So what just happened at UK Anime Network?

(Once again, this is all my personal opinion as a human being.)

There are a lot of problems with condemning the entirety of the feminist movement just because some people invoke its name to make statements which are patently exclusive and anti-equality. For one thing, it allows the enemies of equality to derail the much-needed conversations about bringing that equality about by smearing the messenger; I don't honestly give a hoot what TERFs and other radicals have to say, especially when many of those people are either articulate-but-inexperienced kids or deliberate trolls masquerading as feminists in order to discredit arguments they don't have any genuine way to address. There has been absolutely none of that taking place here and as I said above, one of the main issues originally being debated is Funimation's choice to incorporate divisive language in its translations - which is being slammed by feminists too, because the word choices are creating an exclusionary atmosphere. Feminist fans are not the enemy here unless people go out looking for a convenient, soft target to scapegoat. If it seems as though they are, it's probably important to look back and work out where this impression came from. It may be enlightening. And this is why casual dismissive remarks about feminist-leaning fans in the context of a discussion of how politics are destroying anime comes across as gatekeeping. As fans, we need to avoid discrediting other viewpoints if we want to send a clear message. Especially when those other viewpoints are literally on the same side of the debate in the first place.

(I was very disappointed when I caught up on the thread over on UKA and saw some of the later comments which set up a 'them and us' narrative about things as simple as skin colour and representation; we know a bunch of AUKN users are not white, we know a bunch of AUKN users are not heterosexual. It's simply common sense to assume that rather than seeing representation as an optional trend. But that thread is what it is, and nobody here is saying such things. So I won't press the point further.)

I read the first page of that linked tinfoil-hat-wearing blog about 'animegate' back when Google's cache kindly provided me with the reference when the thread first appeared, and for the sake of debate I have gone back and suffered through the rest of it. Here are my impressions.
  • Nobody is 'infiltrating' 'our' hobby. Celebrities are saying they like it. That's amazing. A whole generation of kids out there are going to be able to openly talk about the latest episodes of My Hero Academia at school without being painted as disgusting nerds like a lot of us were when growing up. In a broader sense, being a nerd in general is no longer a problem now that Netflix is making geek content cool and prominent. I note that the blogger thought that Kim Kardashian declaring that she enjoyed watching Darling in the FranXX was the trigger for anime armageddon. I'm not a fan of her either, but let's be real. She was used because she's a softer target; nobody is genuinely decrying cooler celebrities like Michael B Jordan making comical anime fan shout-outs on Twitter. You can see it in action in the responses to both celebrities' tweets; one of them is teased, the other is attacked. By people who claim to be anime fans. If anime is going down (it's not), it's going to be because its fans act this way. Not because of celebrities liking FranXX.
  • The reason a bunch of news sites started running articles on anime in the mainstream right after the celebrities mentioned it is because the celebrities mentioned it. This is the only rational way to interpret the timeline; it's what news platforms do. There have been insinuations that the timing is all a media conspiracy but I prefer to assume the common sense interpretation. No western media outlet logically has any vested interest in starting a fandom war right now.
  • The blog seems to assume that 'we' built anime fandom up in recent years all on our own and the media has just appeared at the last minute to destroy everyone's hard work by making this cool geek hobby into a mainstream genre. That is silly. The media has had our backs for years now; we've gone from getting no coverage at all which wasn't about edgy 18-rated dubs and ultraviolence to getting cinema reviews and Netflix articles in respectable printed newspapers. I'm under no illusions that the media will try to destroy us too as soon as it's convenient to run stories with that leaning, but we've been through that a bunch of times before. It's never been an issue. Even in Japan, the media often questions some of the more dubious content. And frankly, the Japanese media has a lot more power to censor and change anime than foreign newspapers scapegoating anime for the latest geek-related incident.
  • The article then goes into its real meat, claiming that accusations of gatekeeping only exist because true fans are fighting for their hobby by pushing back against the media's recent (and so-far entirely positive) promotion of anime as a valid and interesting hobby. It's difficult to interpret an article written to decry casual fans coming into the hobby as anything other than gatekeeping. It is, quite literally, gatekeeping. Conflating it with a bunch of other issues as distractions doesn't take that away.
  • Anime isn't going to be forced to conform to mainstream culture. It's very much mainstream in Japan already, yet childhood darlings such as Doraemon manage to happily coexist alongside subversive late night shows about death, abuse and perversion. This is because anime is a medium which implicitly appeals to a diverse audience. It's very unusual in Japan for a fan to watch every different genre the way some people do in the west; this season a wife might be tuning in for Wotakoi, her husband for Magical Girl Site and their kids for One Piece (I'm stereotyping for convenience here). If Wotakoi gets called out in the Japanese press for being subversive (again, I deliberately picked the silly example), it's not going to tarnish One Piece. Not least because One Piece is so culturally ingrained at this point that it's pretty much untouchable. A lot of the anger western fans seem to have at times like this comes from the belief that all anime is aimed at them; the nerdy, unsuccessful 20-something male geek archetype. It's not. It never has been. All that improved accessibility has done is forced them to confront that fact for the first time, and while many celebrate the access to a wider variety of shows, others balk at the idea that they're suddenly being oppressed by a changing industry. I'm confident they'll get over it.
  • The article doubles down on its attempts to scare fans by claiming that now that anime has become popular it will be censored and torn apart by radical 'mainstream' groups (it quickly makes it clear that the writer's beef is mostly with feminism at this point, with some occasional lip service given to other groups to try to hide the fact that its sole purpose is attacking just one). I don't understand why this is being misrepresented as a new and horrifying thing; in Japan censorship of anime been happening for years and years. Artists have gone to prison for drawing manga which breached the rules of society, companies have been publishing apologies and recalling manga/anime content when mistakes have been made for decades. Grabbing examples from recent news to make it sound as though this is a brand new trend wrongly sets up a link between anime and/or feminism going 'mainstream' in the west and censorship taking place in the east. And they conflate ultra-liberal and hard-line conservative views freely in order to make it appear that they're arguing from a neutral standpoint against one extreme bogeyman, which is patently false. It's very irresponsible, disingenuous reporting.
  • Incidentally, I don't doubt that there are producers in the anime industry who occasionally say 'hey, this scene is going to be poorly received in the simulcast overseas, let's make some changes'. It's been insinuated numerous times by actual industry sources over there. Producers have been doing things like that since the very first anime productions, only back then they didn't think that their work was ever going to be seen outside Japan so the groups they were trying not to offend were domestic rather than international. Producers are still making changes from the source material to fit their own preferences and political agendas, and this will never change in an industry where multiple people are holding the reins to create a relatively mainstream product; an anime is an expensive undertaking and toning down source material is always part and parcel of the process. If you want to be truly edgy, an expensive mass-market product isn't the right thing to latch onto in the first place. Independent manga titles (especially those which are self-published) have a much more relaxed approach to freedom of expression. Whereas even the most niche anime titles hope to break into the mainstream and become successes; if they didn't, no production committee would ever support them in the first place. That's why they make Blu-rays and sell them in mainstream channels in the first place. This is common sense.
  • People respectfully challenging opinions is generally a good thing. I liked After The Rain and thought it was a rare case of anime actually treating a sensitive issue realistically instead of using it as pure fetish-bait; I watched every episode and would gladly buy it on BD. However, I don't think it's a problem for an Anime Feminist writer to say they didn't like it and support that view with examples from a different anime. I also don't think that Anime Feminist is going to singlehandedly bring about the cancellation of all age-gap romance stories by allowing one writer to express a perfectly valid opinion. If anything, the article could have encouraged people who did like the age-gap issues to seek out the other series they used as comparison, which allows fans to draw their own conclusions and watch more anime. Win:win.
  • I don't like the claims that mainstream feminist movements are the reason that people are uncomfortable with things which make them uncomfortable. People were uncomfortable with the things already. The fact that they feel emboldened to actually say so rather than hiding it to avoid being trolled into oblivion is a good thing - unless, of course, the 'establishment' knows that the things they want to defend are inherently indefensible. In which case, attacking people for questioning those things is silly. It's ok to accept that some of the things you like aren't 'good' things. It doesn't make it wrong to like them, and nobody is forcing you to think too deeply about the issues unless you choose to engage. I will freely admit that a lot of the things I like are not pleasant, just as I'll admit that a lot of the anime I watch isn't stuff I'd recommend to others.
  • The corporate examples were just as daft as the rest of the article. Newsflash, anime costs money and people want to work out how to exploit the market to make money from it. "Anime Japan is holding a seminar focused on how to expand the anime industry in North America" is presented as a new revolution when in fact, Japanese producers and decision-makers have been openly wondering about this around meeting tables ever since the first foreign anime money started flowing back towards Japan decades ago. Of course they want to expand the anime industry globally. You don't have to drill into the Anime Japan schedule to work this out; it's obvious from looking at all of the coproductions and legal streaming developments over the past decade. Heck, just watch an episode of Anisong Station and look for how many times the hosts casually mention how the series is now being broadcast worldwide or how the guests that week are popular in Europe; it's a badge of honour which is actively used to market to the Japanese audience.
  • The last page was mostly about gaming rather than anime so I sort of tuned out (despite being a very active gamer who likes stuff like DoA). It openly admits there are no good examples actually using anime, but it doesn't matter because it's no longer hiding its divisive rabble-rousing agenda by this point. The only two comments on the article itself are both making fun of it, which makes me question why people outside of the blog's readership are expected to take it any more seriously. No thanks.

R

As far as I'm concerned it's not a licensor's job to insert a political agenda where there wasn't one in the original work and Funimation have been guilty of that more than once. I appreciate if you're dubbing a comedy perhaps there are situations where you'll have to rework a pun or joke that just doesn't translate but Funimation have taken harmless lines and at a whim chosen to make them political. I think in the past 2 years here I've shown I'm not shy about broadcasting my own politics but there's a difference between doing that in a public debate or a discussion forum and inserting it into someone else's work. It'd be like if I got invited to help work on a Gundam show and had one of the heroes say "Oh man, this is as bad as Brexit!". There would be no reason for it to be there other than to graffiti someone else's work with my personal politics.

As far as I'm concerned it's not a licensor's job to insert a political agenda where there wasn't one in the original work and Funimation have been guilty of that more than once. I appreciate if you're dubbing a comedy perhaps there are situations where you'll have to rework a pun or joke that just doesn't translate but Funimation have taken harmless lines and at a whim chosen to make them political. I think in the past 2 years here I've shown I'm not shy about broadcasting my own politics but there's a difference between doing that in a public debate or a discussion forum and inserting it into someone else's work. It'd be like if I got invited to help work on a Gundam show and had one of the heroes say "Oh man, this is as bad as Brexit!". There would be no reason for it to be there other than to graffiti someone else's work with my personal politics.

I think that even the most ardent supporter of the Funimation edits (I've never seen one but I assume they exist!) would likely agree that it makes the script nonsensical by adding a bunch of references to issues nobody will even remember in a few years from now. It's bad translation policy to add cultural references unrelated to the original work, especially from the perspective of a UK fan who might not understand the reference any more once it's been converted into a contemporary US equivalent.

There have been cases of mixed messages in fandom here; people want accurate dub scripts, yet comedy rewrites like the Ghost Stories dub are praised for their irreverence despite being blatantly insulting towards the intentions of the original creators. At the very least the subtitle track should always be kept literal and hot button political in-jokes in the dub script should be saved for the annoying blooper reels of extras if they're included at all. I agree with the way you've summed it up.

Some things are borderline; likely more unintentional bias or wrong-minded editing choices than deliberate politics. But they really need someone else checking those Funimation scripts before they go out in future to ensure they're appropriately professional, and I hope that the culprits are thinking twice about some of their assumptions in light of the outcry.

R

There have been cases of mixed messages in fandom here; people want accurate dub scripts, yet comedy rewrites like the Ghost Stories dub are praised for their irreverence despite being blatantly insulting towards the intentions of the original creators.

R

I think there is a difference between creating an entirely comidical dub for a show that no one really cared about, not even the creators, and altering lines in a dub that aims to be a beat for beat translation barring off script comments here and there.

I think there is a difference between creating an entirely comidical dub for a show that no one really cared about, not even the creators
Assuming this is a refernce to the supposed fact that Ghost Stories was a flop in Japan so the licencors let ADV do whatever they wanted with the show: this is a massive, completely untrue myth.

Ghost Stories was very successful in Japan. It's a children's show for one thing, so you can't really be compare it to most other typical late night anime. The show also gets fairly frequent re-airings in Japan, something that only happens with shows that are popular (otherwise, why bother re-airing them?) It's also had multiple DVD releases there as well. Again, this doesn't happen with unpopular shows.

The dub happened because, ADV licensed it (either on its own or part of a bundle) because this was at the time ADV would license literally anything they could. Then they suddenly realised "oh wait, this is a children's show that has massive cultural links to Japan and requires fairly good knowledge of folklore and yokai. Nobody in the west will take to this!" And they'd be right. So they made the gag dub as a way to help make it sell.

(Once again, this is all my personal opinion as a human being.)

There are a lot of problems with condemning the entirety of the feminist movement just because some people invoke its name to make statements which are patently exclusive and anti-equality. ......

.......The only two comments on the article itself are both making fun of it, which makes me question why people outside of the blog's readership are expected to take it any more seriously. No thanks.

R

Thanks for reading and summarising that Rui.

Thinking back on that podcast, I think the whole thing can be paraphrased in two relevant sentences.

--- I perceive that the thing I like is changing in a way that I don't want it to.
--- If people don't like it, they can vote with their wallets.

Everything else is fearmongering and hyperbole.

It's like crime statistics. The news will announce that some crime statistic has changed, and all manner of commentators will appear trying to explain it in a way that conforms to their agendas. The reality may be completely different, a combination of those factors, or just one or two of those factors.

To my recollection, I indulged in gatekeeping just the once. It was 1987, and there was a new Star Trek TV series, without Kirk, Spock and McCoy. How dare they! A beige ship, a bald captain, a boy on the bridge, a psychiatrist on the ship talking about feelings. Of course there was no Internet to speak of, so I got together with a bunch of friends and just bitched for months. Then I actually saw the show. watched it, taped it, bought the retail VHS, the DVD, the Blu-ray, but I digress.

By the time George Lucas got around to 'raping our childhoods' with his prequels. I'd grown up. If I don't like something, I don't like it. I have a small whinge (usually a review), and then I move on. I might take a look in a year or so to see if things have changed for the better, but I don't stress about it.

It's fan entitlement again, the same fan entitlement that demanded fansubbed anime for free ten or so years ago. I guess they need something else to feel proprietary about. The creative industries are built on change. Everything is going to change whether you like it or not. It can be evolutionary change, revoutionary, driven by the consumer, driven by the creator, driven by corporate forces, driven by mass media, driven by politics, but things will change. Gatekeepers are like Canute standing in the way of the tide.

The market will always decide. Screaming, shouting and kvetching will accomplish one of two things. a) nothing. b) annoy the creators to the degree that they just give up and move on to something more rewarding, leaving you with nothing.

As for Funimation's dub choices, I can see why they do that, an attempt to make their translations immediately relevant to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. Some random casual fan watches an episode of something and it references something in his or her immediate life and it resonates, becomes memorable. Personally I'd hope that Funimation keeps the topical references for the simuldubs and refines the translation for the home video releases, but as long as the original Japanese with closer subtitle translation is there, it's no skin of my nose.

UK Anime.net resident here (Forum poster really). I consider myself a feminist but I do think that modern feminism is starting to be a bit too radical. Its causing such problems in geek fanhood because of how militant its become and quite frankly people react badly when you try to take away what they like. This is why mess like GG and the comic book debacle happened. I still think there are important feminist issues that need discussion and that the other side can be trollish and insenstive at times and need to reign it in a bit but I do believe it could be done without drama. I mean come on, the guy shares his opinion then the website has to take down the podcast and people resign.

For those interested, these are the pieces the podcast discussed:
Article 1 - Normalization of Anime
Article 2 - Fanbase War
Article 3 - Social Pressure
Article 4 - Corporations Getting Involved
Article 5 - Censorship

While I do think a bit o fearmongering is at work (I don't think intentionally), I do believe that the author is not being misogynist and brings some valid points.
It's all called "gate" really, it's been said that the whole thing is mentioned as gatekeeping fandoms.
I don't think more militant feminism is just in fandoms, it's trying to get into everything, I do think there are two forms of idealogy; one of empowerment, that us an ideal one's person believes and it motivates them, and a meme ideology like religion that has to have as many believers as possible, I do think this current push is the second type, and mainstream things like corporations love following trends.
When it comes to fandoms though, they are full of average Joe's, the average Joe is not as much of a fan of trends as corporations are, they can tell when something is being pushed and may not always belong there, the gate keeping obviously is a defensive move to keep stuff like that out, but is far too heavy handed.
Rui made one meaty post, and I don't have a lot if time to respond to thebwholw thing, so I'll just compress my thoughts: I really think things becoming more mainstream is a good thing, a lot more people will share that interest, why would anyone want to close it off and be more alone?
The whole thing with dragon maids dub I don't think it's specifically about feminism or social justice or whatever it's thought to be, it's may be about the politics of the people at funi who did it, and how they handeled it, that makes it a different discussion entirely.
I still think there needs to be discussion on how east and west handles things seriously, and I think there is one reason from two different sources of why anime and other things like that are censored, it's often to avoid offense, it comes from Japan's more conservative leaning and maybe the wests pc culture in part, it's been decades since many western countries were as conservative as Japan

Comedy dub changes are a mixed bag for me. I think Samurai Pizza Cats was great and the same writers did similar work when they tackled Transformers: RID and SD Gundam Force. Those two in particular really benefit from taking an outsider's view to anime tropes and cliches ("NOOO, THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING!!...Well, I suppose it can...b-but it shouldn't be happening!"). Along the same lines you have the often mentioned BBC dub of Lum where most of the dialogue is ad libbing or based on British culture.

The flip side of that again leads me to Funimation. I'm not a huge fan of Hetalia but when I watched it a lot of the jokes landed for me. So it was painful to turn on the dub, hear the Funimation team compare it to South Park and basically write over the original script with crayons. And they've done it with some other comedy titles to. In general I always find it cringy when a company licenses a comedy anime because they tend to take it as an open door to go 'Look how wacky we are!'. I'm very happy that ADV licensed Excel Saga years ago but their packaging and extras for the show never struck me as quite matching the tone of humour the show had.

I think something that has led us to these circumstances is the fact it was a very long road to getting accurate translations in the first place. Stuff like Gigantor, Voltron and Robotech changed stuff as they saw fit, ignoring the canon of the respective shows to create their own. I think one of the big time harbingers of this was Power Rangers, which paired Japanese fight footage with American footage and ignored the lore of Zyuranger to do something more suited to western kids. Sonic the Hedgehog was designed to be changed as needed by local Sega branches to appeal to respective markets and Toei has never been shy of letting licensors change their shows if they convince them it's what needs to be done to make them work outside Japan.

There are a lot of problems with condemning the entirety of the feminist movement just because some people invoke its name to make statements which are patently exclusive and anti-equality. For one thing, it allows the enemies of equality to derail the much-needed conversations about bringing that equality about by smearing the messenger;

Might I just pop my head in here again and mention what an EXCELLENT point this is, Rui?

Seriously - this really cuts through all the crap and shines a light on a HUGE problem I see frequently during these kinds of discussions. You CANNOT have a productive dialogue about serious issues when there are people creating a divide over it and proudly standing on one side or the other, taking pot-shots at the other or manipulating arguments to score points and support personal agendas. (Bolded for emphasis just because I've had to explain this more or less with sock puppets to some folks in the past.)

I've actually had to firmly ask a few people I know through making comics - sometimes other freelancers, more often very passionate fans - NOT to involve me in online discussion of things like LGBT issues, feminism, gender pay equality and transgender issues. It's not because I don't have opinions on these things. More a case that I've already learned that WHATEVER you say in these debates, no matter how reasonably, somebody is ready to argue with you and very quickly take it to a place of personal attack. It's simply not worth the hassle.

If people would actually engage their brain cells for a moment, they'd maybe see how that kind of approach does nothing to further the points they're trying to make. Logical consideration of these things usually shows up the truth or fallacies in the arguments being made by folks on all sides. (My facetious hot take on this: Just coz some MTV funded bra-burner says she's a feminist doesn't make it so. It behooves the audience to check the definitions of the ideology they support and make sure the words that come out of its public mouthpieces are in line with it.)

It takes a certain spirit of calmness and reason to get to that. Most folks, sad to say, seem to be riding their own respective bandwagons of choice for the wrong reasons. They like an argument, and it's a good way to find one. Or adopting an ill-conceived stance on one of these issues seems like a good way to stick it to the guys they don't agree with.

Last edited:
On the gatekeeping point - I only ever start to worry when the creators of media themselves start to listen to the loudest voices in the room, or their publishers or advertisers do, because that can have the effect of stopping people from creating what they want to create and instead make them try to create what they think people want, when actually very few people do want it but those people just happened to be very loud.

Anyone who harangues creators in an attempt to make them create what they want (or more often, does so in an attempt to make them stop creating things they don't like - I'm sure everyone remembers that horrendous BBC lolicon "documentary" most people here ripped the p*ss out of) can, quite frankly, go to Hell as far as I'm concerned. People are on this earth to do what they choose to do, not to serve anyone else like a slave. And the more people who realize that and who tell anyone attempting to hinder them creating whatever the Hell they like where to go, the better.

Thankfully, I don't think we actually have to worry too much about anime and manga because Japanese creators seem a lot more in tune with this mindset.

On the gatekeeping point - I only ever start to worry when the creators of media themselves start to listen to the loudest voices in the room, or their publishers or advertisers do, because that can have the effect of stopping people from creating what they want to create and instead make them try to create what they think people want, when actually very few people do want it but those people just happened to be very loud.

Anyone who harangues creators in an attempt to make them create what they want (or more often, does so in an attempt to make them stop creating things they don't like - I'm sure everyone remembers that horrendous BBC lolicon "documentary" most people here ripped the p*ss out of) can, quite frankly, go to Hell as far as I'm concerned. People are on this earth to do what they choose to do, not to serve anyone else like a slave. And the more people who realize that and who tell anyone attempting to hinder them creating whatever the Hell they like where to go, the better.

Thankfully, I don't think we actually have to worry too much about anime and manga because Japanese creators seem a lot more in tune with this mindset.
I don't think I've seen the lolicon documentary but I did see a while ago on youtube BBC's piece on anime and the culture that has come up. all you can take from it is "autistics love anime" when most of what those people were into were pokemon, and they dare not ask someone who doesn't have autism, which seems like a slam piece to me, since I don't get the impression that many people on this site have autism, my sister inlaw and my nephew are, don't show much interest in anime and I'm not going to mention names but apparently at least one member here has said they are autistic. I don't trust the BBC to know anything about the anime fandom, they've shown virtually no anime either, so how would they know when their ratings for it don't exist

I don't trust the BBC to know anything about the anime fandom, they've shown virtually no anime either, so how would they know when their ratings for it don't exist

This would be the same BBC that has Tory beneficiaries at the top of its heirarchy, routinely broadcasts misleading news items with a political bias so painfully obvious it's comical, and has permitted innumerable irresponsible and unbalanced documentary style reports on minority groups and communities. While sheltering high profile abusers of children.

On balance, I would say you're quite correct not to trust them.

Although it was the BBC that introduced me to anime both unawares with the Euro-Japanese stuff they showed in the 80s and fully aware when they showed Akira, nearly 25 years ago now!
Although I don't recall them showing any recently, not that I watch TV "live" anymore bar sports. I think anime on TV has been mostly shown on satellite channels rather than the traditional terrestrial ones. It'll be interesting to see if Your Name. is big enough to make it on to any of them!

This would be the same BBC that has Tory beneficiaries at the top of its heirarchy, routinely broadcasts misleading news items with a political bias so painfully obvious it's comical, and has permitted innumerable irresponsible and unbalanced documentary style reports on minority groups and communities. While sheltering high profile abusers of children.

On balance, I would say you're quite correct not to trust them.
Whoa! The Tory thing is spot on and maybe I haven't been following the mainstream news close enough, but you make it sound like the higher level of the BBC is just a closet of paedophiles, a little hyperbolic I think. The culture of "listen and believe" accusations has gotten out of hand and stories like that making the press stifle police and other investigators ability to find the truth, they don't have access to stories that have been sold. I don't believe every case against someone like Bill Cosby is true, it's a bandwagon, but in Cosby's case I do believe there is enough facts there that he may not see the outside of a cell again.
I don't believe the BBC knowingly protect people with known accusations, apart from someone they can't replace easily

I don't think I've seen the lolicon documentary but I did see a while ago on youtube BBC's piece on anime and the culture that has come up. all you can take from it is "autistics love anime" when most of what those people were into were pokemon, and they dare not ask someone who doesn't have autism, which seems like a slam piece to me, since I don't get the impression that many people on this site have autism, my sister inlaw and my nephew are, don't show much interest in anime and I'm not going to mention names but apparently at least one member here has said they are autistic. I don't trust the BBC to know anything about the anime fandom, they've shown virtually no anime either, so how would they know when their ratings for it don't exist

Pardon my bluntness, but am I right in assuming that you view your hobby being associated with autistic fans as an inconvenience for you? Because that's certainly how that post sounded to me, so apologies if my interpretation is incorrect! However, do you know what's even more inconvenient?

Living with autism every single day. While I'm classed as high functioning, from the moment I started school, right up to my working life today, I have faced countless struggles with my autism, with the vast majority stemming directly from the ignorance of peers, teachers and managers - one example being an assistant manager at McDonald's who would verbally and physically abuse me because in her head, being autistic meant I was stupid and thus, beneath her (sadly, a belief not exclusive to her during my time working there).

Also, do you - or anyone else - really have any authority to judge what people can or can't sit down and enjoy at the end of their day? Why is a connection being made about autistic people and anime something that bothers you? In your eyes, is there anything inherently bad about autistic people like anime, or a few autistic fans being associated with the medium?
Your comment about the interviewees supposedly only liking mainstream things like Pokémon is fatally flawed gatekeeping; is someone not a "real fan" in your eyes unless they prostrate themselves over the artistic influences of Masaaki Yuasa, or have a timer counting down to the end of Harmony Gold's Macross license? If you'd like me to present my Weeb License for authentication, I've bought Symphogear AXZ character song CDs from specific sites for their retailer bonuses, so do I pass the test?... but wait! I like Pokémon too! ;)

I can only speak from my own experience given how broad the autistic spectrum is, but I'll share a key reason why I was so drawn to the medium: expressiveness. Autistic people like myself can have difficulty reading the subtleties of body language, yet anime is often drawn in a very expressive way; large eyes respond directly to a character's emotions, red faces to denote embarrassment etc. These more obvious visual cues can help me understand characters' thoughts, feelings and motivations more clearly, which lets me appreciate some series' more.

since I don't get the impression that many people on this site have autism, my sister inlaw and my nephew are, don't show much interest in anime and I'm not going to mention names but apparently at least one member here has said they are autistic.
Isolating just this comment for a moment, I have to wonder the purpose of you mentioning an assumption about the number of our autistic members, as well as alluding to one known with autism? Trying to position yourself as an expert because two relatives of yours have autism but don't like anime ("Oh no! The BBC's false narrative is ruined! Looks like only us neurotypicals like anime!"), or is it an attempt to make any autistic members reading your post feel isolated?

Regarding the BBC's report, perhaps they didn't ask non-autistic people because autistic fans was the topic the whole report was about? Also, isn't it funny how people with left wing beliefs accuse them of being too right wing biased, yet those with right wing views accuse the BBC of being too liberal? Any time their supposed biases come up, it just sounds like a tin-foil hat...

Whoa! The Tory thing is spot on and maybe I haven't been following the mainstream news close enough, but you make it sound like the higher level of the BBC is just a closet of paedophiles, a little hyperbolic I think...

...I don't believe the BBC knowingly protect people with known accusations, apart from someone they can't replace easily

Perhaps I speak a little too unguardedly with my turn of phrase towards the end of that last post. Perhaps, instead of 'sheltering high profile abusers of children' I should have posted 'doing nothing to expose high profile abusers of children in their employ.' Personally, I see very little difference between the two, however.

Not a dig at you, I hasten to add. And I'm not meaning to drag this discussion into a dark uncomfortable place, either.

Pardon my bluntness, but am I right in assuming that you view your hobby being associated with autistic fans as an inconvenience for you? Because that's certainly how that post sounded to me, so apologies if my interpretation is incorrect! However, do you know what's even more inconvenient?

Living with autism every single day. While I'm classed as high functioning, from the moment I started school, right up to my working life today, I have faced countless struggles with my autism, with the vast majority stemming directly from the ignorance of peers, teachers and managers - one example being an assistant manager at McDonald's who would verbally and physically abuse me because in her head, being autistic meant I was stupid and thus, beneath her (sadly, a belief not exclusive to her during my time working there).

Also, do you - or anyone else - really have any authority to judge what people can or can't sit down and enjoy at the end of their day? Why is a connection being made about autistic people and anime something that bothers you? In your eyes, is there anything inherently bad about autistic people like anime, or a few autistic fans being associated with the medium?
Your comment about the interviewees supposedly only liking mainstream things like Pokémon is fatally flawed gatekeeping; is someone not a "real fan" in your eyes unless they prostrate themselves over the artistic influences of Masaaki Yuasa, or have a timer counting down to the end of Harmony Gold's Macross license? If you'd like me to present my Weeb License for authentication, I've bought Symphogear AXZ character song CDs from specific sites for their retailer bonuses, so do I pass the test?... but wait! I like Pokémon too! ;)

I can only speak from my own experience given how broad the autistic spectrum is, but I'll share a key reason why I was so drawn to the medium: expressiveness. Autistic people like myself can have difficulty reading the subtleties of body language, yet anime is often drawn in a very expressive way; large eyes respond directly to a character's emotions, red faces to denote embarrassment etc. These more obvious visual cues can help me understand characters' thoughts, feelings and motivations more clearly, which lets me appreciate some series' more.

Isolating just this comment for a moment, I have to wonder the purpose of you mentioning an assumption about the number of our autistic members, as well as alluding to one known with autism? Trying to position yourself as an expert because two relatives of yours have autism but don't like anime ("Oh no! The BBC's false narrative is ruined! Looks like only us neurotypicals like anime!"), or is it an attempt to make any autistic members reading your post feel isolated?

Regarding the BBC's report, perhaps they didn't ask non-autistic people because autistic fans was the topic the whole report was about? Also, isn't it funny how people with left wing beliefs accuse them of being too right wing biased, yet those with right wing views accuse the BBC of being too liberal? Any time their supposed biases come up, it just sounds like a tin-foil hat...
Are you, gatekeeping autism? (That is a joke, I do not mean to upset anyone with it)
That isolated post about my family, I was trying to point out that it isn't a dig at autistic people, I love the two people I mentioned, but I don't profess to understand autism either. My brother, the husband and father, lives with them every day, all day, all I really know is some of the things he tells me, he has to be a pseudo expert (again, not a true expert) or a lack of understanding could hurt him and his wife and son, the issue could last for days and still not repair the relationship.
My problem isn't with fans on the spectrum, it's with disingenuous reporting. I wish I had more time to find it, I'm on night shifts , but basically it's a clip where they mention anime, then basically single out autistic people for interviews, with many of them mentioning Pokemon, it all seems very tailored to say x causes y to an audience that understands neither autism nor anime, what enrages me about it is that's not how the reality of either of those things work. I'm sure there's an anime fan in the beeb somewhere, if they asked them the first thing they would do would be walking them to their huge DVD collection.

If I have a beef with Pokemon it's this; I loved it when it first came out, I couldn't put the game boy down, but I kind of grew out of it, I'm not hyped about it anymore, yet if anyone in person when anyone wants to mention anything relating to anime or manga their go to is Pokemon like it's all they know. Imagine that a tonne of people on here were talking about dbz, talking about every episode of super, and didn't really pay any mind to anything else in the medium, how irritating would that be? I wouldn't want to gate keep but I live in a town where virtually no one knows anything about my interests and the lack of knowledge has me feeling like I'm surrounded by idiots - some guy from work friends me on PlayStation, I play alot of db xenoverse "oh you've been playing Pokemon" I wear one of my favourite shirts to work and the managers notice "oh, that's an anime thing. What anime are you?" I am dumbfounded by how that question is worded, then he guesses Pokemon (the shirt is tomoko kuriki from watamote) that seemed even dumber than the question. I don't want to attack Pokemon fans but using it for a lack of knowledge is just infuriating

Edit: I found an article covering that clip Here it also has that clip which is bargain bin reporting even for the mighty beeb

I also seen This article on anitay I'm about to read and the headline made me chuckle, this thread is really doing something to angry up the blood and it's just the perfect time to find an article like that. I think Ross might have learnt something if he read it too

Last edited:
The BBC isn't my favourite news outlet in the world (and it has really suffered from a drop in editorial quality lately, at least in its online form; some articles have more mistakes than correct spellings and blatant biases!) I think most of it is due to individual writers rather than anything else, though, which is why it probably seems inconsistent at times. I see biases in my own favour there too - an article about sexism the other day went out of its way to ridicule the person speaking in favour of sexism. Even if I personally agree that it's a terrible position to take, a national news platform probably isn't the best place to mock one of the participants in a debate. Tighter reins would help.

However, I haven't seen any evidence that their anime reporting of late has been overwhelmingly negative. The autism article, in context, was an interest piece about local independent shops with unusual niches (sad that they chose the piracy-filled Tokyo Toys but there isn't exactly all that much competition). The reporter then went out of their way to highlight how anime and manga are disproportionately popular with autistic people which gave the otherwise-boring report a focus. And that popularity is a positive thing! A significant proportion of the population are on the autism spectrum and I can say with absolute confidence that I know of at least a dozen AUKN regulars who are non-neurotypical because they've mentioned it in the past, either in private or in public posts. I'm not saying who they are for obvious reasons but I know firsthand that a sizeable number of our fellow fans will have had an interest in the things mentioned in the video.

The report doesn't mean that all autistic people like anime, or that all anime fans are autistic, but interviewing people who have nothing to do with the topic at hand wouldn't have made any sense. Everyone already knows people who aren't openly on the autistic spectrum. If the article helped even a single isolated future-fan with AS realise that they might enjoy anime, it was worth publishing. I certainly don't feel personally attacked by the implications and would raise an eyebrow at the idea that associating my hobby with autism discredits it in any way. There's no implication that anime causes autism unless you're going into the article with that assumption already in place. The thought genuinely never crossed my mind back when it first did the rounds.

Autism is not a slur, no matter how much certain empathy-deficient trolls on the Internet (the irony of this does not escape me) like to pretend otherwise. I was sad when I Googled the article and found people who actually read it that way; hopefully they'll eventually manage to educate themselves and look back on their ignorance with embarrassment and shame. In contrast, those on the autism spectrum have nothing to be ashamed about. They're just people, living their lives and trying to get by like everyone else.

There have been other BBC News articles covering anime lately, including positive pieces on Your Name, Takahata and Grave of the Fireflies. And as has been mentioned, there have been negative pieces such as the one a year or so ago which highlighted the lolicon trend. We've criticised all of the negative coverage as it comes out in other threads many times.

The Pokemon point is funny because before Pokemon came out, in the US it was Dragonball (Z) which was the stereotypical 'oh no, newbs only like this stupid kiddy series about big men punching one another' title. Everyone and their dog in the chat rooms of the day would bitterly complain that they were surrounded by people with names like 'ssj6_gotenks' who didn't appreciate 'true' anime like, uh, Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer (hey, we didn't have the best selection in those days). In any case, the people who acted like that then were fools. The Dragonball fans had just as much right to celebrate their favourite show as anyone else.

(Edit: In the specific example of the news piece, I suspect that any clips of fans waxing lyrical about their love for obscure gothic horror mystery characters were likely cut to ensure that the intended audience would recognise the anime references being made. The prominence of Pokemon is likely an editing conceit as much as it is an accurate reflection of the wider tastes of the fandom; if you want people to understand a point you have to make sure that they can understand it. If I was answering an interviewer who asked for my favourite show, I'd probably pick something that people were likely to know existed since provoking a discussion tends to be more productive than impressing them with my all-consuming love for jidaigeki.)

Pokemon is a much higher quality series than the ultraviolent dross which brought me into the hobby back in the dark ages, and there's no shame in people getting into anime through Pokemon. There's no shame in adults liking Pokemon either. It's a pity that the public at large don't have more exposure to anime, but believe me that being accused of liking Pokemon when you don't is a thousand times better than everyone assuming you're a passionate fan of La Blue Girl. If the worst that is happening is that you're feeling frustrated that people don't understand, educate them yourself. I bought my boss a DVD of Paprika once to stop her asking weird questions. I made my mum sit down and watch Fushigi Yuugi (only to be dismayed when she fell for Tamahome; sheesh). My dad refused to watch anything then borrowed GitS from a friend behind my back one day on his own. I've had kids on trains call out to me in excitement when they see I'm reading manga, and gladly given them recommendations even though I'm a colossal introvert who hardly talks to people by choice.

We're at a point where anime is getting better press than it ever has before. A major television event broadcast worldwide had references to Pikachu and Dragonball just the other day; it's awesome to see how the hobby has found a wider audience overseas. I'm not willing to let a tiny minority of wannabe-gatekeepers spoil it for the rest of us.

R

Last edited:
The BBC post a piece about an anime meme which isn't reactionary, or provocative, but instead is informative...

How a 2011 meme took over Twitter in 2018

Is this a pigeon? A 2011 meme reincarnated in 2018
2018 is becoming the year old memes come back to life.

When a 2011 meme called American Chopper re-emerged on Twitter in 2018, the BBC explored how a meme about two men arguing had lived a second life long after its first.

Now the feat has been repeated, as a 2011 image macro (a still picture with text imposed) asking if a butterfly is a pigeon has surged in popularity seven years later.

In the widely shared image, a character from a Japanese anime gestures towards a butterfly and asks: "Is this a pigeon?"

Back