The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Doraemon666 said:
I found a review on amazon for the S,more release of Galaxy Release 999 tv series and as expected it does not look good.Here is the full review,read in horror and disappointment.

Well, I received the set today and I believe my worst fears were realized. The video quality is exactly the same as the streaming version. Macro blocking. Muddy colors. Compression noise. I've essentially paid for what I can watch for free on-line (most Anime streaming services have offered this series for several years now). The only difference is, I don't have to watch commercials on the DVDs. Small consolation for this price.

Video quality -

In a word, horrible. With the hard coded subtitles, there are a ton of compression issues surrounding the text. The text is easy to read, but anything under the text is made massively ugly. There is color banding in solid colors (black background looks alive). Finer detail is lost due to compression. I'm almost positive that S'More just took the streaming video and slapped it onto DVD. That's how they were able to cram 10 episodes onto a single disc.
Oh, f*ck you, S'more Entertainment. F*ck you with implements too large for whatever orifices you posses to comfortably accommodate.

S'more have managed to screw up just about everything with this release and with Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, I'm surprised they even remembered to put the discs in the packaging. The licence should have gone to Discotek, didn't they have first refusal or something? I vaguely remember reading that they passed on it for some reason, it's a pity. Toei probably weren't much help either.

I bought Bo^7 >_>;

I didn't particular expect a good release for GE999. Might pick it up anyway so my other half can watch it, though it won't be a priority - I'm used to western releases sucking, but it naturally affects the amount I'm willing to spend on them!

R

I emailed UP1 asap this morning and cancelled my pre-order for Galaxy Express 999 tv series and just told them to put the money i have on credit towards my december pre-orders,still really annoyed about this but then again i,m not in the least bit surprised,i keep on thinking how amazing a job Discotek would have done if they managed to license the series,and i,m sure when word gets around about this release,S,more will get everything they deserve because i cant see anyone buying this set now and considering the age of the show it was already only going to sell to a small market of people so they have without doubt shot themselves in the foot,will they learn there lesson lets hope so the last we all need is another classic series falling into there hands.

According to this, Studio Ghibli's next films are The Wind Rises (Miyazaki) and Princess Kaguya Story (Takahata). The former is about the man who designed the Zero fighter plane for Japan (I guess that was his biographical work?), while the latter is based on the folk story "Tale of the Bamboo Cutter" (wasn't Takahata known to be working on that for a while?).

Joshawott said:
According to this, Studio Ghibli's next films are The Wind Rises (Miyazaki) and Princess Kaguya Story (Takahata). The former is about the man who designed the Zero fighter plane for Japan (I guess that was his biographical work?), while the latter is based on the folk story "Tale of the Bamboo Cutter" (wasn't Takahata known to be working on that for a while?).
I,m really looking forward to Isao Takahata,s new movie,yeah i think if my memory serves me it was first announced way back in 2009 and Hayao Miyazaki,s new movie sounds fascinating,Porco Rosso is one of my fave movies ever so another Miyazaki movie about fighter planes will be out of this world.

Damn. Kaze are on fire in early 2013. They're taking a whole load of my money with their BD releases, un-go joins my ever growing Kaze preorder list (when available...)

Nice...looking forward to more scenes with Eclair :D

I didn't mind the fanservice in the 2nd season but Rebecca's first transformation scene was overkill

But certainly the 1st season was better. Hoping for more in the 3rd though

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hoping that it comes out over hear soon, because Dog Days is one of the few dubs I'd like to hear, mainly because Sink is Cornish, and I just wonder if the American voice artists would at least try to attempt a Cornish accent.

Ian Wolf said:
I'm hoping that it comes out over hear soon, because Dog Days is one of the few dubs I'd like to hear, mainly because Sink is Cornish, and I just wonder if the American voice artists would at least try to attempt a Cornish accent.

S/he'll (never seen Dog Days) sound as Cornish as Negi Springfield sounds Welsh...

Just Passing Through said:
Ian Wolf said:

S/he'll (never seen Dog Days) sound as Cornish as Negi Springfield sounds Welsh...

Sink's a boy.

Ian Wolf said:

...Wat? :O I come from Cornwall (eh mix of that & Plymouth) & much of my family is from there so this... intrigues me.

Lawrence said:
Kinda like how they dubbed Hetalia?
I wouldn't have minded if Strike Witches had got a similar treatment, might have made the dub a little more enjoyable.

Do you think they even know what a Cornish accent sounds like? To be honest I don't think I do either, at least not off the top of my head.

If they did try a Cornish accent it would probably come out as pirate.

Dannielle said:
...Wat? :O I come from Cornwall (eh mix of that & Plymouth) & much of my family is from there so this... intrigues me.

Both series can still be watched on Crunchyroll I think.

Back