The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

Amazon.com have dropped the price of a few Funimation BDs, including the first four FMA: Brotherhood sets. I picked up 3 & 4 for £16.79 each, including postage, in separate orders. Just to clarify, I won't have to pay VAT unless the actual goods are over £15 (which they're not)... right?

Spice & Wolf II is $21.99 and Samurai Champloo is $17.49. There's probably some others too.

Dunno. A fair system wouldn't take postage into account, given that that isn't actually the value of the product you're buying... But as the system's not particularly fair anyway I wouldn't like to say for certain. I just chanced it on the Spice & Wolf BD for £16.12 as well though.

That's how it used to be (goods only), but I'm wary of the possibility that the slippery bastards changed it when they lowered the limit...

/is a worrier

Good call on Spice & Wolf, by the way. Looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

I went down to Middlesbrough as part of my local anime convention's "winter social". While I was there I won the raffle, the prize being the first three Slayers TV series.

I also brought Yotsuba&! Volume 10 from the Boro branch of Forbidden Planet for £7.99.

fabricatedlunatic said:
That's how it used to be (goods only), but I'm wary of the possibility that the slippery bastards changed it when they lowered the limit...

/is a worrier
From the updated version of "the thingy" (bold type is my emphasis):

--

2.3 What are the limits for customs duty and import VAT?

Commercial consignments of £15 or less are free from customs duty and import VAT. For example, goods purchased over the internet with an intrinsic value not exceeding £15, will not be charged any duty or VAT

--

So you should still be fine.

"intrinsic" is that another one of those funny, uncommon words the government uses to screw people over? Who says "intrinsic" in everyday life anyway?
*looking up the definition*

1) Belonging naturally; essential.
2) of a muscle) Contained wholly within the organ on which it act

er...what?

Hell, my brother was sent a guitar pedal from America for free (as in, it was a gift - he didn't pay a penny for it) and still got a £38 charge.

Joshawott said:
Hell, my brother was sent a guitar pedal from America for free (as in, it was a gift - he didn't pay a penny for it) and still got a £38 charge.
He shouldn't have done. Whoever sent it should have ticked the "Gift" option on the customs declaration, exempting it from taxation. At least that's how it used to work - The "gift" option was a good way of sending high value items and still being able to declare their full value for insurance purposes... But not paying any tax. A certain online retailer from Hong Kong used to send everything marked as gifts.

Now the gift indicator just increases the allowance (apparently to £40 from £15 by today's rules). The sender should have just given it a low nominal value in that case and marked it as a gift. A lot of people overseas who don't have to deal with the brutal handling fees don't understand at all, and value things high as they think it would cover an insurance claim.

I wish I could have an account with HMRC myself and clear packages directly instead of paying the handling fees. I have little problem with the actual taxes, but the cut the postal companies take incites me to try to avoid the whole process :/

R

Yeah, she was most likely an idiot.

I disagree with the whole idea of customs charges anyway. If people don't want me importing, then they should make what I want available in the UK xD

In Italy we have similar problems. But now it's better to avoid packages sent as "gift" if you buy from a retailer. People at custom offices became "smart", and now they inspect most of the packages labelled as "gift". If they open it and find there are items sold by a retailer, then you have to pay the full import tax plus a penalty.

Teo

Just Made My First Order from Rightstuf

Ranma 1/2 - Season One

Just the one thing, shouldn't get hit by any charges anyway should I? because converted $22.49 to pounds it falls under the £15 and you don't count in the $11 shipping anyway right?!

Also did they do away with the Scanned detail entry thing they used to have because I just wandered straight through the order, just curious?
EDIT: NEVERMIND THEY DO IT AFTER YOU'VE ORDERED THESE DAYS (TWO DAYS AFTER ORDERING!)

Clannad: Part 1 and 2
Clannad: After Story Part 2

Probably get part 1 after christmas.
----------------------------------------------
Just cancelled - noticed sub only. :(

Rui said:
Now the gift indicator just increases the allowance (apparently to £40 from £15 by today's rules). The sender should have just given it a low nominal value in that case and marked it as a gift.
"Should have" done, but it would still have not been following the letter of the law afaik,

ilmaestro said:
Rui said:
Now the gift indicator just increases the allowance (apparently to £40 from £15 by today's rules). The sender should have just given it a low nominal value in that case and marked it as a gift.
"Should have" done, but it would still have not been following the letter of the law afaik,
lol, following the law when breaking it hurts no one or even mildly inconveniences anyone.

Back