The General Conversation Area

I actually like the Resident Evil films too..I don't play the games or really care much for them.. I just thought the films were enjoyable.. I suppose if you followed the story line they probably killed them and wrecked the story it in every way you can imagine.. but as a films on their own just using the name are good..
I was going to get Resident Evil: Degeneration for a while now.. but never got around to it.

The only game that manages to scare me now is Project Zero. Ghosts are the scariest. Not only is it good because the protagonist is always a really sexy Japanese school girl, but the ghosts just appear in front of you unexpectedly when walking, and sends the biggest chill down your spine.

Resident Evil does not scare me. I like them for the general gameplay and action.

Bebop's dub was top notch a decade ago. Now, it's merely good. And though I'm a fairly vocal advocate of English dubbing these days, I totally agree with Amray's assertion about American women voicing young girls. It rarely works for me unless they lay off the helium.

Also agree on Project Zero. That series has amazing atmosphere.

Talking of scary films.....

Name the films that actually affected you alot when you where younger.

Dog soldiers when i was 8....scared the living hell out of me....i didn't sleep for 2 weeks because of the scene where a werewolf appears from the side of the bed.....scary as **** :(
now im fine with it but it wasn't something i enjoyed to say the least......and i used to watch nightmare on elm street like it was tom and jerry....wasn't scared at all.

Donnie Darko......i was 5 and turned on my tv in the middle of the night and it turned onto channel 4 straight away....the face of a freaky rabbit when you've been sat in the dark....and all of a sudden to have that appear....freaked me out abit. i refused to actually participate when we where talking about it in drama at school.
in the end i HAD to watch the film to get over it....now i just think its pathetic.

i like horror movies and there's not many films that are good enough to make me question life afterwards "is there really vampires and werewolfs or are these merely old myths.....myths derive from legends which derives from stories, which could be true" that sort of question.

no scary film affected me really..does Legend of the Overfiend count since i saw that when i was 8, off set me liking anime for about a good 5 years i reckon :p

I'm not a fan of the "horror" genre. Nevertheless I adore Tim Burton's masterpieces, such as; Sleepy Hollow and Sweeney Todd.

Otaku-san said:
Oh im loving Rui's new avatar, noting like transvestites to start my morning

I love anime cross-dressers, but they have to look feminine.

I created one as a character and she.......HE.. looks awesome! I am proud of how he turned out. If I did make a graphic novel, he would definitely be the central character. I think it would be most interesting to have a mini-skirt wearing, effeminate male as a potragonist.

Amray said:
Otaku-san said:
Oh im loving Rui's new avatar, noting like transvestites to start my morning

I love anime cross-dressers, but they have to look feminine.

I created one as a character and she.......HE.. looks awesome! I am proud of how he turned out. If I did make a graphic novel, he would definitely be the central character. I think it would be most interesting to have a mini-skirt wearing, effeminate male as a potragonist.

Potragonist? Pretty sure that word is protagonist, firstly, and secondly ... what's the appeal of entirely effeminate males? Why not just have the character be female?

Because characters who break down gender roles are awesome. I love Ed (Cowboy Bebop), Ranchiki (Maze - arguably most of the cast qualifies in various ways but Ranchiki in particular), Nuriko (Fushigi Yuugi), Isabella (Paradise Kiss) etc. So long as they're interesting characters and not just one dimensional jokes (like my avatar) some fun plots and social relationships can spring from the concept because of the preconceptions people have.

On a slight tangent I also love Takarazuka theatre too where women play up their masculine sides in very male roles, to the delight of their almost entirely female fanbase.

To develop the point further and answer your question I suppose for me as a woman, less broadly masculine men of all flavours (whether really a cross dressing woman, simply effeminate in the way they act or just extremely openly homosexual but otherwise traditionally "manly" in other respects) just come across as less "threatening"; illogical sometimes but it often makes it feel as though they might be easier for me to relate to or be without the hidden agenda a lot of overtly straight males tend to have when speaking to a woman. Of course once you get to know them there's a complete spectrum of personalities involved no matter how a person dresses, acts or looks. It's just an interesting quirk which tends to break down some of the completely unnecessary barriers between the genders which our society likes to encourage.

R

CitizenGeek said:
Potragonist? Pretty sure that word is protagonist, firstly, and secondly ... what's the appeal of entirely effeminate males? Why not just have the character be female?

Firstly, that was a typing error. My brain works faster than my fingers and I end up writing strange words that are actually anagrams. These things happen, callooh callay.

Secondly, having a normal female is not as interesting, due to my own opinion. I said I would make a cross-dressing protagonist to make events more "interesting" and to make something different. It would not just be comedy like any other either, it would be a comedy with a central fem-boy. Imagine the masses amounts of comedy one could put into their production with a cross-dresser. (even if you cannot, I can)

Not only that: cross-dressers are extremely popular at present, believe it or not. This could bring in a wide range of people with curious interest. The world has seen "female" central characters many a time before. The readers could still be a majority of all different people, not only cross-dresser fans but also other boys and girls would like it for the comedy and drama, and such. The only difference is that he has "extras" under that skirt, but I personally think it would be fun.

Rui said:
Because characters who break down gender roles are awesome. I love Ed (Cowboy Bebop), Ranchiki (Maze - arguably most of the cast qualifies in various ways but Ranchiki in particular), Nuriko (Fushigi Yuugi), Isabella (Paradise Kiss) etc. So long as they're interesting characters and not just one dimensional jokes (like my avatar) some fun plots and social relationships can spring from the concept because of the preconceptions people have.

I agree entirely that characters who break down gender roles are interesting. But I do not see the point of characters like Ed in Cowboy Bebop or Bridget in Chrono Crusade. Ed, for example, cannot be said to be "breaking down gender roles" because Ed is entirely male in every single depiction of 'her' character. The creators have simply designed a male character and decided that it's female. There's nothing to suggest Ed, or Bridget, are the opposite gender of the one they resemble. In these cases, the characters have merely been assigned genders and I don't really see the appeal there.

CitizenGeek said:
I agree entirely that characters who break down gender roles are interesting. But I do not see the point of characters like Ed in Cowboy Bebop or Bridget in Chrono Crusade. Ed, for example, cannot be said to be "breaking down gender roles" because Ed is entirely male in every single depiction of 'her' character. The creators have simply designed a male character and decided that it's female. There's nothing to suggest Ed, or Bridget, are the opposite gender of the one they resemble. In these cases, the characters have merely been assigned genders and I don't really see the appeal there.

Well, it's a bit like that in real life too - speaking as someone who grew up being mistaken for a boy everywhere I went (irony appreciated given my reputation here!), and liking "boyish" hobbies like gaming. I feel as though I was just arbitrarily dealt the "girl" card growing up for no real reason. I like Ed because her gender - which you have identified as resembling a male, but I see as right down the middle to the point where it's meaningless - is completely irrelevant to her as a character. In a way that asks questions of its own to me.

Bridget is more silly, I always felt. Characters with the same backstory as him have appeared in numerous Takahashi Rumiko manga and managed to pull it off a lot more interestingly than he did. I think I may be biased as Guilty Gear never really managed to convince me it was trying to make a point about anything at all other than being visually terrific.

R

CitizenGeek said:
But I do not see the point of characters like Ed in Cowboy Bebop or Bridget in Chrono Crusade.

Bridget isn't from Chrno Crusade, he is from Guilty Gear XX. Rosette Christopher is the nun in Chrno Crusade and she is fully female! But other than the small different and unique things on their uniforms, they do look quite alike, so it is an easy mistake to make.

Males that are like females, and vice-versa, are just something different from people who are aware of their gender, so to speak. Why is it such a fuss? They are simply still just characters. We have: big and strong characters, small characters, cute characters, short-tempered characters, gay characters, and we have cross-gender characters. They all exist in reality too, so why not use them in animation to make things fit specific genres and cultures more?

Plus, remember, they are Japanese-made. Have you seen the amounts of cross-dressing Doujinshi that they produce? They are obviously quite a big factor of their own. I personally like them too, which is why I would be willing to make a central character as one, as a personal preference. It is also something unique. What is more is that myself and Rui's posts show that there are indeed some great fans of them out there in the world, even on our little island nation.

Well snopping around different anime titles today

i say i am glad for ILC entertainment for licensing project A-Ko, cause you'd think something that illusive would be as expensive as finding cheap pioneer boxsets :p

anyhow reasonable cheap i noticed on ebay even for say 299p
just may need to ask whether they're dual audio for people who want to hear it dubbed

practice_safe_zechs_use_a_gundam_gundam_zechs_button-p145095902274648389tmn2_210.jpg

Back