Rate the last movie you watched out of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumb and Dumber. It was on ITV2. I NEVER get bored of this film! Cannot wait for Dumb and Dumber To in November!!!!!!!!!

I went to see Godzilla 2/5 at most.

It felt too long. It really didn't need to be 123 minutes long.
It didn't feature anywhere near enough Godzilla!
I might as well of seen it in 2D as I was unimpressed with the 3D.
I felt they made Godzilla look more fat than stocky, they should of gone taller, if they wanted to bulk up.
Blood in the fights would of been nice.

But the main thing I REALLY didn't like was the way they kept cutting away from the Godzilla fights to people, I didn't pay to go and watch a film of people running away! I wanted giant monsters!

Hell of the Living Dead (1980)

Took a notion to watch this tale of a commando team's jungle misadventure after seeing the trailer, which made it look like such a shamless rip-off of Romero's Dawn of the Dead (right down to the Goblin music), that I actually wondered if it might be a contemporary pastiche, masquerading as a period film.

It's definitely not a good movie, being often incoherent, badly paced and stuffed with laughably obvious stock footage, but it has a certain ramshackle charm beyond its tacky grue, and amusing turns from both Franco Garofalo and Gabriel Renom as a pair of swivel-eyed loons, somehow employed as soldiers.

If you're interested in older zombie pictures, I'd suggest at least watching the trailer, which manages to pack in more or less all the highlights.

I watched Drop Dead Fred on the day the news came out about Rik Mayall passing away. I'm going to miss him a lot. That film is still brilliant :)

-Danielle- said:
I watched Drop Dead Fred on the day the news came out about Rik Mayall passing away. I'm going to miss him a lot. That film is still brilliant :)
If you have the time, check out the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. It's hilarious how humourless and uptight all the American "Top Critics" are about Drop Dead Fred. I'd love to see what they think of Bottom.

---

Monster High Double Feature: Friday Night Frights / Why Do Ghouls Fall in Love? - Freaky fab, 10/10

ayase said:
Monster High Double Feature: Friday Night Frights / Why Do Ghouls Fall in Love? - Freaky fab, 10/10
In desperation I turned to Sr. Google to see what this was... and I still don't know.

ilmaestro said:
ayase said:
In desperation I turned to Sr. Google to see what this was... and I still don't know.
But it's freaky chic and fly, ilmaestro. They're budget CGI films designed to sell dolls. They're pretty terrible. But I have this habit of occasionally finding some things aimed at kids charming and refusing to criticise them in any way because it would be like punching Yotsuba in the face. I can roll my eyes at most "cute girls doing cute things" anime but... I can't say anything cruel about Draculaura. I just can't. If that makes me hypocrite then so be it.

Monster High: 13 Wishes - Clawsome, 10/10

Last edited by a moderator:
Predator II (1990)

Decided to rewatch this urban-set alien-hunting sequel after listening to a podcast about it recently. Once you accept that fact that it can't hold a candle to its much loved forerunner, I think it's actually quite a solid piece of schlock sci-fi, with a good turn from Danny Glover in the lead role. It does wilt somewhat during its finale, but I still feel this is a more interesting and amibitious piece than the slicker, but utterly forgettable Predators.

Strangely, what interests me most is the setting, which seems to be trying to channel the spirit of the original Robocop in the blackly comic excesses of its near future. It doesn't do it as successfully, but there are still some nicely observed details, like having all the characters sweat profusely from the heat brought on by global warming, or the constant omnipresence of ghoulish tv news crews at every crime scene.

Le Cercle Rouge (1970)

Freshly paroled thief Alain Delon joins forces with an escaped con and an alcoholic ex-cop to rob a high-class Parisian jeweller's, in new-wave godfather Jean-Pierre Melville's penultimate film.

My only previous experience with Melville is with his earlier Le Samouraï (the story of a meticulous hitman, inspiration for John Woo's "The Killer"), and certainly the same style is very much in evidence here; sparse, minimal dialogue and obsessive concentration on the characters' methodical approach to their task. While Le Samouraï is the more celebrated film, however, I actually preferred this one. Le Cercle Rouge feels a little more long winded, but I found the subtly shifting balance of power and trust between the central characters here more compelling than Delon's lonely struggle to survive in its predecessor.

Melville was arguably never part of the new-wave movement he helped father, but if you like the work of Godard and Truffaut, this is definitely a film to look out for.

I was trying to give you some genuine a'claws, but now you've revealed you were cheating with the monster puns! Ka!

I don't actually get how Ka means "bull" by the way :s and why is "Grinds my gears" listed? lol

How to train your Dragon 2, I'd give it a solid 7 maybe 7.5 not as good as the original but very good none the less and a pleasure to watch with my son at the cinema.

Attack the Block

Caught this on telly for the first time earlier this week - can't believe I'd never seen it before. It was bloody hilarious though, especially as someone who grew up in South London where it's set. Just a perfect blend of all the tropes it mixes together, from sci-fi spoof to 'youth' comedy. They even managed to get a Naruto mention in, ha!

Now I know why I bought that katana at Comic Con too - will come in handy if there's ever an alien invasion.

Edge of Tom Cruise (2014)

The 'live a day over and over' repeating structure has cropped up in a few different things lately, but applied to an 'earth vs. the bugs' style actioner, it actually still feels quite fresh. The film is at its best in the first half, where Cruise's cowardly, bewildered officer tries to feel his way through an apparently unwinnable beach landing, meeting with a darkly comic array of unfortunate deaths while trying to survive. Towards the end, however, things gradually become more conventional, as a combination of experience and training from Emily Blunt's veteran commando finally form him into a capable soldier.

It's not as clever as the likes of Source Code, but really, it isn't trying to be, and as a slice of shoot-em-up entertainment, Edge of Tomorrow is an entirely agreeable way to spend a couple of hours.

Source Code has its fair share of problems too, but it's quite a decent time-travel thriller overall. Watch out for a great cameo by Dr. Becke- er, Scott Bakula.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back