Revenge of the Simulwatch!

Professor Irony

CYBER FUNKER
As the summer season isn't looking too promising, I was wondering - how would people feel about trying to get another simulwatch on the go?

Ideally, I'd be looking to start around the 15th of next month, so if anyone's interested and they have a suggestion for what to watch, do fire away.

I didn't have anything specific in mind, but it would be nice to get something slightly off the beaten track, if possible. Irresponsible Captain Tylor and Michiko to Hatchin struck me as possibilities, but I'm sure we can consider most things that aren't too long or too difficult to get ahold of.

While I'm all in favour of simulwatches (anything which encourages a return to the days of actually discussing the anime we were watching, rather than listing it or typing up thoughts nobody reads or responds to) I do think a shorter 12-14 episode series should be chosen this time to encourage more people to take part and stick with it. I'm easy about what it is, if it's that kind of length you can count me in.

Whatever and whenever I would love to take part again. Ironically I'm going to be ridiculously busy up until and including the 14th of june, so the 15th sounds brilliant!

I think a shorter series would hopefully do quite good, although there's nothing that actually springs immediately to my mind either older or new. If we think newer, Eden Of The East perhaps? Older...Not really sure.

Although i'm a bit worried that when I thought "older" my mind went to Burn Up W and Dirty Pair Flash. I own anime older than the both of those and i'm worried that's what I came up with...

Just to throw some ideas out there, a quick glance at my shelves and the short series' that spring to mind which not everyone may have watched (but everyone probably should) and might be interesting to discuss include:

Haibane Renmei
Kino's Journey
Paranoia Agent (has that been done already?)
Serial Experiments Lain
Niea_7
Elfen Lied
Now and Then, Here and There

ayase said:
Just to throw some ideas out there, a quick glance at my shelves and the short series' that spring to mind which not everyone may have watched (but everyone probably should) and might be interesting to discuss include:

Haibane Renmei
Kino's Journey
Serial Experiments Lain
Niea_7
Elfen Lied
I was going to suggest Haibane or Lain, as those have a lot going on under the surface, but I'd be up for all of those except Elfen Lied (which I have no interest in watching). Captain Tylor would be great as well - more people need to watch that show.

Eden of the East is a good call for a more recent series.

Genkina Hito said:
Aaww, thanks for the plug Rui! :D

Hopefully it compensates for the fact I wrote your name incorrectly ;_;

I approve of the suggestions for classic series with UK releases and/or easily UK-accessible streams as it greatly increases the chance of me being able to chip in.

R

ayase said:

Haibane Renmei
Kino's Journey
Serial Experiments Lain
Niea_7
Elfen Lied
I'd be up for Paranoia Agent since I've had the boxset for years but not actually touched it.

Professor Irony said:
Irresponsible Captain Tylor and Michiko to Hatchin

I watched Tylor years ago, but the Italian DVDs will be out at the end of June, so I won't be able to partecipate if you choose this one.
Michiko to Hatchin has been released in Italy and it's on my to-buy-list from some time, so it would be the right time to get it.
(I don't like to download stuff)

ayase said:
Haibane Renmei
Kino's Journey
Serial Experiments Lain

I have these ones and would be glad to rewatch them.

ayase said:

First time I heard about this show, I'll check what it's about.

ayase said:
Elfen Lied

Don't think I'd like to rewatch these shows. Especially Now and Then, Here and There, it's just a copy of Future Boy Conan with full throttle on the extreme scenes.

Teo

I'm going to be the odd one out and say that I'd love to rewatch Elfen Lied.

Eden of the East is another good idea. What about Sound of the Sky (Soranowoto)?

ayase said:
Haibane Renmei
Kino's Journey
Serial Experiments Lain
Niea_7
Elfen Lied

The only ones I wouldn't watch from the above is Niea_7 and Elfen Lied. The rest gets a thumbs up - especially Now and Then, Here and There.

Haibane Renmei
Kino's Journey

These three sound good, as I haven't seen any of them but I really want to. Mind you, I think Haibane and Kino would be pretty difficult to find a UK release of anymore :(

Good suggestions all round, I think.

It probably is a better bet to go for a shorter series this time, even just to gauge interest - nothing to stop us doing a longer show later on if people are willing.

As far as choosing goes, it would be nice if we could reach a general agreement, but I don't mind putting it to a vote if needs be. To that end, I was thinking maybe we could give it another couple of days to see if there are any other suggestions and, if there isn't a clear winner, we can draw up a shortlist and vote on it. Hopefully that'll give people plenty of time to get hold of the show we're watching.

At the moment, I'd say it looks most like being between Paranoia Agent, Haibane Renmei and Kino's Journey, with Eden of the East and Lain as outside bets. As vash pointed out though, Haibane Renmei in particular is changing hands for silly money now, so we'd all have to be okay about acquiring it by other means.

Personally, I'm more drawn to Kino's Journey, but I don't want to force it through if it's not the most popular choice. I'd also add that, while the UK box set is now with the price gougers, the R1 box can be had for a very reasonable £15 from amazon at the moment.

If we're still suggesting stuff, I'll throw in Bartender as my suggestion.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AkRd8geKT_k?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AkRd8geKT_k?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Looks classy and could be fun to learn about various drinks.

As for what as been suggested already, my vote goes to Paranoia Agent or Serial Experiments Lain.

I've seen a few episodes of Bartender. It's a decent show and I wouldn't be against it, but I'd worry we might not have much to talk about with it. I think the episodes are all self-contained, usually following the setup of 'person has a problem, bartender finds a drink that relates to their situation, problem is solved'. There's probably scope to create some sort of epic drinking game around the series, for those into such things.

Also slightly disappointed that the main character was not voiced by Norio Wakamoto.

Not interested in any streaming shows. Of the stuff already mentioned I would pick Serial Experiments Lain (it's been a while since I last saw it).

Beyond what already has been mentioned - Ghost Hunt, Romeo x Juliet and Special A (three series I currently have on dvd but have yet to watch).

I think pretty much everything suggested so far is fantastic. As i'm going to be ridiculously busy for the next month if it comes down to a vote throw my hat into the ring for either Serial Experiments Lain or Kino's Journey. And if it comes down to those two then...Lain. I would second Bartender, as it's fantastic, but I re-watched it recently!

I shall try to keep up with the thread so that if I need to buy a series then I can, although I'm finding that now I want to rewatch most of what's being suggested anyway...

Back