The General Conversation Area

Goof Troop was kind of interesting as, rather than being a platformer, it has an overhead viewpoint and plays like a more puzzle-focused version of Zelda.
I remember seeing a review of it in a Super Nintendo magazine I sometimes used to get called Super Play. I never actually played it, though.

I think Capcom also did the SNES tie-in game for Bonkers
. . .
it looked like it was a platformer with a similar dash-based mechanic to Konami's Tiny Toons game.
I also remember the SNES Tiny Toons, but again I'm not sure that I ever played it. 🤔
I've played the Sega Mega Drive version, though, which is a quite different game.

It's always kind of interested me just how different a particular tie-in could be on two different consoles. The example that immediately springs to mind is Aladdin, which is an entirely different game on the Super Nintendo versus the Mega Drive. In this case, the games are by two different developers: Capcom for the SNES and Virgin Games for the Mega Drive. The former had your quite standard stomp-on-enemies-heads-to-defeat-them game mechanics, whereas in the latter, your character had to slash at enemies with his scimitar. That game also had a very interesting visual style to it that sought to emulate the look of cel animation, and I've long wondered how much the differences in the two are simply down to each developer's own individual ideas and how much is down to wanting to show off each console's relative strengths.

aladdin.jpg

Aladdin on the Sega Mega Drive

(No shiny penny for me here, because even after looking up Bonkers, the character didn't ring a bell. I guess that one slipped into relative obscurity?)

Yeah, it was the Mega Drive version of Aladdin I had. It's less colourful than the SNES one, but the trouble they took over the animation really paid off - it catches the atmosphere of the film a lot more successfully. I also remember it being a much more challenging game than the SNES version, or at least having that one section in the prison level with an incredibly fiddly jump, that generally lead to me either giving up in frustration or just using the level skip cheat...

(No shiny penny for me here, because even after looking up Bonkers, the character didn't ring a bell. I guess that one slipped into relative obscurity?)

Hah, yeah. I'm told it was very popular in Latin America, but I don't think Bonkers really caught on here or in the US. It's like a more sanitised take on the Who Killed Roger Rabbit? formula, pairing a human cop with a cartoon cat.

a shiny penny to anyone who remembers Bonkers
I'll take it, as long as it's not one of these newfangled decimal ones.

I remember finding Bonkers only slightly less annoying than his original partner did, but I still watched it for Miranda. I guess I haven't really changed much. I'd have been what, about 9 when that reached UK shores? And she wasn't even my first cartoon crush, I think that honour goes to either Teela from He-Man or Vanessa Warfield from M.A.S.K.

Last edited:
Looking at the opening again, I did think there was quite a bit of care gone into her character design. Not quite April O’Neil and her weirdly erotic jumpsuit, but I’ll allow it.

Hah, yeah. I'm told it was very popular in Latin America, but I don't think Bonkers really caught on here or in the US. It's like a more sanitised take on the Who Killed Roger Rabbit? formula, pairing a human cop with a cartoon cat.

Oh! Ok, it didn't ring a bell until after I watched that Bonkers OP - I now remember that series well. It aired on TV in the late afternoons and I used to watch it on a little 7" Black and white CRT TV we had in our kitchen, after work while getting supper ready. It aired on a daily basis around the same time Aladdin was airing, mid 1990's. I remember watching both of them on that little television during a Disney time block on some cable channel. I wasn't overly crazy about the show, I liked Aladdin much better. I would have been in my mid 30's around then - still watching cartoons then, still watching them now, lol...

Man I love how the artists for Kong Skull Island put in varying degree's of effort for the front cover based on the format.

Hey look it's Kong
91-TrYe5hGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

A bit better
81iSLkkuJIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This is the one people will buy anyway
81dBmmo0t6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It's a good movie btw if you like monster flicks. I saw it on Amazon Prime recently in anticipation for Godzilla vs Kong next month.

With more Chinese produced figures being released, does anyone know a site similar to myfigurecollection that lists Chinese figures

Or any good blogs?

MFC wont list Hobby Max figures for example

A random query popped into my head earlier, how many other countries are like Japan where people are known by their family name at first before getting called by their given name when someone gets to know them.

My brain works in mysterious ways

A random query popped into my head earlier, how many other countries are like Japan where people are known by their family name at first before getting called by their given name when someone gets to know them.

My brain works in mysterious ways
Most of them, I think. I mean in English speaking countries "Mr/Mrs/Miss" is our "san" and most other countries have their own versions of that. Perhaps it's become less common now with businesses trying to seem more chummy with people by addressing them by their first name in e-mails or other correspondence, but that wasn't the case until recently. Certainly if anyone I don't know rings me up they'll still use my surname (or both names) rather than my first. I think it's probably still polite to do so the first time you meet or talk to someone unless it's in a relaxed social context.

When I went to sleep yesterday, I was feeling the most positive and forward-looking I have felt in a long time. Things were going well. "A little too well" I joked to my friends before turning in for the night.

Shortly after I got up this morning, I could have kicked in a few doors and emptied several assault rifle magazines into some choice targets, so it's probably a good job I don't own one. I simply spat the verbal equivalent of a few hundred rounds down the phone at people instead.

One day, when this is all over and I can say things publicly without prejudicing any ongoing matters, I'll write up my Brexit/Covid experience with the British government. Hopefully it will be both hilarious and horrifying. Perhaps I'll even share it with some media outlets because I think they might be very interested in publicising my experiences, at least the ones that aren't on the government payroll. Watch this space.

Eh, stuff happens. I'm just glad I'm a considerably stronger person than I was, otherwise today might have broken me. What is it with stuff happening to me in years ending in a 1? Not looking forward to whatever 2031 has in store. Probably death.

So Teesside now has a freeport... Which means no tariffs on imported goods and no tax until they’re sold into the UK domestic market.

With all the taxes and handling fees people are paying on importing at the moment, I sense a business opportunity.

Does anyone else always feel a little sad whenever they arrive on the forums and see that there's no new posts in the UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains thread? 😛😭
At present I actually approach this thread with trepidation lest I'm tempted to spend well past my monthly quota on irresistible bargains. That, and the AoL deal of the week - the latter has been battering me since I found out about it from the Christmas sales thread. Oh well, I convince myself that in the long run I'm saving money...

Back