Rate the last movie you watched out of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched Frozen for the first time as well today, though I had a very different reaction! I absolutely enjoyed it and I really bought the central Anna/Elsa relationship. Felt like a worthy addition to the Disney canon for me.

Disney Animation are on an excellent run at the moment. Can't wait for Big Hero 6.

Oh, right this is the rate out of 10 thread. Errr, I normally use a 5 star system for movies and this was a solid **** for me, so I guess 8/10?

I may have bought the soundtrack immediately afterwards. It was only 99p...

Last edited by a moderator:
Room 237 (2012)

A documentary piece delving into various theories on and interpretations of Stanley Kubrick's film The Shining, I thought this was an amusing watch, even without being a huge fan of the movie in question. The contributors' ideas range from the plausible (Kubrick was bored enough to deliberatly mess with his audience) to the outrageous (the film is an elaborate confession of his involvement in faking the moon landing footage), but what comes through most of all is the enduring appeal of Kubrick's work and his unquestionable talent as a director.

John Wick

Pure distilled essence of action movie. That's what we have here. It's a revenge tale dressed up as an urban western. It's efficiency brought to 2.35:1 widescreen life. Characters talk only when they must; mostly a pause, or even a shift of a gaze, tells the viewers what they need to know. Take the hotel concierge for instance, who so doing brilliantly makes it clear that while he and his establishment are at one's beck and call, not adhering to the rules will see the offender permanently dealt with.

But it's the action that is the drawcard here, and it does not disappoint. Action is fluid and frantic without looking like it's from a music video. Above all else, the action is satisfying, easily making my all-time action top five.

9/10

Annabelle (2014)

I love horror movies but hate 90% of the ones I watch. I love the idea of a good horror film but most disappoint. This one disappointed more than most! I quite enjoyed The Conjuring, to which this is a prequel, but Annabelle bored me to tears. It was definately going for that classic 70s horror film vibe but it didn't have the atmosphere or the plot to make up for the lack of scares. My biggest problem with the film was the fact that you are shown, right at the start, what caused the doll to be the way it is and it was pretty dull stuff to be honest. Part of the enjoyment of the first film was wondering "What the hell is up with this doll?" but this film takes what would have been an anticlimactic ending and sticks it right at the start.

2/9

Interesting comments about Frozen above. At first I thought it was really good, lots of decent tunes and I liked the animation style. After the first third though if took a nose dive, Olaf's song isn't as funny as it thinks it is and the less said about those bloody sex-therapist trolls the better. That combined with the plot holes that creep in made it quite annoying to watch overall. Even though it's much more 'traditional' I would still recommend Tangled over Frozen any day.

Fifty Shades of Grey.

A surprising 7.5/10.. The fact it wasn't as explicit as the books was what won points for me as you got to see a better attempt at an actual story. Jamie and Dakota were great. Jamie's too nice for the punishment side of effed up Mr Grey but plays the emotional messed up part wonderfully as well as the charming bits. Dakota was endearing and made me actually like Ana. She was very funny and I hope she makes me like Ana in the 2nd and 3rd films as I HATED her in the 2nd and 3rd books. EL James cannot write and to hate the main character who you're meant to root for was BAD.

Summary: a MUCH better film than book franchise.

The Secret of Kells

So after another Cartoon Saloon animation got a nomination for Best Animated Picture at the Oscars, I figured it was about time I checked out their previous film. And what better day to check out some Irish animation than on St Patrick's Day?

And yeah, I'm glad I did. This was beautiful. I adored the art style, and there was just so much creativity in the animation. The parts with Aisling were a joy to watch. The story was excellent and captivating throughout. I did think the ending was a little rushed, but otherwise it was brilliant and well deserving of its nomination. I kind of want to go to Ireland now to check out the real Book of Kells...

Very high 4* from me, so I'll translate that as a 9/10.

I've got Song of the Sea on the way from the states, I hope that's at least as good!

Song of the Sea

I think that might just have been even more beautiful than The Secret of Kells. Every frame was a work of art and the story was perfectly paced. Shed a tear or two at the end as well. Simply magnificent. Tomm Moore and Cartoon Saloon are now permanently on my radar.

5* for sure, so I'll give that a rare 10/10.

Guardians Of The Galaxy. 6/10. I really didn't like it or find it interesting. The storyline didn't blow me away. Good cast for sure. Mmmmmm Lee Pace hehe but yeah, snooze. Even my Mum said it "was a pile of sh*t" lol.

I never know whether to post these in the anime section or the film thread. Essentially, I have a friend who knows horror films but not anime, so we each get the other to review something. Hijinks ensue, it is agreeable.

-Danielle- said:
Mockingjay part 1.

7/10. Enjoyable, felt like it went really quickly. Can't wait for part 2!

See, I wasn't that keen on it - I can see what they tried to do with it, and it was clearly largely setting up for Part 2, but the overriding feeling I came away from it with was that it felt like a really long TV episode, and not a film. Sure, go for the intelligent talky stuff, but I'm not sure that's exactly what people want so much in a AAA movie blockbuster like this.

Yeah it didn't feel like a film.

I'm such a massive fan of the books so all that took place in them. So in the film I kinda just thought about bits not shown that are in the book whilst watching that I could still enjoy it. Want to see more Peeta, how could they end it like that!

Demons (1985)

A barking mad slice of Italian splatter that sees a group of hapless movie-goers picked off by supernatural forces inside a blockaded cinema, the film more than makes up for its cigarette-packet plot with its sheer, unhinged bravado. I was a little disappointed by its eventual direction, as sadly the main characters are by far and away the least interesting, but I honestly laughed all the way through at just how ever more ridiculous the film becomes as it goes on.

Zombie 4: After Death (1989)

A surprisingly competent entry into the series, notably boasting an amusing cast, but the shoestring budget is glaringly apparent and all the best material is clearly borrowed from elsewhere. It's pretty obvious that the Italian zombie golden age was over by this point. Nice theme tune though.

Avengers: Age of Ultron - 8.5/10

I actually enjoyed this one more than the first - think it managed the pacing extremely well for a film of its length, and the new characters were introduced well although Quicksilver's death was probably the tackiest, most shameless thing ever - I almost laughed out loud in the cinema when it happened

I'd be astounded if they don't give ScarJo a solo Black Widow movie soon - the amount of screen time she gets in this is immense.

Also - as much as I liked Ultron as a villiain and a character, I think they were in danger of pushing his character into a weird kind of pastiche. Make him all sarky and memorable sure - but sometimes I thought I was watching a Hollywood exercise into how to create a meme or something. It was all just a little too OTT - like someone had said 'Right, how do we make a bunch of lines people can edit into montages'. I found his mouth movement oddly distracting too.

Avengers: Age of Ultron, 9/10.

Really liked it. I heart James Spader as Ultron and loved some of the funny things he did for sure.

The comedic parts were super as always with Thor and Tony taking the top spot although Hawkeye and Quicksilver scenes were funny too. Specially when he was saying about how he could just shoot Quicksilver and no one would know. Proper tickled me that. Also I disagree with Lutga and found Quicksilvers death sad but that could be me cause I'm a girl and well he was hot hehe.

Elizabeth as Wanda was gorgeous!

The credit scene like after the main credits, why was that guy from Guardians of the Galaxy in it? I'm confused. Is it true that the final final credits had Spiderman in it? I googled as didnt wait and it says that was shown in Spain or something.

P.s I also love Natasha and Banner. OMG <3

-Danielle- said:
Avengers: Age of Ultron, 9/10.

Really liked it. I heart James Spader as Ultron and loved some of the funny things he did for sure.

The comedic parts were super as always with Thor and Tony taking the top spot although Hawkeye and Quicksilver scenes were funny too. Specially when he was saying about how he could just shoot Quicksilver and no one would know. Proper tickled me that. Also I disagree with Lutga and found Quicksilvers death sad but that could be me cause I'm a girl and well he was hot hehe.

Elizabeth as Wanda was gorgeous!

The credit scene like after the main credits, why was that guy from Guardians of the Galaxy in it? I'm confused. Is it true that the final final credits had Spiderman in it? I googled as didnt wait and it says that was shown in Spain or something.

P.s I also love Natasha and Banner. OMG <3

End credits spoilers Yes, that was Thanos. He was the one from the first Avengers post credits scene and the one who ultimately orchestrated the attack on New York if memory serves correctly. He was also seen in Guardians for a bit too, although I don't remember in what capacity so well, I've only seen it once when it first released. Thanos is also the one who will be the main villain in Infinity War and will wield the Infinity Gauntlet as seen in the Age of Ultron post credits scene, which makes the wearer pretty much a god, which is alluded to in Thor's vision in that weird pool thing. Also the Spiderman leak was a hoak, Joss Wheadon confirmed it himself at a panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back