Summer of 2014 Stream - Oreshura now up on Viewster

Re: Summer '14 Stream - More Aniplex titles coming to Viewst

ilmaestro said:
Is there any clear reason why Funi holds on to some UK streaming rights?
Not sure, might be something to do with Manga's end or maybe they don't trust Crunchyroll with it. I remember before the new website change, the UK audience was able to watch Funimation shows on their website (and YouTube channel).

This question should be asked on ANN if they ever get a Funimation guy on there.

ilmaestro said:
Is there any clear reason why Funi holds on to some UK streaming rights?

Piecing comments heard at UK cons and recounted on forums together, their preferred policy nowadays is to grab worldwide English-language rights whenever they can and then hand them out to local distributors themselves in some way (or silently add them to YouTube in a few rare cases for reasons unknown). Except we don't have anyone who will simulcast them properly after licensing the shows and Funimation won't give the rights to their rivals at Crunchyroll. I think Australia is in a similar boat.

I would like someone in Japan to snap one day and have a 'no stream, no rights' policy when organising contracts.

R

Himegoto will be available with episodes 1-4 starting on Monday, July 28 at 9am Pacific Time for Crunchyroll members worldwide except: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, China, Cambodia, East Timor, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Korea, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Macau, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam, and Japan.

Toradora (Dubbed) will be available to Crunchyroll audiences in the following territories: USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, South Africa, Denmark, Finland, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, the Caribbean, South and Central Americas.

http://www.crunchyroll.co.uk/forumtopic ... d-himegoto

Still no sign of episode 2 of yama no susume second, though.

kuuderes_shadow said:
Himegoto will be available with episodes 1-4 starting on Monday, July 28 at 9am Pacific Time for Crunchyroll members worldwide except: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, China, Cambodia, East Timor, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Korea, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Macau, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam, and Japan.

Toradora (Dubbed) will be available to Crunchyroll audiences in the following territories: USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, South Africa, Denmark, Finland, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, the Caribbean, South and Central Americas.

http://www.crunchyroll.co.uk/forumtopic ... d-himegoto

Still no sign of episode 2 of yama no susume second, though.

Holy Tiger I wasn't expecting Toradora to be available to us, in a way though since the original subtitled version is still restricted to USA.

Still waiting for Great Teacher Onizuka though.

Re: Summer '14 Stream - Toradora! [English Dub Ver.] (CR)

Ah thanks for putting that up! I watch both on their YouTube channel so I wouldn't have known what was going on otherwise. I don't mind waiting a bit, excited for both shows though!

NormanicGrav said:
I remember before the new website change, the UK audience was able to watch Funimation shows on their website (and YouTube channel).
It was actually for a very brief period on a website a few versions ago. We were actually able to watch things we shouldn't (i.e. I tried watching their Digimon streams from Toei, although the buffering made it practically impossible) which is possible why we were locked out completely after the leaked One Piece. Now all their free videos are embedded from Hulu it is academic anyway.
We still can watch shows on their YouTube channel, at least those
a) where they have have UK rights and
b) before a certain point where nearly all of their videos went up CA+US regardless.
They've also stopped putting up whole episodes anyway.

This question should be asked on ANN if they ever get a Funimation guy on there.
They have a FUNimation episode on an annual basis. This years came and went quite recently.

Rui said:
Piecing comments heard at UK cons and recounted on forums together, their preferred policy nowadays is to grab worldwide English-language rights whenever they can and then hand them out to local distributors themselves in some way
They've been doing it more than just recently - think back to the likes of Fruits Basket which they distributed via MVM. It's not worldwide though, but certain Majority English countries (generally the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa)

(or silently add them to YouTube in a few rare cases for reasons unknown).
Originally every episode they uploaded to YouTube was unlocked to every region where they had rights. There was a season or two where all their videos were locked (around the time of Haganai 2) and then they stopped putting episodes on there at all.

Except we don't have anyone who will simulcast them properly after licensing the shows and Funimation won't give the rights to their rivals at Crunchyroll. I think Australia is in a similar boat.
Well, that's what Animax are doing, unless there was some dig implied in "properly". Madman have their Anime Lab site.

Nothing Animax do simulcast wise is anything close to "proper" They're a bunch of incompetent fuckwits who have only survived so far because people don't know any better and they're backed by a large corporation.

That's the odd thing about Animax, it feels like craploads of money is being piled into them, but without the proper understanding and technical backup to really cater for the Uk market. It just kind of feels like someone's said 'hey, we should probably do a bit of that streaming thing, everyone else is, right?'

Having a good selection of titles will only get you so far - if you can't compete with the market leader on a technical/reliability front then customer retention will always suck.

For the benefit of the 3 other people in the UK who haven't given up and resorted to other means of viewing, Wakanim have tweeted that they might have an update on the missing Tokyo Ghoul episode 4 tomorrow. The US got it a couple of hours late on Thursday but our episode only appeared for a short time before being taken down due to a sync problem with the audio (presumably the same issue that afflicted Terror In Resonance episode 2 for five days the week before). The Space Dandy dub is still missing too for those who like dubs.

I am mentioning it here to have a record for the next time I update my chart of streaming services >_<

R

Rui said:
For the benefit of the 3 other people in the UK who haven't given up and resorted to other means of viewing, Wakanim have tweeted that they might have an update on the missing Tokyo Ghoul episode 4 tomorrow.

I want to like Wakanim, but this is so irritating... Wish they'd put a bit of effort into the site, too. It's still largely populated by French text.

Rui said:
For the benefit of the 3 other people in the UK who haven't given up and resorted to other means of viewing, Wakanim have tweeted that they might have an update on the missing Tokyo Ghoul episode 4 tomorrow. The US got it a couple of hours late on Thursday but our episode only appeared for a short time before being taken down due to a sync problem with the audio (presumably the same issue that afflicted Terror In Resonance episode 2 for five days the week before). The Space Dandy dub is still missing too for those who like dubs.

I am mentioning it here to have a record for the next time I update my chart of streaming services >_<

R

I'm probably one of the three since I tweeted them about it and they responded 4 minutes later that they'll work on fixing it.

Rui said:
For the benefit of the 3 other people in the UK who haven't given up and resorted to other means of viewing
What about the people who haven't done that... but have simply given up? :p

Also it's pretty unacceptable if they're having the same issue again, this isn't the Dark Ages where we're still trying to figure out how JACOsub works.

Streaming wouldn't work for me, but the free download did. The audio went out of sync occasionally, but it was still watchable.

I found the version I downloaded less watchable ^^; sadly still unavailable.

Minor update from Viewster regarding the continued lack of Bakumatsu Rock episodes past #2:

It is intended to have each episode published in the same week after it's been aired in Japan. Sometime it might come to some delays though. So stay tuned!

I have updated my table to reflect the disparity between intended 'simul'cast dates and the reality that we're experiencing. I was not very generous with Wakanim but they're really making a hash of things this season.

9QZG4WY.png

R

If Animax had an iOS app, I might actually be willing to give them a try.

Back