The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Simon Muir @simonm094
@KazeUK Any news on Geass Languages and whether audio is 2.0 or 5.1? Also does it contain the Booklet from the FR release?
Kazé-United Kingdom @KazeUK
@simonm094 Doesn't contain the booklet from France as that was a collectors item for the €99 edition, audio we will check on.
I kinda expected this response :/

And I'm suddenly glad that I'm in the Region B zone. I would have pre-ordered Lain otherwise and would have had to discover this for myself...

Mania

The manufacture quality of the packaging and books is suspect, and Funimation have cut corners on the video transfer...

Comparing Japanese to US Blu-rays...

JP BLU-RAY 01
US BLU-RAY 01

JP BLU-RAY 02
US BLU-RAY 02

JP BLU-RAY 03
US BLU-RAY 03

Links don't work...

Ah just go to mania and click the links from there.
Digital Banding like that would be bad on DVD!

Eep! I'm rubbish at spotting banding but even I can see it! Someone at Funi QC must've goofed surely.

I have problems getting URL tags to work here whenever even the address is secure (HTTPS), removing the "s" might do it?

That is some horrible banding, and that is why I'm highly sceptical of companies cramming as many as 13 episodes on a BD50.

Usually Funimation (and Sentai, and NISA) use one BD50 (8/9 episodes) and one BD25 (3/4 episodes) for their two-disc sets. I think that's what TFP poster is referring to when he says Funi should've used two BD50s, not that they used two BD25s.

My copy is still sealed. Just wondering if I should invoke the distance selling regulations and send it right on back to UP.

Links work fine for me btw.

Code Geass not containing the French booklets is nicht gut...seriously considering cancelling my order then, as I already own the Beez DVDs. Would the difference between me upscaling the DVDs on my BD player and playing the BDs instead be noticeable enough to warrant another purchase?

Joshawott said:
Code Geass not containing the French booklets is nicht gut...seriously considering cancelling my order then, as I already own the Beez DVDs. Would the difference between me upscaling the DVDs on my BD player and playing the BDs instead be noticeable enough to warrant another purchase?
I know right :/
I put in a pre-order yesterday and I'm not sure if I still want it.

As for quality, the Japanese BD looks alot better than the DVD, but this is Kaze, so who knows how it will look in comparison.

Just Passing Through said:
Ian Wolf said:
I'm hoping that it comes out over hear soon, because Dog Days is one of the few dubs I'd like to hear, mainly because Sink is Cornish, and I just wonder if the American voice artists would at least try to attempt a Cornish accent.

S/he'll (never seen Dog Days) sound as Cornish as Negi Springfield sounds Welsh...
Annoyed as I was, I'm worried as to how a Welsh Negi would have sounded since there's no way they would have sprung for an actual Welsh person - and you could argue that he wasn't born in Wales and also is supposed to have some sort of University language degree or something, and I know people who have gone to Uni in England and come back all Queen's English.

Rightstuf charge when they ship, that's why I always end up getting my stuff delayed due to changing my card after ordering (translation: I'm sad because my Bakemonogatari shipped late thanks to the the AoL disaster).

R

I'm amazed MB is still in business. Wonder if my order for Ai No Kusabi will ever be filled if it keeps slipping back like this...

I am not angry with them as they're obviously in trouble and delaying releases hurts them more than it hurts customers, but I can't see any positive resolution for their woes if things continue down this path.

R

I think it's time Media Blasters closed its doors for good. In addition to all the cancellations and sitting on licenses for years, they had the first series of Bakuman dubbed but only paid for half of it, leaving NYAV Post to either wait for another company to pick up the tab or just write it off entirely.

I've also seen John Sirabella behaving on forums in a way that makes Jerome from Manga look downright professional. I wouldn't be sad to see them go.

Back