Rate the last movie you watched out of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Raid

Oh my. What we have here is a modern martial arts classic in the same vein as Ong Bak and Drive. The setup may be simple - a lot of the backstory is told through references to unseen/off-screen characters - and the "I am his brother" reveal may be a twist too far, but the full-bore action and non-stop suspense are ample compensation for this.

The first gunfight for instance plays out more like a zombie horror instead of a straight action shootout. Then there are the numerous fights that are frenetic yet remain lucid regardless of the number of combatants.In a martial arts action movie, that's really all you could hope for.

So for the adrenaline rush it provides The Raid scores 10/10.

Much as I liked The Raid, I did think it peaked a little too soon. While the finale was undoubtedly still better than what many similar films manage in their entirity, I felt it was a slight step backwards from the wholesale carnage that preceeded it. That aside, I can scarcely contain my enthusiasm for the impending sequel.

Nineteen Eighty-Four.

The one that was made during the actual time the book is set.

Depressing. REALLY depressing.

Having only just read the book this year I visualised the book in an airier-cleaner fashion (in a pristine, white wash walls, sterilised appearance kind of way). The film's visuals were of a drab, cluttered, dark, dingy atmosphere of this society, and it was really, really, REALLY depressing to just view :(

Corners cut, but the ending I felt was (controversial opinion), better than the books. It wasn't that much of a change, but slight enough to allow a better feel to the conclusion.

6/10

'Cause it was so depressing :(

Today I've been watching the Sherlock Holmes movies made by Guy Richie.

8/10 for first
8\10 for game of shadows

Watched a couple of DVDs over Christmas.

Oblivion - 5/10

Great looking film, but the plot was pretty flimsy and seemed cobbled together from other sci-fi films.

The World's End - 7.5/10

Really enjoyed the first half of this, but once the main sci-fi plot kicked in, I felt like a lot of the good character work was lost in all the fights and action scenes. Still, a fun watch overall.

American Hustle: A highly entertaining movie about the trials and tribulations of a mid-level con team and a megalomaniacal FBI agent. 8/10

Stuff I've watched in the last few days:

Island Of Lost Souls (1932) - It's nice to see where the idea came from. "WHAT IS THE LAW' - 3 and a half out of 5
Dallas Buyers Club (2013) - First 3/4 of the film was incredible, last part let it down slightly but still good. I was blown away by Leto & Matthew McConaughey (best thing he ever did changing agents) - 4/5
Frozen (2013) - Good Disney fun. Felt the voice for Elsa was a bit too ..mature. Some good comedy - 3/5
Valhalla Rising (2009) - Much better than I had anticipated. I was transfixed the entire time, maybe a bit too slow for some but I enjoyed the pacing, plus it has Mads - 4/5
The Doll Master (2004) - First death was way creepy, not so much after that. Good idea behind the story but it didn't meet the potential. Saw the twist coming from a mile away too - 2 and a half out of 5
Justice League War (2014) - Great fun! Some top comedy. Almost died when Green Lantern started getting pummeled, dat animation ..ha. - 3 and a half out of 5.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

An absolutely solid film - definitely the best action in the Marvel Cinematic Universe so far. It was actually quite brutal in some places - surprised it was given a 12. As well as great action, it had a lot of brains and heart. It did have its short falls though, like I wish more time was actually dedicated to The Winter Soldier and less on Hydra. The Marvel Cinematic Universe will not be the same again and Whedon has one hell of a challenge with Age of Ultron.

I fecking screamed internally when Stephen Strange was name dropped though!

Stupid idiots still leaving the cinema during the credits though...WHEN WILL THEY LEARN?!

8/10

Last edited by a moderator:
The Grand Budapest Hotel

An even more aggressively whimsical offering from Wes Anderson than usual, but definitely one of his stronger films. It certainly stretches the joke too far on occasion, but it's a giddy and absorbing farce, enlivened by wonderful cinematography and a tremendous turn from Ralph Fiennes as the foul-mouthed concierge.

Oldboy - The Spike Lee Version

So I have finally witnessed the hollywood take on the classic Korean adaptation of the Japanese manga Oldboy, but did it live up to the cult classic? Well the simple answer is no unfortunately.

There were a lot of alterations in Spike Lee's edition to the story, so from here onwards I will be spoiling both versions of the story so be warned:
- The prologue in Lee's take was longer and didn't have much impact in comparison to the Korean take, I felt the meeting was rather pointless and they should have skipped to 'drunk mode' after the phone conversation.
- The imprisonment was well done (though the swanking behind the pillow was rather random) but I felt the whole major events thing really shouldn't be there.
- I preferred the Korean version over the Lee version when it comes to the suitcase scene since I rather enjoyed watching the protagonist having a conversation with the suicide guy on the rooftop. The first fight scene in Lee's take was very good, let's his rage out onto the idiots near him.
- The infamous octopus scene which has been reduced to a mere reference to the original take, I guess it's too extreme for american audiences because they don't want Josh to be raped by tentacles.
- The hammer fight was awesome, as good as the Korean take.
- The casting was average, Josh Brolin and Sharlto Copley did an okay job for the main roles and Samuel Jackson was a nice addition to the movie. The rest were meh.
- The twist is still the same but the reasoning behind Adrian's sisters death was stupid. The Korean version was much better than that.
- The ending result however was actually surprising and interesting. Rather than having his tongue taken off and coincidently living with his daughter in the Korean version, the Lee version just skips to the villain's suicide and he goes back to the room he was imprisoned in while giving his daughter (via postage) and the prisoner money from the reward. I've give Lee a positive remark on that.

Final Verdict
Lee's attempt on the film wasn't needed but it was a nice alternate take on the Korean classic. Not recommended to watch unless you've seen the original film though, since it's the more definitive version overall.

+ Nice alternative take on the ending
+ Josh & Sharlto had okay acting
+ Fighting scenes were fun to watch
+ Hammer scene, flawless.
- The tone wasn't as great as the original (i.e. the soundtrack in Korean version was a masterpiece)
- The twist had a terrible background
- No octopus eating
- No rooftop scene (if you've seen the Korean version, you'll know it was entertaining to watch)
- Pacing felt too quick in certain parts (See EDIT for an interesting info)
- Certain plot changes were not great

2.5/5

EDIT:
Found out that the current version released theatrically and on home release was not well received by Spike Lee and Josh Brolin, apparently the film was originally 140 minutes (2 hours 20 minutes) and has been chopped down to 105 minutes (1 hour 45 minutes). If they ever release a director's cut I am willing to re-buy that version and see whether the film is better or worse that it currently was.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

My reaction to the first movie was mixed, so I went into this movie with low expectations and bloody hell, was I surprised. The film definitely lives up to its title - it was amazing. Max and Harry were both brilliant villains; I really like how the main villains in this series so far have all been people who are pushed to the brink in one way another and are made to make choices that will affect them forever (although can we forget about The Rhino? That was so hammy it just isn't true).

I was really irritated by how during the scene where Peter Parker thinks he saved Gwen in the clock-tower and inspects her, only to find out that she hit her head on the floor and died some people in the audience were talking to each other in some foreign language. I mean, in general, you shut up when in the cinema, but during THAT scene?!

My only real complaints where The Rhino as a whole, the over-use of the Matrix-style "slow everything down" (first few times it was cool, but then it got old) and do we really need another film ending with Peter listening to a poignant, voice-recorded speech of someone close to him who died? Who'll do it in ASM3 I wonder?

Also, best soundtrack I have ever heard in a Hollywood movie.

8/10

I agree with the Rhino issue, he's basically there to promote the upcoming sequels involving the Sinister Six (and that guy in the end of both films seems to be behind it all).

I was slightly spoiled by the rumours regarding
Gwen Stacy and how people suspected she'll die during a bridge scene (like in one of the comics [since everyone dies and comes back like out of nowhere]) but in the end that rumour was true but in a different location so I was surprised and amused at the same time

That soundtrack though, the dubstep scenes were pretty awesome.

I too, would give it an 4/5 (8/10).

NormanicGrav said:
I agree with the Rhino issue, he's basically there to promote the upcoming sequels involving the Sinister Six (and that guy in the end of both films seems to be behind it all).

I was slightly spoiled by the rumours regarding
Gwen Stacy and how people suspected she'll die during a bridge scene (like in one of the comics [since everyone dies and comes back like out of nowhere]) but in the end that rumour was true but in a different location so I was surprised and amused at the same time

That soundtrack though, the dubstep scenes were pretty awesome.

I too, would give it an 4/5 (8/10).

The problem with
the Gwen Stacy thing was that Sony were so unsubtle with their marketing that anyone with even a bit of knowledge about the comics saw it coming from a mile away. Things like some posters mirroring the cover of the issue where she died, her wearing the same clothes during the issue she died and such like that. Even in the movie, her graduation speech felt too poignant and the signs were there from the very beginning. That said though, I was really impressed with the way the scene was executed - Garfield and Stone being a couple in real life probably helped a lot.

I felt that The Rhino served as a good frame for the story, with being in the beginning to sort of show us what Spider-Man is doing before things get serious, then appearing at the end as motivation for him to return as Spider-Man, but his suit looks so awkward and the actor was just...ridiculously bad. Like he should have been in a pantomime.

(Also, Aunt May totally knows that Peter is Spider-Man. The signs were subtle, but they were so there. Peter's also crap at hiding things).

Iv watched the film frozen and I was going to write it in the ratings thread but I forgot that it's not a anime but I really want to give my opinions and views on this.

Ok il say that the music is great I love the music and I like the setting and scenario but there's a lot of things wrong with this film

1 the queen is cursed with the power of ice at birth and isn't explained how or why she has it or who casted it on her, it be awesome if the spell was a curse of a evil troll that her family sealed away years and years and years ago and each generation will suffer at this curse as long as the troll is sealed away.

2 when they queen runs away from the castle her sister goes after her a few minutes later on horse, the queen has made it to the top of the mountain while her sister who was on horse hasn't caught up with her......Is she a Olympic golden sprinter or something in a short time or what?

3 the villain now this took me by surprise on who the villain was and it was the and really he was just a asshole who wanted to be take everything as his own, to be honest I didn't like how this went cause I think it should of went how I described it how it should of been and the two men had to beat this evil troll before Anna turned in to ice and the queens powers was getting more out of control and that should of what happened cause the villain is pretty weak

4 it was rushed

5 the modern slang

It could of been better but what can you do

The Raid 2: If you love well choreographed fight scenes then this movie will blow your mind. An excellent sequel and a brilliant movie in it's onw right. My one nitpick is that the cast was a little bloated. 9/10

Godzilla (IMAX 3D)

Holy mother of god this was spectacular.

I'll keep this simple and short, go and watch this film.

But here's a list of what I liked:
+ Interesting story and characters, high props to Bryan Cranston and Ken Watanabe
+ The music is epic
+ There's some references to the classic Godzilla films
+ The battle scenes were amazing to watch
+ My jaw dropped when this happened: HIS ATOMIC BREATH OF FIRE RETURNS
+ Very clever how they made everyone think Bryan Cranston is going to be part of the lead role in this film
+ Also very clever that what was happening in the trailers was in fact M.U.T.O. and not Godzilla
+ A lot of scenes in the trailers are actually different or removed in the final version
+ The epic scream is just epic
+ The ending is one of the best things to come out of the franchise, a great tribute for the king of monsters (unlike the first remake...).
+/- Godzilla has short screen time in contrast to the others but this does add some intense moments for the viewers when the battle occurs

4/5

I really want to see Godzilla hnnnnngh.

I have a feeling I'll have to also "drag" someone to see X-Men Days Of Future Past with me. It's shocking enough that I'd need to drag someone as it looks BRILLIANT!!!! lol.

X-Men: Days of Future Past

By far the best X-Men film since X2 (I liked The Wolverine but it had some flaws). Xavier standing up in the trailers are explained but it doesn't explain how old Xavier came back to life from X3: Last Stand. The film does bring a new timeline where the events of X-Men, X2, X3: The Last Stand, X-Men: Origins Wolverine & The Wolverine do not occur any more; thus brings back famous heroes like Jean Grey and Cyclops. Basically the X-Men & X2 director came back and fixed things.

Also, stay for the post-credits scene as it links to X-Men: Apocalypse arriving in May 27 2016.

4/5

I thought Godzilla was dire. An entertaining mindless "popcorn movie" with friends, sure, I don't regret seeing it... but otherwise it was pretty bad

Ken Watanabe just stood around dramatically staring at stuff in the distance with a constant ": o" expression on his face while not contributing anything substancial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back