The General Conversation Area

I can’t quite believe the one, solitary winter I haven’t spent in the UK has led me to miss out on Icy Storm Darcy (which by rights should now be referred to as Storm Mega Trix) and all this wonderful snow.

Since we'd gone off-topic for the original thread... 😋

I can't handle them either - I downloaded the Mega Man Collection on PS4 ages ago and I'm hopeless at it. Same with the Disney Afternoon Collection - you might expect games based on Ducktales and Chip 'n' Dale to be easy, but they're hard 😭
Most of the Afternoon games aren’t too bad, but Darkwing Duck is basically a Mega Man game in which you have three weapons, two of which are useless, and no passwords...

Darkwing Duck is anime, right? But I digress.
Reminds me... I had a game called U.N. Squadron for my ZX Spectrum back in the early nineties, even before I got into anime. Took me 20 years or more to realise it was based on Area 88.
I've got Duck Tales for my NES. I'm pretty sure I've finished it all three difficulty settings, but that was back in the day, so... 😅

I was at a few retro games markets back in 2019 (before everything stopped 🙄) and I weighed up getting the copy of Chip 'n' Dale for the NES that one of the stalls had, but I didn't bother in the end, so that was probably a good thing.

Why do Capcom make their games so bloody hard???? Street Fighter II Turbo for the SNES, I'm looking at you too! I had to use bleedin' save states on my SNES Mini to finish the thing on even the standard-difficulty non-Turbo mode! The trouble I had getting past Ken playing as Chun Li... 🤦‍♂️

To be fair, I'm just not cut out for fighting games. Except maybe Smash Bros.

I can't handle them either - I downloaded the Mega Man Collection on PS4 ages ago and I'm hopeless at it. Same with the Disney Afternoon Collection - you might expect games based on Ducktales and Chip 'n' Dale to be easy, but they're hard 😭

guess i'll follow suit and reply to this here like neil

the best way to figure megaman is to think of it as a game built on trial and error basically, you figure out which boss you can kill easiest then continue to see which attack that the boss drops kills the others easiest

it also helps to have the cheat card that was included in the physical version so you can find out easily which boss is weakest to which boss drop

guess i'll follow suit and reply to this here like neil

the best way to figure megaman is to think of it as a game built on trial and error basically, you figure out which boss you can kill easiest then continue to see which attack that the boss drops kills the others easiest

it also helps to have the cheat card that was included in the physical version so you can find out easily which boss is weakest to which boss drop
I'm not even good enough to get to any of the bosses - I always just get annihilated by minions firing bullets all over the place! 😭

In theory, I think you can beat all the bosses in Megaman using just the arm-cannon, but I do not like pain enough to put that to the test.

Interestingly, I think Capcom's Disney games do get a lot easier once you get into the SNES-era. It took me going back as an adult to complete most of the NES ones (and to even get past the first boss in Chip n Dale), but even as a kid, I remember the likes of Aladdin, Goof Troop and the various Mickey Mouse games (I think there were like three of them?) being much more forgiving.

With hindsight, I think the NES games were arguably a lot more innovative though. I'm sure it would have been easier to just bang out a competent Mario clone and call it a day, but they all, to a greater or lesser extent, feel like there was a genuine effort being made to do something unique, even if they were often cryingly difficult...

the best way to figure megaman is to think of it as a game built on trial and error
With Mega Man 2, one of the (many) problems I found with it is that it doesn't really offer opportunities to test what each of your new weapons does. I mean, as soon as you use it, it starts to deplete its power gauge, and something like, say, the Crash Bomber only has enough energy for six shots!

And then you've got the annoyance of how you can only replenish a weapon by having it selected. This means that in areas where you can repeatedly gun down enemies for weapon top-up pellets, you've to shoot the enemies to (hopefully) get pellets, then you have to pause to go to the subscreen, select the weapon you want to top up, rejoin the game, collect the pellet, pause, select the Mega Buster again, shoot more enemies to reveal more pellets, pause, select the other weapon again...!

I really didn't like the gameplay mechanics generally. In fact, because of that hassle with the weapon topping-up...
In theory, I think you can beat all the bosses in Megaman using just the arm-cannon, but I do not like pain enough to put that to the test.
I actually did just stick to the arm cannon*. 😅
(Did I do a bad thing?)

What I did, actually, was hold the controller a different way for the boss fights, using my middle finger on the A button and my index finger on the B button to free up more opportunities for firing.

I always just get annihilated by minions firing bullets all over the place! 😭
I finished the game with liberal use of save states, but one of the bosses I could only beat by abusing a bug in the pause menu: every time you unpause the game, Mega Man sort of "regenerates". By rapidly pausing and unpausing at strategic points during the fight, you can get the boss's high-velocity shots to pass right through Mega Man and take no damage. But for that, I'd never have beaten it.

And yet one of the YouTube videos I watched made dodging those shots look so trivial! 😵⁉️

*Except for with Wily, of course. The b*stard.

Last edited:
Nice! You must have seen my posts a while back here or on blu-ray.com about making your own custom sized bags with an impulse sealer... I got the idea to use a sealer to start making my own custom-sized bags like that way back in 2014 - only a year after I started collecting anime. I recently upgraded my 8" sealer to a 16" model to be able to make bags for larger box sets, but I haven't had time to try it out yet!

Interestingly, I think Capcom's Disney games do get a lot easier once you get into the SNES-era.
. . .
even as a kid, I remember the likes of Aladdin, Goof Troop and the various Mickey Mouse games (I think there were like three of them?) being much more forgiving.
I was thinking about this again because... gaming. 😛

In terms of Mickey Mouse games for the SNES, I can only remember The Magical Quest and Mickey Mania. What was the third? 🤔

But yeah, I do remember Aladdin being very straightforward to finish. Never played Goof Troop, though.

I was thinking about this again because... gaming. 😛

In terms of Mickey Mouse games for the SNES, I can only remember The Magical Quest and Mickey Mania. What was the third? 🤔

But yeah, I do remember Aladdin being very straightforward to finish. Never played Goof Troop, though.

Ah yeah - Magical Quest had two sequels, although I think the second sequel was a very late SNES game and ended up being Japan only.

Goof Troop was kind of interesting as, rather than being a platformer, it has an overhead viewpoint and plays like a more puzzle-focused version of Zelda. It's a lot of fun in two player mode, although it's pretty short iirc.

I think Capcom also did the SNES tie-in game for Bonkers (a shiny penny to anyone who remembers Bonkers), but I never played that one. From seeing screengrabs, it looked like it was a platformer with a similar dash-based mechanic to Konami's Tiny Toons game.

Back