Revenge of the Simulwatch!

I think it would be better to stick with shows that are available for streaming, as Prof pointed out. And not too recent either I guess.
Oh and I've got nothing against slice of life moe shows but I'm not sure they'd be the most interesting thing to simulwatch and discuss.
Of course this greatly limits our possible choices... Lain/Haibane Renmei/Kino/Paranoia Agent/Eva have all been mentioned and would have been good picks but they're not available for streaming.

Just skimming through viewtopic.php?f=36&t=18172 and throwing some ideas

Casshern Sins (2008)
MAL said:
In the distant future, where cyborgs and humans struggle to survive after the war which destroyed the world, a being in white suit awakens. His name is Casshern and he remembers nothing of his own past.

In barren and dark dystopian world, where every being alive seems to hate his existence and the evil from his past wants him dead, Casshern, haunted by the flashes of his past memories has to survive and figure out who or what exactly he is and how he got to where he is now. But he does not know that he might not like the horrible truth of the past, hidden deep inside his mind...
Gankutsuou (2004)
MAL said:
Gankutsuou is an anime loosely based on the novel The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. It tells the story of Albert Morcerf, a young aristocrat who happens to befriend a wealthy nobleman, The Count of Monte Cristo, through a series of bizarre events. Fascinated by the Count's charm, Albert invites him to meet his friends and family, all of whom happen to be part of the upper class society of Paris, France. Unfortunately, little does Albert realize that the Count has ulterior motives in mind.
Gunslinger Girl (2003)
MAL said:
In the heart of Italy, the Social Welfare Agency rescues young girls from hospital beds and gives them a second chance at life using the latest in cybernetic advancements. With their artificially enhanced bodies, the girls are brainwashed and trained as assassins to carry out the dirty work of the Italian Government. Despite all the modifications, they are still just children at heart, struggling for recognition from those they love, even knowing the love they feel is manufactured. This tragic tale unfolds as these girls grapple with their emotions in an agency that treats them as nothing but ruthless killers.
Kaiji (2007)
MAL said:
Kaiji Itou is a good-for-nothing loiterer who spends his days drinking beer and stealing hubcaps—that is, until he ends up being tricked by his former co-worker. Unable to suddenly repay his friend's huge debt all by himself, Kaiji is offered a shady deal to participate in an illegal underground gamble on a cruise ship. This turns out to be nothing more than the beginning of his new life of hell—thrown headlong into a life-threatening roller coaster of mind games, cheating, and deceit.

Based on the first entry of the famous gambling manga series by Nobuyuki Fukumoto, Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor follows our unlucky protagonist as he is forced to fight not only other people, but also the mysteries of their psyches. Kaiji finds out the hard way that the worst sides of human nature surface when people's backs are against the wall, and that the most fearsome dangers of all are greed, paranoia, and the human survival instinct itself.
Texhnolyze (2003)
MAL said:
In a man-made underground society, descendants of a banished generation vie for control of the crumbling city of Lux. Ichise, an orphan turned prize fighter, loses a leg and an arm to satisfy an enraged fight promoter. On the brink of death he is taken in by a young woman doctor and used as a guinea pig for the next evolution of Texhnolyze. With his new limbs, Ichise is taken under the wing of Oonishi, a powerful leader of Organ, an organization with some hold on Lux. As Ichise is drawn deeper into a war for territorial control of the city, he learns of his possible future from the young girl prophet Ran, who guides him from the shadows in his darkest times. With the explosion of the warfare, Ichise must uncover the truth about Lux and fight for his survival as he realizes his destiny.
The Vision of Escaflowne (1996)
MAL said:
High school student Hitomi is transported from Earth to the magical world of Gaea, where she meets boy prince Van Fanel, and is caught up in his quest to unite the countries of Gaea against the ominous Zaibach empire. On the way, she discovers an hidden ability and strives to unravel layers of mystery surrounding Van, his past, and the giant machine known as Escaflowne.
Wolf's Rain (2003)
MAL said:
In some distant future, it's common knowledge that all wolves have been extinct for 200 years. However, it seems this is false as wolves have not disappeared but rather have taken human form. Kiba, a lone wolf, wanders into a city, trying to sniff out the Lunar Flowers that are supposed to lead whoever follows the scent to paradise. The source of the smell is Cheza, a girl who sleeps in what appears to be suspended animation in a lab. She and the wolves are drawn to each other, and Kiba hopes to find paradise once he finds the source of the scent of Lunar Flowers. However, once Kiba finds Cheza, she is kidnapped by a mysterious person called Darcia, and his search begins anew. Before he leaves the city, he meets 3 other wolves, Tsume, Hige and Toboe. All four wolves have very different personalities and ideas, and their friendliness towards each other is a little rough around the edges. However, they soon band together to continue to search for paradise.

BlackStrat said:
Just skimming through viewtopic.php?f=36&t=18172 and throwing some ideas
I like the idea of doing Gankutsuou and/or Escaflowne but since they're coming out on Blu-ray from Anime Limited I feel like it'd be better to wait until then (also gives non-streaming folk a better chance to join in). Gunslinger Girl could be interesting, I do have a copy of it that I haven't watched anyway. I don't think I have copies of the other suggestions but could give them a go streaming if there's one that people are keen on.

I quite like the idea of simulwatching Mobile Suit Gundam when it comes out, not sure if it'd be best to wait for the second part (or at least until 20 days before the release). Maybe something to think about if people can plan ahead, I shouldn't think it'd be a problem for me.

I'd be okay with Psycho Pass, although I'm not sure season 2 is available here (though I think a lot of people consider the two seasons as kind of separate things) and being on Netflix for streaming probably isn't as easy for people to access.

I'd be up for K-On, although I still don't have it on Blu-ray (will probably have to wait until early next year).

I suppose we could do A Lull In The Sea/Nagi no Asukara, with it being on Crunchyroll and just recently getting a fancy release. Still not an old show though.

I still haven't got around to watching the first season of Durarara!!, so I wouldn't mind doing that as a simulwatch. I guess the new seasons are on-going though so I'm not sure how people would feel about just watching the first season (especially if they're currently watching the newer stuff).

Other things I have floating around that I should really get around to watching and are available to stream:
From The New World/Shin Sekai Yori
Gurren Lagann (though it's only streaming on Netflix, I think)
Kids on the Slope/Sakamichi no Apollon
Kill la Kill (another Netflix one)
Steins;Gate (also only on Netflix for streaming)
Watamote

There's also Monogatari, though that'd be a big undertaking and I'm not sure which parts are available to stream. Another one that might be interesting would be Soni-Ani: Super Sonico The Animation, at least I've heard it's interesting (and I notice it's available on Crunchyroll).

I've seen Outlaw Star before but it could be an interesting option and is more readily available now with the Anime Limited release and being on Viewster. It was quite a while ago that I last watched it so it might be interesting to see what I think of it now. Also, it's a bit of an older show.

I've also been meaning to re-watch Toradora! so if people felt like doing a simulwatch of that then I'd be up for it.

I notice that NieA_7 is on Viewster, it's been on my list for a while but I don't know a lot about it really (I think it's kind of slice of life).

I'd be tempted to suggest Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun/Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun just as an excuse to watch it again (streaming only though, I guess).

Smeelia said:
There's also Monogatari, though that'd be a big undertaking and I'm not sure which parts are available to stream.

I've just looked into this. I believe it's all up for streaming, with Bakemonogatari on Viewster and everything else on Crunchyroll, except the 3 ONA episodes of Bakemonogatari which are BD/DVD only. The PQ on Viewster is terrible, to the point where it affects the show and makes the subtitles borderline illegible in parts. For those reasons, I don't think you could do it.

Buzz201 said:
I've just looked into this. I believe it's all up for streaming, with Bakemonogatari on Viewster and everything else on Crunchyroll, except the 3 ONA episodes of Bakemonogatari which are BD/DVD only. The PQ on Viewster is terrible, to the point where it affects the show and makes the subtitles borderline illegible in parts. For those reasons, I don't think you could do it.
I suppose if enough people had the Blu-rays and were willing then it could still be an option, though it'd probably have to be done in parts so that people don't have to commit to watching the whole thing at once (plus it gives more time for the newer releases, I guess). I've got the Blu-rays for Bakemonogatari so that's an option for me.

Still, it's probably not likely to be the best option for most people (especially given what you've pointed out).

The blu-rays aren't exactly cheap for a 15 episode series either. I'm getting them for Christmas, so I'd prefer it if you didn't do them either :p

Buzz201 said:
The blu-rays aren't exactly cheap for a 15 episode series either. I'm getting them for Christmas, so I'd prefer it if you didn't do them either :p
Maybe next year then. I think I might have gotten them for Xmas too, would probably be two years ago now (my backlog is terrible).

Forgot that Viewster has Golgo 13, although I'm unsure how much there would be to say about each episode other than "Golgo totally shot that guy/missile/heel off that woman's shoe/stack of votes for Al Gore!"

Of the non-Netflix options mentioned so far, most sound fine to me, although I'd be particularly interested in Gankutsuou or Texhnolyze. I love Kaiji, but again, unsure how much discussion there is to be had on an episode to episode basis (also season 2 is draggy).

I'd suggest that the Ghibli films in chronological order could be a good idea at some point - they're easily available on DVD and Blu-Ray and I'd guess that people would already have some if not all of them.

I'd be up for watching the Ghibli films, I do have a couple of gaps in my collection though (maybe just Ponyo and Pom Poko at this point). It is possible that Only Yesterday will get a Blu-ray release some time next year so I kind of feel it might be worth waiting (though I'm still considering that import), especially since an Ocean Waves Blu-ray and When Marnie Was There could also be out next year (with any new films unlikely for at least a while). On the plus side it'd force me to watch Grave of the Fireflies, which I keep putting off because I suspect I'd feel terrible for some time afterwards.

It could be something to do as a separate simulwatch, would be difficult for some people to watch a whole film every day so I'd imagine it'd have to be weekly or something.

IncendiaryLemon said:
That could get pretty expensive for some. I only own 1 for example, I imagine so others are in similar situations.
Out of interest, which one do you have?

Smeelia said:
It could be something to do as a separate simulwatch, would be difficult for some people to watch a whole film every day so I'd imagine it'd have to be weekly or something.

Yeah, I'd say weekly. Could limit it to just Miyazaki or just Takahata, though I think that their films compliment each other pretty well. There's certainly a lot to discuss in all of their films.

Seeing you all watch Texhnolyze as you all slowly break down mentally after each episode would be hilarious to watch from the sidelines :p

I've seen that digibro vid too. I saw KLK for the first time earlier this year so I'll give that one a pass. I'll probably re-watch KLK sometime next year or the year after when AL release a standard edition.

I'd be up for another simulcast, but I'm limited to what I have in my DVD/BD collection and anything I can easily buy. To be honest I'm struggling to even think of anything to suggest, the only thing that occurs to me is A Certain Magical Index as it's a recent home video release (and I assume it's on a streaming site somewhere), but I'm guessing everyone who is interested will have already watched it. Other than that the most notable titles in my backlog are Kokoro Connect and Usagi Drop, but most people here have probably already watched these as well.

As for other suggestions that have popped up, watching the Ghibli films is a nice idea but I'd suggest waiting until Marnie is released so we can watch Ghibli's complete works. And I rewatched Madoka a few months back so I'll sit that out if that's what everyone decides on.

I think Eva's out, because it isn't legally streaming, and you're looking at £120 for the full series on DVD if you don't have it. Unless it's a Gundam (or perhaps various other BEEZ releases), which can still be acquired cheaply from France, I think anything which went OOP more than a few years ago is out.

What about either of the Fullmetal Alchemist series? (Edit: might have to be Brotherhood, which is on Netflix, as the first series isn't streaming, but can be picked up for $35 + shipping from FUNi)

Back