The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

Rui said:
Aion said:
Talking of the pounds failings, a new SecondSpin code appeared today. The bad news is that this new code requires a minimum $30 spend, and that's not good at all when $30 is currently equal to £20 - £2 over the customs limit. No Law of Ueki Vol. 2-8 order for me...

But $30-20% is safe. So long as you don't go over by much and so long as the pound doesn't continue to wobble around like this :( it's such a shame.

R

Discounts are bad for customs. I bought one of the UK region 2 LOTR movies once from CD-WOW, and because it was coming from Hong Kong, customs caught it. It didn't make a difference that it was a UK disc, they were just concerned with the port of origin. It cost me £17.99 after a £1 voucher was used, but CD-WOW put the original value of the item on the package, which was what got it snagged. I did get my money back after I showed the receipt to customs, but the post office kept the handling charge.

Rui said:
But $30-20% is safe. So long as you don't go over by much and so long as the pound doesn't continue to wobble around like this :( it's such a shame.

This is why, with my brain power, numeracy was never something I had a chance at being good at it. It sucks to be dumb.

After you helped me discover that the $30 wouldn't be $30 with 20% off (IQ over 9000, clearly!), I made two orders, being careful both times to not take the total with the 20% off over the limit.

These were my orders:

Order 1:

Law of Ueki, Vol. 2: Friends and Enemies - $5.82
Law of Ueki, Vol. 3 - $5.66
Law of Ueki, Vol. 4: Neo - The New Celestial - $5.50
Law of Ueki, Vol. 5: Dogra Mansion Showdown - $5.82
Please Twins!, Vol. 3: Only for You - $2.39

Total: $25.19

Order 2:

Law of Ueki, Vol. 6 - $5.82
Law of Ueki, Vol. 7: Teammates Wanted - $6.22
Law of Ueki, Vol. 8: Key to Victory - $5.90
Please Twins!, Vol. 4: Twins Forever - $3.19
Fafner, Vol. 6: Next Evolution - $4.22

Total: $25.35

-------------

It's an awful shame for a bargain hunter like me that £1 only equals $1.48. If we still lived in a time when a pound was equal to 2 dollars then these orders would be real steals, but at present they're more risky than anything. Even if the pound doesn't weaken further by the time the bastards at customs get their hands on my packages, it's unlikely that all 7 Ueki volumes will come in their original white cases, and white cases aren't exactly easy to get for cheap.

In the past $50 would've only been £25. Now? Nearly £34. It's not good.

Aion said:
After you helped me discover that the $30 wouldn't be $30 with 20% off (IQ over 9000, clearly!), I made two orders, being careful both times to not take the total with the 20% off over the limit.

It's Friday and we're all depressed over the crummy pound, so don't be too hard on yourself.

I'm tempted to grab a few things too in $30 (before reduction) chunks. The heynow one is still more fun though... I feel like such a horrible person when I order a bunch of $6 discs all as individual orders but it's so fun!

Edit: Grabbed Hare/Guu Deluxe 1 and the first Bleach movie. Still eyeing some ~$30 sets.

R

Rui said:
Re: fabricatedlunatic and Yugo 7, the new animation style and designs stayed for the rest of the series. I liked the later style more than the original one but the storyline was even stupider, so you didn't miss much. At least the first half had the attractive dancing girl occasionally.
See, I prefered the first season's earthy tones to the second's brighter, more colourful look. It seemed better suited to the material. And, gah, I hated the dancing girl! She's such a cynical creation who exists for the sole purpose of holding the male viewers' attention long after they've gotten bored with the story.

Hmm. I hate to say it, but that you liked her lends some credence to Aion's theory... :p

fabricatedlunatic said:
See, I prefered the first season's earthy tones to the second's brighter, more colourful look. It seemed better suited to the material. And, gah, I hated the dancing girl! She's such a cynical creation who exists for the sole purpose of holding the male viewers' attention long after they've gotten bored with the story.

Hmm. I hate to say it, but that you liked her lends some credence to Aion's theory... :p

She was obviously just there to distract from the wobbly story which was pretty much resolved in episode one in terms of intrigue but at least we got some nicely animated dancing scenes out of her.

Girls can like girls too ;)

Though in the case of Yugo it's not saying very much. I think the most girlphobic person in the world would be hard pressed to find something else memorable about the show.

R

Aion said:
I'm waiting for the pound to stop being a pussy or the R1 steelbook releases to appear on eBay. My collection will look messy with 2 Geneon steelbooks and 2 Manga plastic cases.

Talking of the pounds failings, a new SecondSpin code appeared today. The bad news is that this new code requires a minimum $30 spend, and that's not good at all when $30 is currently equal to £20 - £2 over the customs limit. No Law of Ueki Vol. 2-8 order for me...
I'm wondering where did you find these coupons you mentioned. There a .Hack box set smiling at me there and they would be even better with a discount....

The Girl Who Lept Through Time - £12

Kino's Journey boxset - £30

Noein boxset - £25

I was going to buy Karas for £13 then I saw Noein. All in all, good day, no manga this time around though.

chaos said:
I'm wondering where did you find these coupons you mentioned. There a .Hack box set smiling at me there and they would be even better with a discount....

Check out the secondspin.com top page - there should be a new banner every week with the latest code. There are some secret ones occasionally but the 20% off and free international shipping over $30 is the regular code for this week :)

It's a good way to grab a fair amount of out of print Geneon stuff at the moment.

R

Chaos: The new SecondSpin code is 'FSTWENTY'. It only becomes active when you have $30 in your basket.

Roy: I ordered the Dessert Punk box set myself last time around. It didn't come with a hat. I emailed them and they've supposedly sent out a new set with a hat, though.

Roy said:
It's a good way to grab a fair amount of out of print Geneon stuff at the moment.

Yup. I use SecondSpin for that very reason. If the correct volume has bent sent, I'll have collected 11/15 volumes of Fighting Spirit (Geneon) from SS, and a lot of them arrived sealed. I'm also only 1 DVD away from completing my Nadia collection thanks to them. :)

---------

The talk of Yugo being a bit **** has reminded me of how most reviews gave it decent scores.

Link: http://www.animecritic.com/_metareview/ ... p?aid=1133

It just goes to show that you can't trust 'pro' reviews. Just look at what they rated Ueki, an anime that if nothing else doesn't induce boredom: http://www.animecritic.com/_metareview/ ... p?aid=1367

Lupus Inu said:
The Girl Who Lept Through Time - £12

Kino's Journey boxset - £30

Noein boxset - £25

I was going to buy Karas for £13 then I saw Noein. All in all, good day, no manga this time around though.

Noein was only £15 delivered when it came out in America at the start of the year, with a superior full-size box set and no subtitle issues. The R2 set has also been £18 online forever.

Karas has been cheap as chips online for god knows how long. I got my set for something like £7-8.

TGWLTT is a Manga DVD, meaning the price should drop before too long. Why pay £12 for a DVD in this day and age? Madness.

And don't get me started on paying £30 for a a short series.

Rui said:
Check out the secondspin.com top page - there should be a new banner every week with the latest code. There are some secret ones occasionally but the 20% off and free international shipping over $30 is the regular code for this week :)

(-_-) Ok, I'll visit my ophthalmologist ASAP

Thanks Rui and Thanks Aion for the heads up.

Rui said:
I had that in mind. I've made me a list of Geneon titles I wanted and came up with these:
Ai Yori Aoshi
Dears
El-Hazard
Fafner of the Azure
Fate/stay night
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Koi Kaze
X (TV series)
Ultra Maniac
Tales of Phantasia
Someday's Dreamers
Sakura Wars
Rozen Maiden

Aion, I've noticed a few of these in your list. If you want to sell them, I'm interested, if they are complete.

MPD Psycho Volume 7.

I also made a few orders from second spin using the code (Thanks Aion) although I may still get caught for duty on one as it was about $38 for the one box set to start with, $31 after discount ($25 is about safe nowadays). I also ordered a copy of that Desert Punk starter set as it had sold out before I could get it when it first come out. I had to rein myself in a bit I was starting to find all the old Pioneer, Geneon and ADV DVDs I don't have. I was spending ages checking the prices against play traders and the like, then trying to work out how to get orders to just over the $30. In the end I gave up as I could see myself spending way too much, I will have to have another look after Crimbo when I work out how skint it left me, if they have a decent code again I will make some orders.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Amaray

They're the DVD cases with the "yin yang" style hubs.
They have a lip for the edge of the disc to sit on so they don't rattle around, unlike a lot of cheap cases, and the hubs don't put stress on them when you take them out (unlike Scanavo cases, which I have actually cracked a disc in whilst trying to remove).

And they don't smell. Some of Bandai's cheap cases reek of chemicals or some unpleasant substance

Scanavo cases are the work of Satan. The success of Steelbooks must be the only thing keeping them in business.

Back