The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

So Tiger & Bunny is going to be released in 4 parts? At £90+ for the lot? I have to wonder whether that's asking a little too much of the average UK anime fan. I think I'll wait and see whether Viz's cheaper release is borked in any major way (they have, in the past, left out sign sub tracks) though I would like those booklets...

Just Children Who Chase Lost Voice for me from that lot. But I might go with Sentai's release depending on the borkage level.

Personally, I wish Kazé had put English subtitles on the French "Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion" release. I probably won't even watch the English dub.

fabricatedlunatic said:
So Tiger & Bunny is going to be released in 4 parts? At £90+ for the lot? I have to wonder whether that's asking a little too much of the average UK anime fan. I think I'll wait and see whether Viz's cheaper release is borked in any major way (they have, in the past, left out sign sub tracks) though I would like those booklets...

Just Children Who Chase Lost Voice for me from that lot. But I might go with Sentai's release depending on the borkage level.
UP1 currently has the US Tiger & Bunny volume 1 listed for £34.04. So you'll probably be paying just over £70 for the series (or about £60 if you buy from Rightstuf), which will most likely just be a barebones discs in an amaray deal. But then compare that to the Kazé release (which ours is most likely going to mirror):
227976_10151086594398248_1943834105_n.jpg

It all depends on your preference really. For me, I'd much prefer to buy the Kazé UK sets for £23 a pop (I imagine they will be at 3 month intervals like the Kazé releases?) and get those cool extras. The price difference of £20 is enough to sway me to Kazé (from 1UP), but £30 less from Rightstuf (if customs don't hit you)...I can see why that would be tempting.

Going by the press release that just hit UKanime(and will hit us soon i expect), it looks like the MCM expo is now getting a new venue every year, Glasgow. Seems to be getting it's first showing on August 31st next year with the same array of things we've come to expect from the MCM expo. There is more obviously, but yeah here's the linkage for the UKanime coverage

Joshawott said:
UP1 currently has the US Tiger & Bunny volume 1 listed for £34.04. So you'll probably be paying just over £70 for the series (or about £60 if you buy from Rightstuf), which will most likely just be a barebones discs in an amaray deal.
Damn that tiny 8% discount. Part of the problem for me is that I've not seen T&B, so plonking down £90 (or £70 for that matter) is not an enticing prospect. Also, while the Kaze release looks nice enough, I understand it's not been confirmed that we'll be getting the same package. What's the deal with the booklets btw? I was going to say that they'll need translating, but going by that picture they already are (or at least the text on the covers is).

The UK T&B is getting the translated booklets and hero cards (three of each in the first set as per the picture). This was confirmed at Expo in October along with it being a combo pack spread over four sets (two DVDs, one BD per set). They showed the crowd the sample set in the flesh and it was the same as in the photo, with the RE disc art slipcase and - invisible in the photo - three pieces of the LE art covering the outside of the digipack.

Allegedly matching the French release was Andrew's call as the licensor made them hold the release back this long and they decided they may as well use the same materials and make it sexy (not Andrew's exact words, but y'know).

Edit: The booklets had English covers in the Japanese release too to fit with the American superhero themes. The inside is in Japanese (or probably, in French in that photo) so there is translation required.

R

ConanThe3rd said:
On that topic, whatever you do, don't search for "Tiger and Bunny" on Amazon if you're in a work place setting. I learnt that the hard road...

Me too mate, ugh I wish I had brain bleach...

ConanThe3rd said:
Why amazon hasn't removed them yet is anyone's guess. You'd figgure Kaze would have had grievences about the..."Stratigic" placement of that damn mousepad.
That is one huge bootleg storefront they are coming from too.

Just got around to listening to MangaUK's latest podcast. Once the initial Tiger & Bunny releases have sold out, they will probably be repackaged into simple DVD/BD cases.

Rui said:
The UK T&B is getting the translated booklets and hero cards (three of each in the first set as per the picture). This was confirmed at Expo in October along with it being a combo pack spread over four sets (two DVDs, one BD per set).
Ah, okay. I should pay more attention.

ConanThe3rd said:
On that topic, whatever you do, don't search for "Tiger and Bunny" on Amazon if you're in a work place setting. I learnt that the hard road...
You only live once....

/searches

glol!

ConanThe3rd said:

Oh please Conan, it can't be that bad.

*Checks Amazon*

OH LORD WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME.

theirsbailiff said:
ConanThe3rd said:

Oh please Conan, it can't be that bad.

*Checks Amazon*

OH LORD WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME.

It could have been worse... I made the mistake of indulging my curiosity and looked at some other mousemats...

I found a review on amazon for the S,more release of Galaxy Express 999 tv series and as expected it does not look good.Here is the full review,read in horror and disappointment.

Well, I received the set today and I believe my worst fears were realized. The video quality is exactly the same as the streaming version. Macro blocking. Muddy colors. Compression noise. I've essentially paid for what I can watch for free on-line (most Anime streaming services have offered this series for several years now). The only difference is, I don't have to watch commercials on the DVDs. Small consolation for this price.

Video quality -

In a word, horrible. With the hard coded subtitles, there are a ton of compression issues surrounding the text. The text is easy to read, but anything under the text is made massively ugly. There is color banding in solid colors (black background looks alive). Finer detail is lost due to compression. I'm almost positive that S'More just took the streaming video and slapped it onto DVD. That's how they were able to cram 10 episodes onto a single disc.

Menus -

The menu is OK. It's simple. You can watch all episodes or choose a single episode from the menu. It is functional.

Extras -

The listed extras are listed as scripts from the show. This is the only extra available, and as odd as it is to say, this is BRILLIANT. They are PDFs of the dialog from each episode, which was used to create the subtitles. Yeah, silly to have this since I can just watch it subbed here, BUT... I have the R2 DVDs without subtitles, so I could, in theory, print these out and follow along (if I didn't understand what was being said anyway). They aren't anything super amazing for most people, but I appreciate them.

Audio -

Galaxy Express 999 was recorded in 1978. It was dialog driven and mono. The mono track is doubled for stereo here, but it is just a mono track. It sounds just as good as the R2 DVDs, which is good. I would say this is the only place the DVDs shine.

Packaging -

There are 4 discs, 2 per DVD case with 2 DVD cases. The disc artwork is exactly the same on each disc. It's just a still from an episode of the show. This is sort of how the R2 DVDs were done (they took a screen shot and just outlined a character on the disc). The cover artwork is nice and the spine artwork is good as well. The title, Galaxy Express 999, looks just like the Discotek releases of the 3 Galaxy Express movies, which is a good touch (though probably demanded by Toei)

The cardboard box that hold the two discs is nice, but nothing amazing.

Other oddness:

There are no chapters. The only chapters are the beginning of each episode. If you don't want to watch the opening credits, you have to fast forward. Hitting NEXT will take you to the next episode.

Each episode is preceded by the Toei logo. Further proof this is just exactly the same files used for the streaming service.

The end credits pause for 1/2 a seconds before it starts. No idea what happened there, but it's kind of annoying.

Back