The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Squid Girl season 2 was ready for release this month,and i,m sure i remember reading some time ago this was going to be one of the series they promised to release regarding all the other problems,but i really did not take what they said as 100% gospel but this news still sucks big time,i was really looking forward to Squid Girl. :(

Rui said:
http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=432787270137865&id=134953719921223&comment_id=2897243&offset=0&total_comments=6

Squid Girl season 2 isn't coming.

R
thoseC*** teasing, back stabbing, M***** *******, W******, how dare they i love squid girl

Last edited by a moderator:
Squid Girl. :(

Joshawott said:
Hiro Mashima has just now tweeted: "Anime is not the end. Don't stop believing".
We all know that there is something else to announce following the news that the anime is ending at the end of the month. Maybe this was a hint towards more to come, or reassurance that the manga will still go on?
This is such an unintentionally awesome tweet.

Rui said:
I've decided I'm excited about Daisuki now. There's almost no way it can make the streaming situation worse for the UK
Well, there wasn't much chance of that, until someone went and jinxed the whole situation. :p

/remains sceptical

--

Actual point of my post (not new, but I don't think it has been posted here):

Vertical is potentially interested in translating the Shin Sekai Yori novel:

vertical-inc.tumblr.com/post/42116170457/any-chances-of-seeing-a-from-the-new-world-translation

vertical-inc.tumblr.com/post/44106397978/for-the-ssy-likes-isnt-400-likes-enough-thats

This would be pretty sweet, although I'm not even remotely convinced they could get 4500 preorders at $25 a piece.

Mangaranga said:
It's stupid that we are still getting most releases as DVD only, and even then they are in the inferior PAL format even though the whole PAL vs NTSC thing is completely irrelevant nowadays.
PAL is technically superior in terms of resolution; the only problem is the different frame rate. There were problems in the past with conversions from NTSC masters which negated the benefits of PAL, but with everything coming in HD formats these days that's not an issue.

Does anyone know if Madman's release of Nichijou is PAL or NTSC?
Madman always state on their site. It's PAL.

reborn said:
From the sounds of things, it seems the issue is from within Japan rather than within MB itself.
Given MB's problems with pretty much everyone, that may amount to the same thing.

Re: Re:

Mangaranga said:
Shiroi Hane said:
Mangaranga said:
Yeah I just checked my emails and saw the reply to my tweet, I'm not interested in a PAL conversion though.
It's not going to be an NTS to PAL conversion; Madman work from HD Masters these days. It will be sped up, but pitch-corrected.
That's what I meant when I said PAL conversion. It's still a deal breaker. I notice the speedup far too easily and it bugs the hell out of me. I want to watch the show how it was intended to be watched.

DVDs should just die when it comes to anime...

I can't stand NTSC. Lower resolution that PAL for newer shows which are converted from HD source, 480 lines against 576, and worse NTSC is 60 fields per second, so they have to use 2:3 pulldown to extrapolate 6 extra frames per second. And very few anime distributors bother mastering their shows in progressive, so we have to live with interlaced playback with combing artefacts and the like, when the ideal situation would be like NSTC mainstream releases, where you'd just switch to progressive and have it decoded back to 24 fps. Try that with anime and you get jerky juddery playback. Some region 1 distros have a problem with the original colours as well. Compare the US Welcome to the NHK, oversaturated mess, to the UK release, with a decent colour balance. The only positive about NTSC is that the audio isn't unsullied.

Don't like PAL either. Yeah, you have the higher resolution, which makes a lot of difference coming from HD sourced anime, and yes you have essentially progressive playback inherent in the format with 50 fields per second equating to 25 frames per second. But playing back at 25 frames per second speeds everything up by 4%. The animation may be smooth and unjuddery, but the audio takes a hit. You either get it chipmunked, or you get it pitch corrected. Good pitch correction is possible, as most mainstream DVDs released in the UK demonstrate, but get it wrong and you wind up with distorted audio with clipping. People complained about that with the first Lord of the Rings Extended Edition, but I haven't heard it in any other Hollywood feature. I do however hear it on most of the Madman sourced transfers I have watched recently, as they are the only AU distro pitch correcting their PAL sped up anime. Siren and Hanabee appear to leave it chipmunked, which in this case I actually prefer as the least annoying of the two options.

There's a rare PAL disc, utterly horrible to watch, that corrects for the missing frame by repeating the 24th frame to create a 25th, thereby maintaining the original audio. The result is a juddery mess to watch, see the Redline DVD for an example, with the image freezing every 24th frame for a fraction of a second..

In an ideal world, all anime would be released as 1080p Blu-ray, but some distros release it as 1080i 60 Hz in the US (interlacing artefacts again), while others in Europe release it as 1080i 50 Hz, which brings the PAL conversion nonsense to a higher definition. Pitch corrected audio again, and in once case repeated frames.

Personally, the only times I've really noticed the PAL speed up is with some opening/ending themes, such as Dance in the Vampire Bund and Strike Witches (both are Madman iirc). Most of the time though, I tend not to notice the speed-up. Personally speaking, I'm not too fussed about PAL vs NTSC.

I don't know if any of you guys have heard this news, but I was recently saddendd to hear of the passing of Toren Smith.

Toren was the founder of Studio Proteus in the late 1980s, and as such was responsible for the repackaging and translation of seminal manga works such as Akira and Appleseed.

It's no exaggeration to say that, as a direct result of Toren's hard work and love of the medium, a whole generation got their first proper introduction to manga.

He will be missed.

HdE said:
I don't know if any of you guys have heard this news, but I was recently saddendd to hear of the passing of Toren Smith.

Toren was the founder of Studio Proteus in the late 1980s, and as such was responsible for the repackaging and translation of seminal manga works such as Akira and Appleseed.

It's no exaggeration to say that, as a direct result of Toren's hard work and love of the medium, a whole generation got their first proper introduction to manga.

He will be missed.
Yeah, I heard about that. Truly a pioneer and a man worthy of respect from English speaking anime and manga fans.

smisu.jpg

R.I.P Smisu, you will live on through your work.

D'oh - I've just been told by Toren's friend and collaborator (and a fellow comic book letterer) Tom Orzechowski that it was MARVEL who first brought Akira to the West via their Epic imprint. Toren was consulting editor on the Dark Horse editions. Oops!

In lighter news

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... nami-block

Toonami has confirmed that the One Piece anime will run on Adult Swim's Toonami block. A premiere date is slated for sometime this year. The announcement was made at Toonami's question-and-answer panel at Atlanta's MomoCon on Sunday.

Funimation's dub of the series previously ran on Cartoon Network's earlier version of the Toonami block from 2007 to 2008 after 4Kids' adaptation ended. Funimation has been streaming English-subtitled episodes as they aired in Japan since 2009.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... nami-block

Adult Swim's Toonami block in the United States will premiere the Evangelion 1.11 cut of the Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone film next Sunday. The announcement was first made at Toonami's question-and-answer panel at Atlanta's MomoCon event on Sunday. The showing will air at 1:00 a.m. on Sunday, March 17 as part of the "Toonami Birthday Party" lineup.

Funimation licensed the film in 2007 and ran a series of North American screenings in 2009.

Anime News Network is currently awaiting confirmation that the One Piece anime will also run on Toonami. Toonami revealed the new design for Tom 5, the programming block's host. The newly designed Tom will debut in April.

From the MangaUK podcast:
Deadman Wonderland is being released on DVD and Blu-ray here. Due out in July.
Aria of the Scarlet Ammo is due out on 8th July, DVD only.
Steins;Gate is DVD and BD, part 1 on 15th July, part 2 on 30th September.

Jerome said he'd like to look at The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya on blu-ray, but a question about old releases on BD will possibly be on the next survey. Clannad won't get a BD release due to poor sales, and neither will Chaos;Head, K-ON! and Ghost in the Shell: SAC.

Joshawott said:
From the MangaUK podcast:
Deadman Wonderland is being released on DVD and Blu-ray here. Due out in July.
Aria of the Scarlet Ammo is due out on 8th July, DVD only.
Steins;Gate is DVD and BD, part 1 on 15th July, part 2 on 30th September.

Jerome said he'd like to look at The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya on blu-ray, but a question about old releases on BD will possibly be on the next survey. Clannad won't get a BD release due to poor sales, and neither will Chaos;Head, K-ON! and Ghost in the Shell: SAC.
Well they did COMPLETELY miss the boat with Clannad so I'm not surprised at all. Shame about SAC not being able to get a BD release, personally I haven't watched it yet, but I'm not going to buy a DVD. It's not really surprising either as I seem to remember Manga saying something about Bandai denying a BD release of it outside Japan.

Steins;Gate is pretty damn late, Funi's Part 1 (Which I own) came out back in September 2012.
Deadman Wonderland getting a BD release also confuses me seeing as it bombed badly in Japan, and it's not like it's that great of a show either. I pretty much had to force myself to watch it all in one sitting because my friends kept going on about me not having finished it. (I stalled it when it was airing.) The ending will also probably set a bunch of people off asking about a sequel which they will never get.

Back