Rate the last movie you watched out of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dredd (2012)

Having regretted not seeing this in the cinema when it came out, I'm all the more disappointed now that I've actually seen it. It's a good looking film with some impressive effects work and nice casting, but even without making inevitable comparisons with The Raid, I feel it's hamstrung by mediocre action direction (when said action is not supported by vfx) and a complete lack of tension throughout.

Mad Max: Fury Road

It feels like announcing that your second child is better than your first, but yes, I would begrudgingly admit that this is better than The Road Warrior and was completely worth the fifteen-odd years I've been waiting to see it. It's not perfect, but it was a cracking good ride from beginning to end.

American Sniper - 8/10

Enjoyed this, although it kind of surprised me how much of its considerable running time (over two hours) was just devoted to lengthy footage of the guy on missions/shooting/evading enemies. I mean, I suppose in that sense it aimed to offer a realistic portrait of what he was doing on his tours of the middle east, but at times it felt like I was watching someone else play a session of Call of Duty or something. There was focus on his psychological state, sure, but I felt after the initial set up, you were always at a remove to the guy, and that he had largely become so encapsulated by what he did, you didn't really get a sense of him as a person any more. He was just a tool - and as a result, as the film went on, your experience of watching became colder and more numb.

But then, maybe that was the whole point?

Avengers: Age of another lame Villain... I mean Ultron. 6.5/10

Boy where too begin. Widow and Banner romance, just awful decision, they had no chemistry at all, didn't make sense I guess Widow is hoping for a big green D? I really do not know. Thor leaves and comes back as he pleases. Too much emphasis on cheesy jokes like the first one, it felt so awkward I just ended up nodding my head most of the time. If I want bad comedy I would watch a FREAKING normal Comedy film! I love Joss but the comedy here doesn't roll well like it did in say Buffy. I feel like they spend more time trying to come up with these comedic lines or what not and then build the scene around it, that's how it feels. Now the titular character, Ultron. Boy oh boy. Just a robot with Daddy issues, woo. His whole plan was too confusing and kind of cliche, I was made to protect humanity instead I will wipe it away just like all evil robots that were created for good do. Ehhh. I will say this when he was on screen I like his whats the word charm?, but that leads into my next point, he hardly had any screen time at least it felt that way to me. He only popped up now and again to remind the audience that there is an actual villain in this film. And the final act of the film where most of the avengers individually just took down mini robots. L A M E. On to the positives now:

Decent score. Hawkeye, got the best treatment out of the Avengers here. Hulk vs Ironman fight, highlight of the film sadly. The Twins.

Better than the first, but not as much I was hoping (gave the first a 6). I am hoping the extended cut can save this film becuase my interest in the MCU is dwindling. Though they have my boy Spidey now.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Collection. 3-4/10

It was an ok watch. Didn't feel like I wasted 90 mins of my life at least. Gore for gore sake. A typical Horror Channel movie haha.

The Dark Knight Rises.

It was about time I finished this!

Still dislike Anne Hathaway's character, Banes voice is laughable but I did enjoy his character. I enjoyed it second time round more than the first half time for sure.

7/10.

Saw 3D/The Final Chapter

Having genuinely enjoyed the 1st one and the one with the Insurance guy (can't remember which number film) I was hoping this would be...decent.

It was poo! Was nice seeing Dr Gordon again, in retrospect they should of gave him more attention instead of Sean Patrick Flannery's character.

2/10

Saw 7 is easily the worst of the bunch. If you haven't seen any of the others besides 1, 2 and 3 are the best. I remember 5 and 7 being the worst IIRC. 4 and 6 are just kind of okay.

The Last Stand (2013)

Small town sheriff Arnie is the last thing standing between a South American druglord and the Mexican border, in this middling comeback vehicle. Big Arn is still spry and joined by an excellent supporting cast, but all involved are let-down by a witless, timid script that frequently fails to deliver more than the most perfunctory dialogue or make us care about its uninteresting characters. It's still watchable and, to its credit, does finally come alive into the last half-hour, but ultimately it feels like a missed opportunity.

Hellraiser (1987)

For all its slick 80s flash, I was surprised at how much this tale of a faithless wife cajoled into rescuing her zombified lover from a race of pleasure-seeking demons resembles classic, moralistic horror fables such as The Monkey's Paw. It's well played, conjuring up plenty of memorably disturbing images and adding a little thematic food for thought, but I don't think the actual story would live on in the mind as much as the visuals do.

Game For Vultures (1979)

A decent cast seems largely stuck on autopilot in this plodding Rhodesian War potboiler, as smuggler Richard Harris and seasoned rebel fighter Richard Roundtree struggle towards a laughably anticlimactic showdown on the battlefield. While there is clearly potential for an interesting film to be made about the conflict, this oddball relic certainly isn't it, appearing to be little more than an attempted justification for the actions of the minority government, timed to cash in on the success of the far more entertaining Wild Geese.

The Other Woman.

6/10 but an enjoyable 6/10 for sure like I don't regret spending time watching it. Typical female comedy which makes no sense. Was odd seeing Jaime Lannister in such a role.

Videodrome (1983)

There is much to admire in this pleasingly seedy, visually rich fantasy-satire on the easy voyeurism of the early home video era, but it all became a bit much for me during the terminally weird final act, where cable tv programmer James Woods's gooey hallucinations just started to feel like over indulgence of director Cronenberg's beloved grue effects.

I saw Videodrome for the first time recently, then quickly watched it twice more in quick succession. I loved it - it's arguably more relevant in the internet age of today than it was in the VHS era (though Cronenberg essentially updated it to great effect with eXistenZ in the late 90s). There are some great interviews with Cronenberg where he speaks of 'body horror' and effects as metaphor.

Yeah, it did strike me as rather prescient, given how much access we have now to all kinds of streaming video content and how common it's become to make a recording of yourself. I actually watched it, then Scanners shortly after, and while I think the latter worked better for me as a straightforward piece of entertainment, Videodrome has certainly stuck more in my mind. Quite curious to see eXistenZ now as well.

Crimson Peak - 6.5/10

A film filled with beautiful imagery but not much else. Del Toro's scripts seem to lose their je ne sais quoi (or should that be un no sé qué) when he writes in English rather than Spanish. This is his first English language film that feels atmospherically in keeping with Cronos, The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth but isn't on their level.

Harry Brown (2009)

A grim riff on the Death Wish vigilante-revenge thriller, much elevated by a sterling central performance from Michael Caine, whose grief-riddled humilty gives the central character a tragic dignity that stalwart action-hero Bronson could never quite manage.

I saw eXistenZ when it was in the cinema originally, and once out of the showing immediately turned around and bought a ticket to see it again. "Compelling" doesn't cover it.

Hah, I can't not watch eXistenZ now - I'll need to pick it up.

Race With the Devil (1975)

While the really quite awesome poster is writing cheques the film can't cash, this weird mashup of satanist horror and highway chase film is an endearing bit of exploitation-level nonsense, with an especially lively finale that seems to predict Mad Max.

Star wars: The Force Awakens - 6.5/10

Good but never grear. Boyega performed well, Daisy not so much. Ford was the best thing about the movie, closely followed by the new droid.

The Good Dinosaur - 8.5/10

Loved this film, and so did my nieces. The world looked stunning, the dinosaurs, not so much. At times touching, regularly funny. Typical pixar quality.

The Hateful Eight - 9/10

Through an acquaintance I had access to an official bafta screener dvd so we watched it together. Just superb (barring one sequence about half way through which was overly indulgent)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back