The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

At the moment, MVM have said DVD only.

No surprise, considering their comments about Broken Blade. I actually dropped Bodacious Space Pirates because it was going soooo slow. I doubt it would sell enough here to justify a BD release.

Tiger & Bunny: The Beginning's DVD/BD release in Japan will have English subs. The blu-ray is also region free (wasn't the main series just like this?).

Sauce.

I might actually import the regular BD...

Professor Irony said:
Dunno if this was reported at the time, but I see Mamoru Oshii has a new live-action film on the slate for 2014, this time in English. Should be interesting to see how it fares. I never did catch Avalon, but I gather the reviews were pretty mixed.

Source
Update to original article
Yep, I saw that, but honestly, I can't get excited about a new Oshii film. I'll cherish ghost in the shell forever, but that's about it.

When I stop and think about it, I've actually not seen all that many of Oshii's directorial works outside of GitS. I do stand by the first Patlabor movie as being a good film though, even if I don't get what so many people see in the second one.

I really need to see Beautiful Dreamer as well, I know that's usually rated very highly.

Talking of Oshii films, is there no love for Sky Crawlers? Okay it's not as good as GitS but it is an Oshii film and as such is worth a look. Actually now that I think about it that might be all of Oshii's works that I've seen. Although Patlabor is on my 'to do' list.

More Australian Licence announcements...

Hanabee New Title Acquisitions at Supanova Adelaide

February Release|
.hack//G.U TRILOGY

March Release|
Hakuoki Season 1
Gyo (OVA)

Madman Entertainment

Kamisama Dolls

When Kyohei Kuga moves to Tokyo to escape the strictures of life in a small town, he thinks he’s left his old life behind. But when he discovers a bloody corpse, he also discovers that the past isn’t so easily left behind. Especially when the past is as unusual as Kyohei’s. You see, back in his home town, Kyohei was a “seki” – an individual able to control “kakashi,” mysterious dolls that are regarded as vessels for “God”, with his mind. And now it seems that there’s a kakashi loose in Tokyo, and it just may be up to Kyohei to stop it and its seki.

Kamisama Dolls will be available next year on bilingual DVD & Blu-Ray and through select digital outlets.

Blood-C The Last Dark

Tokyo has enacted the Youth Protection Ordinance, minors are forbidden to be out at night, and the internet is policed however, Sirrut, an underground rebel organization, has declared war on Fumito Nanahara. Sirrut uses the internet to try and find information in cyberspace, and they discover something more gruesome, TOWER, a mysterious organization behind Fumito that is rumored to be conducting experiments involving human beings, and alluding to people being…eaten.

Blood-C The Last Dark will be available next year on bilingual DVD & Blu-Ray and through select digital outlets.

Battle Girls

Yoshino Hide (nickname Hideyoshi) is your average, everyday teenager – interested only in fashion, snacks and her afterschool free time. And destined to fail her next history test without some sort of miraculous intervention. So, she stops by the local shrine to offer up a prayer or two to any deity that might be listening. But as everyone knows, you should be careful what you wish (or pray) for, and after she’s engulfed by a mysterious blue light, Hideyoshi finds herself in a strange new world that appears to be feudal Japan. Only, all the inhabitants of this world, including feudal warlord Oda Nobunaga, are women! Now Hideyoshi finds herself on a quest to gather the pieces of the Crimson Armor and help Nobunaga conquer the land!

Battle Girls – Time Paradox will be available next year on bilingual DVD & Blu-Ray and through select digital outlets.

Appleseed XIII

After facing massive destruction from a devastating war, the city Olympus has become the last stronghold as the center of command for the world. In order to protect the city from a group of terrorists known as the Argonauts, former LAPD SWAT member, Deunan Knotts, runs special military forces consisting of Biroids (cloned humans) and her cyborg partner Brialeos. Knotts must protect the city at all costs but is met with difficulties when Al Ceides, the Argonaut leader thought to be dead, resurfaces and causes problems.

Appleseed XIII will be available next year on bilingual DVD & Blu-Ray and through select digital outlets.

MangaUK's early 2013 schedule

7th January:
Shigurui: Death Frenzy (DVD and BD)
Dragonball Z season 5

14th January:
Bleach season 10 part 1

21st January:
Code Geass season 1 (DVD and BD)
The World God Only Knows S2

28th January:
Journey to Agartha (DVD, BD and exclusive double play limited edition, limited to 2000 copies)

4th February:
Tiger & Bunny Part 1

11th February:
Eden of the East Complete Collection (DVD and BD)
Baka & Test season 2

18th February:
Redakai season 1

25th February:
Bleach Hell Verse (DVD, BD and collectors edition DVD/BD)

4th March:
Dragonball season 6

11th March:
Code Geass R2 (DVD and BD)

18 March:
Persona 4 Part 2 (DVD/BD combi pack)
Naruto Shippuden box 12

25th March:
Mardock Scramble: The Second Compression (DVD and BD)
Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror (DVD and BD)

Shame to see T&B drop back into February and Mardock Scramble to be 2 months after the Sentai release, but oh well.

EDIT:
HMV have Tiger & Bunny 1 for £32. Wut? For £3 more you can get the entire first season of Code Geass on blu-ray.

Plenty on that schedule for me to pick up. TWGOK2, Persona 4 part 2, Mardock Scramble: TSS, the Journey to Agartha limited edition are all definite buys, I'd get BakaTest 2, but I'll probably grab the US BD release from UP1 when it comes out. Hopefully Tiger and Bunny's price drops a little when other retailers get the listing up!

Mardock, Agartha, TWGOK2 and Geass are definate preorders for me. £35 for each whole BD season of Geass sounds like one hell of a bargain to me, I was expecting them to be closer to £50.

For me, Mardock Scramble, Code Geass and Agartha are definite buys. Tiger & Bunny will be too if I can find it for cheaper. £32 for 7 episodes is ridiculous.

Considering it looks like being a collectors edition doublepack (digipack, booklets, cards etc) I understand the pricing, I assume by release amazon will be doing it for around £25-£30 and in line with the other collectors editions Manga have done (Freedom for example)

Plenty of stuff I want:

Code Geass season 1 (DVD and BD)
Journey to Agartha (DVD, BD and exclusive double play limited edition, limited to 2000 copies)
Tiger & Bunny Part 1
Bleach Hell Verse (DVD, BD and collectors edition DVD/BD)
Code Geass R2 (DVD and BD)
Persona 4 Part 2 (DVD/BD combi pack)

The Agartha set is a cigar box apparently. could be awesome.

Tiger and Bunny is also brand new whereas Geass has already been released in the UK (on DVD). Comparing a first edition deluxe release where they bent over backwards to include as many JP extras as possible to a catalogue release is a bit unfair, and it will condemn us to an eternity of glitchy bargain bin releases if the experiments fail :s

Plus, Geass is cut (by one single second, and only on one of the sets, but I just felt like adding that in).

R

HMV have just dropped there prices

T&B Part 1 now £23

Persona 4 parts 1 & 2 £20 each

Bleach 4 Collectors ed £20 (double play)

Code Geass £26 each season Blu Ray (BARGIN!!!!)

Back