Rate the last movie you watched out of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edge of Tomorrow was better than I expected - not quite as good as the original light novel - but still, it did a very decent job of picking out the key elements and turning them into a Hollywood romp.

Source Code is brilliant - I know a lot of people aren't too keen on it - but for my money it stands up as one of the better sci-fi flicks to come out over the past few years. Just the right balance of being mainstream and incorporating some really clever ideas.

Guardians of the Galaxy

When I first saw the trailer for this movie, I had a feeling that it was either going to be amazing or terrible. In the last few days, people who had attended press and early screenings were filling social media with as much praise as they could without breaching their NDAs, which made me feel more optimistic about the movie.

Ultimately it was neither amazing or terrible - it's sat awkwardly in the middle. The film did have some big pluses, like Rocket Raccoon (who really steals the spotlight in every scene he's in) and some wonderful visuals. The world of Xandar looked incredible - both futuristic and yet realistic. It's also clear which scenes were filmed in London, which create a nice familiar feeling despite it canonically being a place we've obviously never visited before. The make-up on Nebula was also fantastic...although Ronan's was not as great.
The film is without a doubt the funniest in the Marvel Cinematic Universe so far but sadly, aside from jokes there isn't much to the script. Gamora has to be the most poorly written woman in the Marvel Cinematic Universe so far, while Ronan is pretty much on par with Thor: The Dark World's Malekith (they're almost the exact same character to be honest). Drax's character is very one dimensional and pretty much every joke revolving around him relies on the same old gimmick. I can't fault Dave Bautista's performance of Drax though as to be honest, he was given very little to work with. I wasn't a fan of Josh Brolin's (admittedly brief) performance as Thanos though; I feel that his voice wasn't really "powerful" enough for a figure like the Mad Titan.

I think that the Guardians came together way too quickly (if I remember, within the first twenty minutes) and without going into details, the ending was an absolutely ridiculous ass-pull. The middle section of the film though, is home to some pleasant character interactions. One of my favourite scenes in the whole movie managed to blend comedy and sentimentality together rather nicely.

I also have to question the use of the word "a-holes" instead of "assholes" when the likes of "****" and "whore" appear in the script on multiple occasions. Combined with that and a joke about semen, I find hard to recommend this movie as a summer blockbuster for the whole family (and it's a shame that those were really the only reasons). Although admittedly, the semen joke is one of those that would easily go over a child's head.

Personally, I would be fully behind a future movie that focused only on Rocket Raccoon and Groot as really, it was the rest of the cast that brought this movie down.

Luke (my ten year old brother) was much more enthusiastic and loved the movie, but I personally feel that it deserves a 6/10.

Here is my updated current personal ranking of the Marvel Cinematic Universe films (best to worst):
1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2. Iron Man 3
3. Captain America: The First Avenger
4. The Avengers
5. Iron Man
6. Iron Man 2
7. Guardians of the Galaxy
8. Thor: The Dark World
9. The Incredible Hulk
10. Thor

The IMAX screen was as big as always. It was Luke's first time seeing a movie at an IMAX, so his first reaction when walking into the screen was to shout "Jesus Christ!" xD. There was one time when some fire was flickering in one scene and I genuinely thought it was something like someone taking a piss in one of the rows behind me xD.

As a note, Luke said he would give it an 8/10.

Joshawott said:
It was Luke's first time seeing a movie at an IMAX, so his first reaction when walking into the screen was to shout "Jesus Christ!" xD
I had that same reaction when I entered IMAX. I always forget how big the screen is when I go into the room.

James Gunn has confirmed to already be working on a sequel to Guardians of the Galaxy. Personally, I felt that the film deliberately left Rocket and Groot a lot more room than it did with the other Guardians, so I'd prefer to see a prequel focusing entirely on them.

Branded to Kill (1967)

A darkly absurd new-wave crime thriller from Seijun Suzuki, this was considerably more out there than I'd expected, almost predicting David Lynch's Blue Velvet in its surreal humour and heavily sexualised imagery. My only other (live-action) experience with Suzuki to date is the previous year's Tokyo Drifter: of the two, I feel Branded to Kill is the better film, being more taught and ambitious. There was, however, a certain pop-art joie de vivre to Tokyo Drifter that, while probably inappropriate this time, I did greatly miss.

Zombie Flesh Eaters 2 aka Zombi 3 (1988)

A lively action/horror b-picture that sees off-duty GIs and terrified holidaymakers try to survive the fallout from a bacterial mishap at a US research station in the Phillipines, in a name-only follow-up to Lucio Fulci's cult classic. Despite Fulci himself having directed at least half of the film, this actually feels more like a straight sequel to the shambolic Hell of the Living Dead, sharing that film's screenwriter, but sadly carrying over very little of the atmosphere or general finesse from the original Flesh Eaters. Nevertheless, it's a pacy, endearingly shoddy romp with some surprisingly good stunt work in the set-pieces and a few nice ideas that seem to have been conspicously pinched by later, more critically beloved productions.

The Lego Movie (2014)

Far more genuinely fun and entertaining than any film based on a toy construction system has any logical right to be. An absolute joy from start to finish.

Guardians of the Galaxy - 9/10

The hype train was just too tempting not to jump on board. Never really a big Marvel reader so I didn't have a clue what I was getting into here, this was my introduction to the universe. I'm perfectly aware a lot of it was dumb fun, but the difference here was the wonderful and likeable cast of characters. I found it to be one of those rarest of films that managed to keep a smile on my face from beginning to end - I don't think I've laughed out loud at a film so much since Hot Fuzz. Production values were obviously massive yet it didn't feel the need to constantly batter the audience over the head with flashy CGI, preferring to create greater impact with several stand-out scenes (as well as songs) which did indeed leave me in awe of both the vision and the technical capabilities of the staff.

The only negatives to my mind are the couple of rather cheesy romantic scenes (which sorta made Gamora, tough and capable as she was, seem a bit of a token love interest rather than a character in her own right - Hopefully she'll have time to shine in the inevitable sequels) the shots obviously only there to show off the 3D (but that didn't stop me loving Dredd so I won't hold that against it too hard) and
Ronan's cringe worthy "Behold, your Guardians of the Galaxy!" line. Was that really necessary? Sometimes I can't understand what editor allows things like that make the final cut.

In summary I thought Guardians managed to fill a fun, character driven space fantasy niche which I can't recall being done well on the big screen for a long time. Interestingly we were just talking about Star Was: The Clone Wars over in the TV thread - That's probably the only thing I can think of that compares in recent years.

I never really got what people saw in Karen Gillan until she shaved her head and got painted blue; Amazing what that can do for someone in my estimation. Why isn't this a fashion trend yet? Pretty much everything else has been.

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

Not quite sure why I'd built up such a grudge against seeing this, but I'm glad I did go in the end. It struck me as a bit too self-consciously clever at times, but for the most part, it was a thoroughly enjoyable, lightweight adventure.

Would totally agree about this though:
ayase said:
Ronan's cringe worthy "Behold, your Guardians of the Galaxy!" line.

It was a such a resounding clanger that I can only assume it must have been intentional...

Last edited by a moderator:
Especially as Ronan's goal wasn't to destroy the galaxy - he only cared about Xandar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last film I watched was Hook. I love this film and always will. I got teary eyed when Robin said at the end, "to live, would be an awfully big adventure". Haven't seen a film since then (which was last week), weird.

ayase said:
Guardians of the Galaxy - 9/10

Never really a big Marvel reader so I didn't have a clue what I was getting into here
The only background info that you needed to know was that in addition to anything else, Rocket has all the abilities of a regular Earth raccoon at his disposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back