The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Ian Wolf said:
Ath said:
Huh, now that would be very interesting if it's happening. I've tweeted the company in question. Let's see what the response is! They seem to be a small distributor of niche independent films.

You might have some wait. It looks like they haven't tweeted in almost a month.

Yeah it was a bit of a wait, but they've responded to me and a load of others from here now. They seem to be taking suggestions for future catalogue titles to be rescued as well, might be worth sending them a list. Anything to maybe get out-of-print ADV stuff like Full Metal Panic and Nadesico back on UK shelves!

EDIT: I just realised, Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid never got a UK release. Might be more difficult for 101 to release that one depending on who's got the licence. Anyone out there know who, if anyone, holds the UK licence for it?

FMP: TSR was license by Kadokawa USA and distributed by FUNimation. When KadoUSA closed down it went to FUNi completely. They also later grabbed the other two instalments also.
I recall Andrew (then of Beez) saying that TSR was in licensing hell since Kadokawa Japan said that FUNimation had the UK rights, but FUNimation said they didn't.
None of their FMP videos have ever been accessible on YouTube and besides that, I don't think Manga has ever picked up anything back catalogue from FUNimation.

Given that 101Films first two releases are from this list, it mightn't hurt to suggest some of the others:
http://www.theanimenetwork.co.uk/Watch-Online

--edit--

Andrew's post: viewtopic.php?p=290741#p290741

Cool, cheers for the info. Of that list on TAN, I'm reminded that I haven't seen RahXephon yet, that might be a worthwhile suggestion.

101Films have said that they'll check if the Elfen Lied rerelease contains the OVA or not.

I doubt at this stage that it will, but it would be nice. I'd heard rumours that ADV did license it, but just never released it.

EDIT:
MEZZO DSA! Come on 101 Films, give me Mezzo DSA!

HMV's price is wrong. The RRP is £59.99 which is still high (I believe ADV's RRP for the box set was £50 and the four singles were £19.99) although it will sell for less.

It is cool that we have another distributor willing to enter the market now, especially for older titles. I think it'd be good to see more of the older ADV titles back out there on the shelves. My expectations are modest, but I wish 101 films every success.

That Elfen Lied re-release sounds interesting. Already have the US release from ADV, but if it comes in nice packaging and includes the OVA, I might have to double-dip on this one.

Elfen Lied really does go for silly money on eBay. With the sort of money people are throwing around they could get a copy of the R1 set and a multi-region DVD player on which to play those and many other R1 discs. Given what some fans are prepared to pay, I suppose the £60 RRP (closer to £40 after discounts I imagine)--double what Manga UK charge for newer, similar length series--isn't as outlandish as I first thought.

Rena Ryuugu said:
Sentai has licensed Amagami SS+

Fantastic! Been hoping Sentai would pick this up. It's a shame the first season never got a BD release, and I don't think this one will either. Can't say I'm surprised though; I don't imagine Amagami SS is the greatest money-earner.

How flamin' awesome are Discotek, eh?

This year, there's been truthfully very little anime that grabbed my attention and made me feel any sort of need to buy it (good thing, too, as my finances are in a bad state). However, Captain Harlock's gonna be an insta-buy! I literally cannot wait!

Devil Survivor 2 is getting an anime. Seiji Kishi who directed the Persona 4 anime (as well as Angel Beats, Kamisama Dolls and Humanity has Declined) is in charge.

That it's Devil Survivor 2 rather than Devil Survivor 1 is probably a sign that Devil Survivor 2 Overclocked is on the way (I think there's a mention of an upcoming game project in the announcement). Maybe Ghostlight should hold back on releasing the DS version of Devil Survivor 2?

I'd hate to be the company who tries to license this for us considering the shenanigans Atlus/Index have been pulling with Persona over in the West. They'll probably force all western releases to be on VHS and in black and white or something :p

Back