The General Conversation Area

You sure are commited. The only way I would ever buy Japanese singles is if I became a millionaire, a quid a minute for my entertainment is a bit too much for me to stomach.

I might buy some boxed sets (some of them are very impressive) but as far as I'm concerned if they're not going to put English subs on even series which have been subbed before (in Bandai's case usually by one of their subsiduaries - they must own the subs, so not including them is just lazy) then I'll continue to download until a release which does include subs comes along.

Well, I don't buy so many video games these days, and I stopped buying many R1 series because I ended up buying more than I could watch and that was obviously even sillier than paying R2J prices, so I feel like I'm more satisfied with what I'm getting for my money even though I'm getting "less" content, especially atm where you can't get so many series on Blu-ray outside of Japan.

well ilmaestro it's not like i just get all my animation for free, i can post a pretty picture of my collection for confirmation.
I Could purchase the R2J blu-ray disk, but then I'd have to get subtitles so as to understand the plot, possibly from extracting from a Matroska file, but then how do i get that.
also I've tried watching a RAW once, not thrilling to say the least. In the end it would just sit on my shelf collecting dust, bit like my special edition of To Heart 2 for PS2

In any case i was testing out VLC 1.0, at last it's out of it's beta stages. i may be a bit behind, but problems i had with the features before was it's trans-coding, region overriding and it's inalienability of understanding SSA subtitle codecs. Well 1.0 rectified this, plus video looks more "crisper". The only problem i can say is that the graphic equalizer only works on mp3 files.

other then that i just can't grab a set amount of frames as you can with CCCP

I will post a pic of video quality i noted later

While we're on the subject of the K-On Blu, an interesting observation. Looks like anime fans are ahead of the trend on Blu-ray adoption (my guess would be because they're probably all gamers with PS3's too) Hopefully this will be a good excuse to release loads more here.

Never seen any K-On, but considering it seems to be a show riding on the cuteness of the characters I'm not sure what's "cute" about those facial designs... I mean big eyes are a "moe" given now, but massive foreheads and cheeks which one can only presume they are storing food in for later just don't do it for me (if they're supposed to be cheekbones they belong under the eyes, fellas, not level with the mouth).

ayase said:
Never seen any K-On, but considering it seems to be a show riding on the cuteness of the characters I'm not sure what's "cute" about those facial designs... I mean big eyes are a "moe" given now, but massive foreheads and cheeks which one can only presume they are storing food in for later just don't do it for me (if they're supposed to be cheekbones they belong under the eyes, fellas, not level with the mouth).

"I'm I moe?"
sample_814a779e027c0c36ca38bae7b8fc0d7a2908fb7d.jpeg

you've somewhat summed it up, but im sure personality plays a role in there somewhere.
I'd be lying if i said Mio isn't moe, i think it was her hime cut that made me admire her. but i think those girls with big cheeks are most likely just fat

blah blah blah this won't get a reading

^ she's cuter than the K-On girls. :p

On second thought, perhaps those lumps in their cheeks are supposed to be jawlines. In which case it's even more disturbing.

Improve the K-On character designs in one easy step:
k-on_improved.png

Edit: improved version I spent a little more time on.

Otaku-san said:
well ilmaestro it's not like i just get all my animation for free, i can post a pretty picture of my collection for confirmation.
Ha, no, it's not *you* I'm angry with, it's the people who make it available for people to download in the first place. It's probably thin ice, but my personal morality leads me down the "anime on TV in Japan is essentially marketing for the home video release, thus it's beneficial to share it" compared to the actual, higher quality home video release that I don't think people should be uploading to the interwebben.

And K-ON! is damn cute. :( And a very happy show. As I've said before, your usually crappy moe slice of life show does my head in, but I really liked this.

ilmaestro said:
Otaku-san said:
Ha, no, it's not *you* I'm angry with, it's the people who make it available for people to download in the first place. It's probably thin ice, but my personal morality leads me down the "anime on TV in Japan is essentially marketing for the home video release, thus it's beneficial to share it" compared to the actual, higher quality home video release that I don't think people should be uploading to the interwebben.

i know lives a bitch full of problems, I'd fined it more annoying if they got people to actually pay for it y

ilmaestro said:
K-ON! is damn cute. :( And a very happy show. As I've said before, your usually crappy moe slice of life show does my head in, but I really liked this.
For all I know it could be brilliant, I haven't watched it yet. ;)

I'm just starting to have a hard time agreeing with Japan on what's cute in anime nowadays. First it was the enormous eyed Key girls and now these strange lumpy cheeks. And KyoAni seem to be the driving force behind it... if it weren't for Haruhi I might take a pretty anti-KyoAni stance...

::remembers endless eight::

::goes to get flaming torch and pitchfork::

On the topic of K-ON!; I've watched the first 7 episodes today. I havn't come across a series this addicting in a while. Now for the 8th!

It's calculated cute. Yui is ditzy and sweet. Mio is easily embarassed and is scared of barnacles. Mugi has, er, huge thick eyebrows. And, really, that's all you need to sell 33 thousand Blu-rays at £50 a pop.

Apologies for the grumpiness. I just want somebody to give Yoshiaki Kawajiri a huge wad of money to make a Ninja Scroll or Cyber City sequel.

ayase said:
ilmaestro said:
K-ON! is damn cute. :( And a very happy show. As I've said before, your usually crappy moe slice of life show does my head in, but I really liked this.
Ah! Well, yes, let me assure you that it's worth watching. I think.

But yeah, the squirrel cheeks... it's weird, and always looks a bit bootleg, but most of the show is well drawn, if the animation on things like the live performances doesn't exactly blow you away.

Also, Maltos, "addictive".

ilmaestro said:
ayase said:
ilmaestro said:
Ah! Well, yes, let me assure you that it's worth watching. I think.

But yeah, the squirrel cheeks... it's weird, and always looks a bit bootleg, but most of the show is well drawn, if the animation on things like the live performances doesn't exactly blow you away.

Also, Maltos, "addictive".
I'll check K-On out at some point, as long as you don't become a Gramma Nazi*. :p

I'm pro simplification of the English language anyway. Good old Teddy Roosevelt. It's not as though we write like Chaucer anymore... Why shouldn't English continue to change?

*Intentional, the thought of "Gramma Nazi" and "Auntie Nazi" amuses me. If no-one has written a book with those characters in yet, someone should.

Back