The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

The sequel whining is pretty much nonstop on FUNimation's Facebook page. Personally, I really liked the show but the way it ended and ultimately lacked a continuation did dampen the series in my eyes. I'll definitely pick up the blu-ray though.

Jerome said something interesting in the podcast. Around the 55 minute mark he states that Manga will be using Funimation's Bluray AND DVD Masters for Steins;Gate, and that they licensed directly from Kadokawa.
I thought that they couldn't do NTSC DVDs? Maybe it's a perk of directly licensing the show rather than sub licensing it from Funi.

I might pick up Deadman Wonderland just because Manga are authoring it themselves, and I would like to see more of this, especially with the Sentai's nerfed region A Blurays.
Will be interesting to see if it's sub locked. Might have to ask them about it.

ilmaestro said:
Joshawott said:
FUNimation's Facebook page
I believe this was your first and last mistake.
I do love how I make one criticism on there and I get yelled at like FUNimation are Gods. Like when I complained that the dub of Shakugan no Shana II once referred to Pheles as a Flame Haze when she's a Crimson Denizen...kinda like accidentally referring to Captain America as Red Skull :S.

Spoke to 101 films. They told me that Elfen Lied is selling pretty well, that they're releasing the "Marvel Knights" series and have more Anime planned for this year.

Mangaranga said:
Jerome said something interesting in the podcast. Around the 55 minute mark he states that Manga will be using Funimation's Bluray AND DVD Masters for Steins;Gate, and that they licensed directly from Kadokawa.
I thought that they couldn't do NTSC DVDs? Maybe it's a perk of directly licensing the show rather than sub licensing it from Funi.
It could be they're paying FUNimation to run off a PAL version of the masters because it's cheaper to do it that way than to outsource somewhere else when they are already paying FUNi material access for the BD masters. I would assume any licensing restrictions on NTSC would come from Japan not the US - R2 PAL discs aren't a threat to FUNi's R1 market, but R2 NTSC discs would play on anything in Japan (Japanese PS3s refuse to play PAL discs, and I wouldn't be surprised if some DVD players over there weren't the same).

Shiroi Hane said:
I would assume any licensing restrictions on NTSC would come from Japan not the US - R2 PAL discs aren't a threat to FUNi's R1 market, but R2 NTSC discs would play on anything in Japan (Japanese PS3s refuse to play PAL discs, and I wouldn't be surprised if some DVD players over there weren't the same).

Most standard DVD players from NTSC regions are, from my experience. I question how much of an impact NTSC R2 DVDs would have now though, since most DVD-buyers in Japan nowadays are casual fans who are less likely to import a UK release with missing content months/years down the line. At least for most of the series Manga would be interested in.

R

We still don't know the actual "brick wall" Manga hit, and MVM have got away with three NTSC releases recently. I don't think it is possible any longer to be surprised about licensing restrictions out of reverse import fears however. Exactly how much of an impact locked subs have is debatable; there are people in the West who refuse to buy them but I doubt many (if any) are turning to Japanese releases instead...

PS: I've not listened to the 'cast yet. It was released when I was in work and completely slipped my mind in the evening.

MVM Entertainment
OMG, just been told about 2 new licenses - HUGE series, can't say more now but... eep! #anime

From Twitter Conversations:

New series, subtitle only, not been released in the UK before. It's not JoJo.

MVM Entertainment
We have an announcement to make tomorrow about an unrelated series, and I'll see if I can announce this latest news on Friday.

GolGotha said:
MVM Entertainment
OMG, just been told about 2 new licenses - HUGE series, can't say more now but... eep! #anime

MVM Entertainment
We have an announcement to make tomorrow about an unrelated series, and I'll see if I can announce this latest news on Friday.

New & Popular? Hmm .. Psycho Pass? Magi? Girls Und Panzer?

Dannielle said:
GolGotha said:
MVM Entertainment

MVM Entertainment

New & Popular? Hmm .. SAO? Psycho Pass? Magi?
Since they seem to be doing a lot with Hanabee lately, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if the announcements were any out of Toradora, Bakemonogatari or Nisemonogatari.

Dannielle said:
GolGotha said:
MVM Entertainment

MVM Entertainment

New & Popular? Hmm .. SAO? Psycho Pass? Magi?
Since they seem to be doing a lot with Hanabee lately, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if the announcements were any out of Toradora, Bakemonogatari or Nisemonogatari.

Ah! I don't know as much as everyone else here, I didn't even consider them shows but being a "HUGE SERIES" .. I could totally seeing it being one of the Gatari's now you mention it.

If its Toradora my partner will have fifty fits.

Subtitle only? Hmm...well, I guess that rules out A Certain Magical Index and A Certain Scientific Railgun, unless the title they're announcing on Friday is Index (Yes, I can be hopeful. They did only announce Shana II, not III, Movie or S like FUNi did after all). Speaking of which, could it be a Shakugan no Shana title? (III, Movie or S)?
As for the two recent sub-only ones...recent hmm...Beelzebub? (As much as I'd love it to be, I doubt it due to the length of the series. That needs licensing by someone though). Bunny Drop? (Seriously, I'd love it to be Bunny Drop!). Oreimo perhaps?

My personal huge UK license wants tbh, are Bunny Drop and A Certain Magical Index. If either of those gets licensed, I will be a very happy bunny.

If one of them did turn out to be one of the monogataris, I'd wouldn't mind it but I doubt MVM would risk releasing them on blu-ray :S. If it turns out to be Toradora, I'll buy if they have the OVA.

Joshawott said:
If one of them did turn out to be one of the monogataris, I'd wouldn't mind it but I doubt MVM would risk releasing them on blu-ray :S. If it turns out to be Toradora, I'll buy if they have the OVA.

Surely if it was one of the mongataris it'd be bakemongatari? Maybe they don't technically have to go in order but as it's older it'd be easier to secure a liscence surely and it'd make some sense if they kept it in order.

I'd love to see Toradora with the OAV but i'm still holding out hope that maybe Anime Ltd can pick it up and do some kind of BD ltd edition, that might be a pipe dream though.

Based on statistics and track records my prediction is that MVM will probably have Is This a Zombie? for one of the announcements, I know a few people around here want that one.

For the sub show/s I pretty much have to go with pretty much anything listed above like your doras, gataris and drops, the only other show I can think of that they could have picked up is Arakawa Under the Bridge, it's less likely but could be possible.

Back