Summer of 2014 Stream - Oreshura now up on Viewster

Re: Summer '14 Stream - Toradora! [English Dub Ver.] (CR)

The ads would be more bearable if there was variety, but they only ever seem to have one or two running at any given time so you get the same one over and over again.

I like how they often give you the first episode of every series without any ads on CR - nice little way to see if you'll like the series without interruption, even if you're not a subscriber.

vashdaman said:
Lutga said:
obsessed with the notion of 'free'. The kids of today will have grown up in a world where the vast majority of entertainment content is free at the point of consumption, so they will expect it - demand it.

But don't forget how seductive the notion of free is to people who grow up in the old times, when the only way to watch anime was to put down a not insignificant financial investment.
I would say the main investment in the "old times" was in terms of effort, rather than finances. You actually had to be a dedicated fan to acquire the material.

I've definitely heard interviews with old fans who think it's fantastic that anime is widely available now, because that is pretty much what a lot of their efforts went towards promoting. But I think that people who are used to paying for things are not as easily swayed by "free" as people who are not used to paying for things are put off by "not free" (yeah that sentence is a little awkward, idk).

Sweet, love Higashino Keigo's books that I've read, will definitely check that out.

ilmaestro said:
vashdaman said:
Lutga said:
obsessed with the notion of 'free'. The kids of today will have grown up in a world where the vast majority of entertainment content is free at the point of consumption, so they will expect it - demand it.

But don't forget how seductive the notion of free is to people who grow up in the old times, when the only way to watch anime was to put down a not insignificant financial investment.
I would say the main investment in the "old times" was in terms of effort, rather than finances. You actually had to be a dedicated fan to acquire the material.

I've definitely heard interviews with old fans who think it's fantastic that anime is widely available now, because that is pretty much what a lot of their efforts went towards promoting. But I think that people who are used to paying for things are not as easily swayed by "free" as people who are not used to paying for things are put off by "not free" (yeah that sentence is a little awkward, idk).

Yeah I can understand that. You know, I think from now on I won't watch more than 2 eps of a show for free unless I plan to go on to buy it. Although, yep, CR have got the first monthly charge in. So I'm currently an upstanding supporter of the industry. It's all above board over here.

The Captain Harlock CG movie is up on Netflix by the way, listed as "Harlock: Space Pirate".

The uncanny valley is strong with this one.

The Summer of 2014 Anime Streaming News Thread

Thread Updated

Animax UK
#13 - Puchim@s Petit Petit iDOLM@STER
#14 - Persona 4 the Golden Animation

Crunchyroll - At least 50 titles for the Summer season, 17 titles are on-going from previous seasons
Anime:
#29 - ????????? (Catalog)

J-Drama:
#7 - Galileo

Viewster
#5 - Blast of Tempest
#6 - Oreimo (Season 1) - Episodes 13-16 are not included (OVA reasons)
#7 - Oreimo (Season 2) - Episodes 14-16 are not included (OVA reasons)
#8 - Servant x Service
#9 - Silver Spoon (Season 1)

Netflix
#5 - Hunter x Hunter (2011)

Re: The Summer of 2014 Anime Streaming News Thread

Viewster will be supporting the anime genre more in the future, during an interview with OASG.
Organization ASG: Do you have plans to add other anime titles from other companies?

Franke: Yes, in fact we are talking now directly to most of the relevant anime production and distribution companies and TV stations in Japan to make sure that Viewster becomes a driving force for quality anime in Europe. We have an exciting pipeline coming up in Q3 and Q4 with enough content to keep fans busy binge watching for months on our site.

Organization ASG: You announced what anime series are simulcasting on Viewster in Europe. When did the company decide it was best to try and simulcast titles for the service and why you believe it was worth exploring?

Franke: We know that simulcasting is an important cornerstone on our way to becoming a major source for anime in Europe. Illegal streaming sites and the fansubbing scene created a demand for fresh content after it has been aired in Japan and we have to make sure that we can provide a legal alternative.

Organization ASG: How was the process of simulcasting titles like? Did anything surprise you, was difficult, etc?

Franke: The process is surprisingly straight forward. Our Japanese content providers are unbelievably professional and well organised. We get the shows, produce English subtitles and set them live after airing in Japan TV. However, since the productions are regularly changed in the very last minute, it’s a great challenge to get everything published at the right time.

Organization ASG: What do you believe the perception of anime is in Europe? Have you gotten feedback and commentary from people about that?

Franke: We believe anime is no longer a niche genre mainly reserved for freaks and geeks. Just the opposite we see that anime is gaining more and more recognition by a broader audience and one of the reasons is in fact the distribution through the internet (beside the artistic quality like out-of-the-box storytelling, mind blowing visuals, etc). We believe that anime will become a pop cultural key influencer in the next few years also in western media.

So far the feedback is great. People love that we give them the possibility to watch their all-time favourite anime series on Viewster as well as the latest simulcasts, immediately after they have been aired in Japan. We are working hard to complete our lineup and involve our community and the anime fans in general more in the programming decision.

Organization ASG: Region locking has been one of the big things that has been a source of criticism for companies like Crunchyroll, Funimation, etc. Can you share from a business perspective why it is necessary for region locking to take place?

Franke: We at Viewster are passionate digital natives and VoD users ourselves and totally get the frustration of the end users about geoblocking and regional blocks. But as unfortunate as these geoblocks may seem, they are a necessity from a business point of view, since these unspoken rules and regulations in the media industry enable the producers in Japan to actually pay all those great artists out there to produce the content which is enjoyed by millions of fans out there. Opposite to all those illegal anime streaming sites, companies like Crunchyroll, Funimation and Viewster pay license fees to bring the content to the fans and enable the Japanese producers. We believe it’s important to educate our users about the economic site of the business at least so they understand why we have to stick to these rules.

We have a bad habit of talking about piracy with regard to finished and popular filmed entertainment. Partly, this is because it suits piracy’s supporters to say things like “XYZ tentpole made a gazillion dollars, so piracy does no harm and probably even helps.” But for every Naruto and Attack on Titan out there, there are hundreds or thousands of small and medium budget series being made, many of which are based on smaller manga series most treasured by serious fans.

Organization ASG: Can your team can share any of their favorite few anime series that they’d recommend to people?

Franke: Probably like most of the anime community we are super big fans of Attack on Titan (and we are working hard to add it to our site, which is not as easy as fans may believe). But beside that we love Samurai Champloo, El Cazador de la Bruja, Black Lagoon, or even classics like Hellsing or Golgo 13 are on our most-loved-anime list. Beside that the Viewster editorial team is a big fan of Bakumatsu Rock and Momokyun Sword.

Organization ASG: How do you see anime expanding on Viewster in the next few years?

Franke: We are working hard to become a home for anime fans in Europe. And we know that it’s not enough to only provide content to the fans. We want that the fans have the chance to really contribute to play an active role in the way Viewster will expand into the anime business. It’s all about the fans: we want give to provide a safe and legal forum to watch and share thoughts about anime but also make the fans an integral part of the Viewster anime experience.

Re: Summer of 2014 Anime Stream - Terror in Ghoul head to An

I find it surprising that animax are suddenly picking up everything. If i was to guess, they seem to want to be the definitive stream site for the UK, but with a far less reliability. I still don't feel tempted to use them at all by any means, i'll continue with Wakanim/CR for anything i need.

Arbalest said:
I find it surprising that animax are suddenly picking up everything. If i was to guess, they seem to want to be the definitive stream site for the UK, but with a far less reliability. I still don't feel tempted to use them at all by any means, i'll continue with Wakanim/CR for anything i need.

I personally wouldn't mind using them but the main issue is the KAZE subs for the Kaze titles and the delay in simulcast (this one might actually be due to exclusive first come first serve rights with other sites (if you don't know what I mean by that, take the Monogatari Second Season as an example with Crunchyroll and Daisuki)). As I said before, once they reach over 100 titles I might get a subscription.

Mm, I'd be interested in subscribing to Animax for the imprisoned FUNi titles etc if they'd sort their service out and aim to be at least as good as the US companies (I wouldn't get so angry if I didn't care T_T).

Really interested to see how things turn out now that Andrew has come through for us and started spreading the rights for his shows around.

R

Rui said:
Really interested to see how things turn out now that Andrew has come through for us and started spreading the rights for his shows around.

Speaking of spreading the rights for his shows, I wonder if he'll add the licensed titles onto the other platforms that aren't available. Titles like Blood Lad, Full Metal Panic!, Vision of Escaflowne and perhaps the films would make an interesting addition to Animax and Wakanim.

And given he's going for iTunes as well, Viewster would be a good place to expand to since they want some more anime on there (since Anime Limited have some French fans it would work for them too).

Looks like the subtitled version of Toradora! on Crunchyroll is also now available to the UK. Episodes 1-6 for free members, 7-25 for premium for now.

http://www.crunchyroll.co.uk/toradora

That's awesome! It happens to be my favourite anime (at least of what I've seen since I started watching anime last year) - but I still can't wait for the MVM Blu-Ray!!! <3

Re: Summer of 2014 Anime Stream - Toradora Subtitled now on

I sent a tweet to MVM, suggesting they promoted the Toradora dub on Crunchyroll and never recieved a reply or saw any indication that they took my suggestion on board. After hearing this news, I sent one again, won't hold my breath though.

After the whole ordeal with Manga, not sure why I even bother informing them.

GolGotha said:
I sent a tweet to MVM, suggesting they promoted the Toradora dub on Crunchyroll and never recieved a reply or saw any indication that they took my suggestion on board. After hearing this news, I sent one again, won't hold my breath though.

After the whole ordeal with Manga, not sure why I even bother informing them.

It would be very good publicity for the show, wouldn't it? :) Have you seen Toradora? If so, what did you think?

It would. Same goes for putting Attack on Titan on Netflix after Crunchyroll took it down....

I have not, my brother adores it though.

Viewster has just added:

- Bakemonogatari
- Nisemonogatari
- Fate/Zero

GolGotha said:
Viewster has just added:

- Bakemonogatari
- Nisemonogatari
- Fate/Zero

My god that's quite impressive. UK fans now have legal access to Bakemonogatari (Crunchyroll version is region locked and Daisuki no longer streams the series).

The OVAs for Tsubasa Cat are NOT included, only the first 12 episodes.

Thanks Gol! Updated thread, Oreshura is also confirmed to arrive early next week.

#10 - Bakemonogatari - Episodes 13-15 are not included (OVA reasons)
#11 - Nisemonogatari
#12 - Fate/Zero
#13 - Oreshura - Coming soon!

Back