Rate the last movie you watched out of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fast & Furious 6

6/10

Some decent action, but a total dearth in terms of things like characters. I seriously have no idea what the name of anyone is besides Vin Diesel/Dwayne Johnson's characters (speaking of, Johnson oozes charisma whereas Diesel is a bloody black hole!)

The attempted "humorous" lines are so ludicrously awful and fall completely flat. They're honestly things that not even a small child would consider "comedy".

Despite only having ever seen the previous film and not knowing/caring about any of the characters I must admit that I thought the opening credits, a montage of the previous films, were extremely well done.

And it gives a decent set up for the next one (with an excellent cast addition) whilst apparently fixing a previous plot hole.

The Children Who Chase Lost Voices (2011)
8/10

This is coming a bit late but in any case, I was really engaged by this film. This was somewhat surprising as I do tend to go into anime films expecting not to like them as so many have mediocre writing at best. This film definitely feels like a progression for Shinkai in terms of storytelling. Five Centimetres was powerful emotionally, but it had a pretty basic “slice of life” plot. The Place Promised had a more complicated plot but it was too bizarre to actually be engaging. This had a very well written and original fantasy plot, good pacing and it dealt with psychological/spiritual themes in a mature manner. I think the first half hour could have been stronger in terms of developing certain relationships but it was still pretty decent. Like I said, the pacing was handled well and it never felt like the writers were resorting to “plot filler” due to lack of ideas. One of my major problems with anime in general is when inessential tangents are added to the plot in order to fill up time. There were a lot of opportunities for them to do this but they avoided them. The plot never got bogged down in a particular aspect unnecessarily.

The Hangover III

2/10

So they realised the last one wasn't funny and didn't even bother this time, instead trying to make it into some half-arsed action film. If they had just left the first film alone I would be confident in calling it a modern comedy classic (and it still is very funny and re-watchable) but they just took everything about that original unique concept and drove it into the ground. They tried to catch lightning in a bottle a 2nd and 3rd time and just fell flat on their faces. I think the most telling thing about this trilogy has been how the Alan character has been handled. In the first one he's a guy with some mental disabilities and is terribly socially awkward, who is just doing his best to try to fit in with a group, to be liked. He didn't understand that the things he done were inappropriate or just plain wrong because he had issues and hadn't even really learned the proper boundaries. Since that first film though, he was turned into just a horrible, horrible person who does terrible things to people and is just generally down right mean. That was probably the thing that annoyed me most about the 2nd film, how they turned this sweet idiot into a vile man who hurt others, there are key differences in how each of those personalities plays in terms of creating funny moments and garnering laughs from an audience. The fact is you can only do the latter so much before it just stops being funny and starts being hurtful.

There are other ways I personally think that they could have done sequels, if it was necessary, and kept the films to a decent standard. But in all honesty the sequels should never have happened and it is a rare instance in which I am glad to see a film failing so badly at the box office. No doubt it'll still make a hefty profit but nowhere near the previous two and hopefully enough to teach the studios a lesson in sequels.

Well unfortauntely the last movie watched ended up being Scooby Doo which was on Channel 5 last night haha.

Cant believe I was like 14 when it came out! Either way, it's still an enjoyable watch and was nice to switch off for a while :)

Maybe a 7/10?

The Purge

4/10

A novel idea, but not much beyond that. Everything that happens is largely predictable and there is some shocking attempts at that thing called acting. Perhaps the biggest crime that this film has committed (all puns intended) is that there are people who will think that the concept is a great idea that should be applied in real life.

Byzantium

8/10

Chilling at times, has a real good, old fashioned gothic tale sense about it. I personally could've done without a happy ending though.

Man of Steel

5/10

A really big let down for me.

Despite it being just shy of 2 and a half hours the plot feels very rushed and disjointed. There's little in the way of buildup and character moments and, because of the non-linear narrative early on, the ones we do get a very brief and feel fragmented. It felt at times like I was watching a trailer rather than a complete film.

I think there was an expectation that this was going to be Superman's Batman Begins. But whereas that film spent a good while building up the character of Bruce Wayne and taking its time before putting the hero in the suit this one felt like it couldn't wait to get to that moment. It just wanted to zip past all that and get to a big bare knuckle brawl, and to an extent I can understand that. There hasn't really been a Superman that got to show off his physical abilities and go toe to toe with some great alien foe. So perhaps it was natural that people felt a need to see it and the need to show us it? To me though, it felt like it was missing heart, missing the point.

I wasn't sure on some of the changes to the mythos: Kryptonians are all artificially bred now and have designated roles in life? but I suppose it was an attempt to play up the themes of choice/destiny. Didn't like Lois discovering everyhting straight off the bat and hunting down Clark so easy; if she can do it then won't everyone else be able to? And their whole relationship felt, again, so rushed. They also never once mentioned Smallville or Metropolis by name (there's a Smallville sign on a water tower at one point). That really bugged me, it meant the film had no real sense of a location/setting, nowhere solely identifiable with the characters, Metropolis just seemed like New York.

What I did like were the little nods to things (the ones I picked up anyway) like Pete Ross, having Lana Lang briefly there (even if I detested her in Smallville) and, best of all, a cameo from Alessandro Juliani who played Emil Hamilton in Smallville (and also provided the soothing tones of L in the Death Note dub).

On a whole the film hasn't made me change my mind of Snyder as a director at all. Yeah, he's better here when he's got someone looking over his shoulder, but I still wouldn't say he's any great shake, though he is a decent at CGI fights, I'll give credit there.

So this didn't really live up to my expectations, it made moeny before it was even officially released so the sequel (and possible Justice League film) is a no brainer. I have hope that the sequel would be better and would probably like to see it passed onto someone else to direct, even write (at least someone else to help Goyer out, he works better with others).

Last edited by a moderator:
World War Z

7/10

I thought that this was going to be terrible. I mean, all the signs pointed to it: over budget, multiple re-shoots, last minute script re-draft, etc. But somehow they've actually ended up with a very good, very tense film that looks like it's going to just be the beginning of something.

I liked seeing George Square in the movie, kinda makes it a bit special when you see your own city in a film. I thought the tension was fantastic throughout, there's a real sense of danger all the time. It was great that they actually use the word "zombie" throughout...but I have my own personal quibbles with their "zombies". They're not zombies. Zombies don't run. The hospital scenes later in the film were much more in line with my opinion and theory on zombies; nice and slow (although they do end up running in this), careful movements required to avoid them. There's also some problems with the PG-13 rating which meant that practically zero blood is shown. Now, this isn't just my personal opinion that a bit of gore goes a long way (it does, but isn't necessary when done right), but the decision not to show any gore whatsoever actually hurt this film from a story telling/plot perspective. In the hospital scene Brad Pitt at one point kills a zombie, but gets his crowbar stuck in it as another approaches, but you don't actually see the crowbar stuck in the zombie. All you have is Pitt bent forward and just kinda struggling with the bottom of the screen, and he's not even struggling that much. It would've been so much easier to show the crowbar stuck in the zombie so the audience can tell exactly why he's in danger. Similarly earlier in the film they could have at least shown the soldier's hand hit the ground as it was chopped off if they didn't want to show a bloody stump.

The ending is quite flat, but it leaves it open for the sequel(s) (I believe they want a trilogy). If the film hadn't done well enough to garner a sequel then this would've been a terrible ending.

The single saddest moment in this film had to be when I recognised Matthew Fox :(

The poor man was playing a background soldier who appears for all of 20 seconds, has one line and you barely even see his face. I was actually embarrassed for him to recognise it was him. Oh, how the mighty have fallen, "Jack".

Despicable Me 2! 10/10

Watched it back on Saturday (I was the oldest person there who wasnt a parent tee hee) and it was just wonderful. I was happy all the way through and it had a fair few laughs from me, mainly from the Minions :D
I can't recommend it enough, even if you haven't seen the first. I was smiling so much afterwards, I went and purchased two Minions myself and called them Kevin and Dave. They're my babies :) :p

Gangster Squad - 5/10

If you ever wanted to watch a watered down family friendly gangster flick here it is. I love 90% of the actors involved but this was just bland.

It was an enjoyable film but so damn predicatable it was almost embarrasing. You can call everything almost from the start, this is no Untouchables.

If you've got nothing else to do and a love for the LA crime scene of the day then give it a watch but if you're a hardcore gangter film fan then this will leave you cringing.

Despicable Me 2
To be honest, this movie felt really rushed and the character progression was far too soon to feel natural. Not bad, but not great either.
5/10

The Wolverine

7/10

Hmm, I didn't see this being anywhere near as good.

Origins was atrocious, an absolute affront to all my sensibilities, but this was good. Yes, it deviates largely from the Claremont/Miller classic, but I think it was right in doing so ultimately, and carves out its own story.

I think the biggest plus point it got right off the bat was setting it after X-Men 3. The scenes with Jean Grey helped add a real weight to the story and it was great having that connection, but not forcing them in for the sake of it like the prequel did. I'll complain and say I think the we could've spent a little bit more time on the villains and less on Logan/Mariko.

If anyone goes to see this then make sure you stick around for the stinger not long after the credits start rolling. It is possibility my favourite of all time, I seriously starting geeking out inside watching it Magneto! Xavier! Trask!. Got me even more super hyped for Days of Future Past. I really can't wait to see how that will unfold and the movie Xverse connects and changes things. Disney could have a real fight on their hands from Fox (who'd have ever thought Fox was capable of such competency?) in terms of interlocking stories.

Black Dynamite

It took some geting into but by the point we were at kung fu treachery I couldn't stop smiling.

Might need to sedate my explosive tastes with the [Adult Swim] cartoon now.

8/10

ConanThe3rd said:
Black Dynamite

It took some geting into but by the point we were at kung fu treachery I couldn't stop smiling.

8/10

One of the best and funniest films of the last few years, it's bloody brilliant! My favourite part is "Hah! I threw that **** before I walked in the room!" Simply glorious.

The animated series is equally as good and has extra Cream Corn and Bullhorn to boot. Can't wait for when the 2nd season eventually is announced or even a DVD release of the first.

Fast and Furious 6

Decided to watch it a while back with a friend in the cinema. Have only seen the first two.
No idea what the story was, still had good action though.
7/10

20thCenturyBoy said:
ConanThe3rd said:
Black Dynamite

8/10

One of the best and funniest films of the last few years, it's bloody brilliant! My favourite part is "Hah! I threw that **** before I walked in the room!" Simply glorious.

The animated series is equally as good and has extra Cream Corn and Bullhorn to boot. Can't wait for when the 2nd season eventually is announced or even a DVD release of the first.
The first half about the drug war was kinda slow going (and sort of just happened, the bit with the donut assassin was funny though) but once the drug dealer got thrown off the cliff it just sort of escalated in hilarity up until the Fist fight with Nixon.

Also, I'm going to have to trawl the internet to find a version of the "DY-NO-MYTE!, DY-NO-MYTE!" call as my ringtone.

Incidentally, I highly recommend not paying attention to the spoilers, part of the fun is just seeing where everything goes.

Oz the great and Powerful

Ya know. Thank goodness this movie is less about Oz being a right f'bend (though he certainly is one. A twit in the mould of Scott Pilgrim with even less legitimacy to his actions) and more about the play of power between the three witches with Oz playing less main character ala Tenchi and more support/target to the tune of Tuxedo Mask.

Things got really good once Theodora lost her heart and Sam Raimei got to play his love letter to the Wicked Witch and to everything Wizard of Oz. Really the only bone in my craw is them not explaining The Ruby Slippers but as the saying goes; 2 outta 3 ain't bad.

Eh, it's all good;

Aye

ConanThe3rd said:
Really the only bone in my craw is them not explaining The Ruby Slippers

They weren't actually legally allowed to have that in the film as it was a construct of the 1939 MGM film and not part of the original books. The same reason why they couldn't have a spiral for the yellow brick road and the Wicked witch had to be a different shade of green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back