Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Toward the Terra

I'm a sucker for sci-fi shows, so I decided to watch this series instead of one of the many classics on my backlog. I was expecting something different, like a quest for a planet while having to face aliens and so on, but here the main focus is on racism. I appreciated how the author dealt with this difficult subject, and appreciated the costant quality of this series: although I never thought "wow this scene is a masterpiece", the level was always costant on "really good".
I've seen there is also a movie from the 80's, is it worth buying?

Score: 8 / 10

Teo

teonzo said:
Toward the Terra

I've seen there is also a movie from the 80's, is it worth buying?

I found the movie a little annoying as it zooms through everything so quickly that all of the characters feel flat and borderline insane as a result; there's no real time to get to know any of them and only the important plot details are covered. If you can see it cheaply, it's pretty and not a bad way to spend your time, but the TV series is much better overall in my opinion.

R

animefreak17 said:
Taka88 said:
Cowboy Bebop The Movie

8/10

I bought it last year. Todat it is first time i watch this. I think it is really good story, good action and fit girl :)

you brought it last year and you just got around to watching it!

It may surprise you to learn that a considerable number of members on this forum have unwatched piles of anime.

I was personaly quite alarmed myself, I always make a point of watching a DVD a matter of days after purchase.

I just bought few dvd example code geass part 2 and ghost in the shell 1,2 movie. I not watch it yet. I will watch it when I have time. We have a life. i am not obsession on one thing example anime. If i watch on anime all time then my life is waste.

Taka88 said:
I just bought few dvd example code geass part 2 and ghost in the shell 1,2 movie. I not watch it yet. I will watch it when I have time. We have a life. i am not obsession on one thing example anime. If i watch on anime all time then my life is waste.
anime is a form of entertainment i really love the stories, the style of the animation, the music ect.
its not a waste if you love doing it.
there are 4 things in this life i love
first is my family
anime
culture
history and documentaries

besides most of us on here love watching anime and we all do other things other then anime e.g. i like watching documentaries or watching old comedies. anyway i would never say that watching anime was a waste of my life cause i really enjoy watching them.

doing something that you dont like is a waste of a life. theres nothing else that interests me

salaryman kintora

if you thought salarymen was something to poke fun of and are boring in anime well think again cause kintora is the salarymen that would want to turn you in to a salaryman.

i got to say i didn't expect much from this anime since i found it at a market for £8 -

but i got to say its freakin awesome its about a single dad that was a leader of a bike gang and decides to become a salaryman and he enjoys life with his son.

il let you guys find out more about *salaryman kintora* i dont like to spoil.

i really love this anime i really thought it would be boring but when you get in to the story your hooked.

its a old anime but its worth a watch 110%
i watched it in subtitles and its 20 episodes long but you should check this anime out
9.5/10

Kiki's Delievery Service

It was an enjoyable film, but having watched so many Studio Ghibli films in recent weeks and months I tend to find myself just trying to spot the recurring themes and similarities between the other films. For example, Kiki looking similar to just about every other heroine in the films. Also, I spent a lot of time thinking to myself that this sort of film would never get made in Britain. Not so much for a lack of imagination or money, but mainly because the newspapers would be accusing you of being a pedophile for showing so many film sorts looking up at a girls skirt and showing a 13-year-old's panties.

Score: 8 / 10

Rui said:
I found the movie a little annoying as it zooms through everything so quickly that all of the characters feel flat and borderline insane as a result; there's no real time to get to know any of them and only the important plot details are covered. If you can see it cheaply, it's pretty and not a bad way to spend your time, but the TV series is much better overall in my opinion.

Thanks for your info, Rui. It's on sale on Amazon for 10£ (including shipping), so I think I will pass for now, I can spend that money on much more interesting titles I still miss.

---

Spiral

Time ago I read this was the anime that launched the "mental games" wave of series like Death Note and Code Geass. Since I love those 2 series, I was quite curious. The first half of the series was quite good, the mental games and the tactics were a bit forced and did not flow completely smooth, but were still enjoyable and interesting. When things were going to reach the climax and the series needed to go on top gear, here came the total fail for my tastes. The second half lacked on ideas, was quite boring and did not give anything to the conclusion of the story, leaving me quite disappointed. First half would get a 7.5, second half a 4, so let's say a 6 overall. Don't think I'll ever want to watch this again.

Score: 6 / 10

Teo

teonzo said:
Rui said:

Thanks for your info, Rui. It's on sale on Amazon for 10£ (including shipping), so I think I will pass for now, I can spend that money on much more interesting titles I still miss.

---

Spiral

Time ago I read this was the anime that launched the "mental games" wave of series like Death Note and Code Geass. Since I love those 2 series, I was quite curious. The first half of the series was quite good, the mental games and the tactics were a bit forced and did not flow completely smooth, but were still enjoyable and interesting. When things were going to reach the climax and the series needed to go on top gear, here came the total fail for my tastes. The second half lacked on ideas, was quite boring and did not give anything to the conclusion of the story, leaving me quite disappointed. First half would get a 7.5, second half a 4, so let's say a 6 overall. Don't think I'll ever want to watch this again.

Score: 6 / 10

Teo

I'd agree there, the ending was anticlimactic and the oft-referred to Blade Children were never really involved, or made clear why they were so important.

Solty Rei

Story: Meh
Characters: Roys relationship with Solty and Rose was quite sad and heartwarming
Animation: It wasnt fantastic, but i thought it was gonna be allot worse
Dub: A very good dub! Chris Sabat did a fantastic job as Roy!

Overall: It was a very heartwarming drama let down by the fact that the story was a bit naff and there wasnt enough action when its labeled an action show.

7/10

Ian Wolf said:
Kiki's Delievery Service

It was an enjoyable film, but having watched so many Studio Ghibli films in recent weeks and months I tend to find myself just trying to spot the recurring themes and similarities between the other films. For example, Kiki looking similar to just about every other heroine in the films. ]
That happens in every Ghibli film (>>)...it's almost as if the company is trying to make "actors" to play the parts...or are just lazy.

Joshawott said:
Ian Wolf said:
Kiki's Delievery Service

It was an enjoyable film, but having watched so many Studio Ghibli films in recent weeks and months I tend to find myself just trying to spot the recurring themes and similarities between the other films. For example, Kiki looking similar to just about every other heroine in the films. ]
That happens in every Ghibli film (>>)...it's almost as if the company is trying to make "actors" to play the parts...or are just lazy.
they wasn't lazy when those sados made (grave of the fireflys) thats the only ghibli film i won't be watching again

The Cat Returns

Certainly one of the better Ghibli films. For starters the character actually look different. Granted that's because most of them are cats, but humans are different too. My main problem with this film were the subtitles. For some reason a lot of capital Ds were replaces with Os. Also therewere quite a few missing apostrophes. Now I'm not one of these pedants who goes on about people misusing it, but when you don't include it in words like "Don't" you're really making a mess of things. Especially as the word comes out as "Oont".

Score: 9 / 10

Ian Wolf said:
The Cat Returns

Certainly one of the better Ghibli films. For starters the character actually look different. Granted that's because most of them are cats, but humans are different too. My main problem with this film were the subtitles. For some reason a lot of capital Ds were replaces with Os. Also therewere quite a few missing apostrophes. Now I'm not one of these pedants who goes on about people misusing it, but when you don't include it in words like "Don't" you're really making a mess of things. Especially as the word comes out as "Oont".

I rather liked the Cat Returns too. I'm not a big Ghibli person myself but this was quite different from standard Ghibli fare. As you noted the character doesn't look like every other main character in Ghibli. I watched the dub though as I saw it on Film4, but it was pretty good IMO.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Ian Wolf said:
The Cat Returns

I rather liked the Cat Returns too. I'm not a big Ghibli person myself but this was quite different from standard Ghibli fare. As you noted the character doesn't look like every other main character in Ghibli. I watched the dub though as I saw it on Film4, but it was pretty good IMO.

Funny, I love Cat Returns, but I find the plot is an almost exact copy of Spirited Away minus a little of the darker aspects and swap everything with cats :p But yeah it definitely LOOKS different (I rather like the style) but it feels like pure Ghibli to me.

Lupin the III: The Secret of Mamo

Bought it at hmv for £3 the other day and was pleasently surrised by it. the plot kinda confused me a bit but Lupin and the gang grew on me and i find them quite entertaining characters and their interactions are quite funny. despite the fact Fujiko was kindof a bitch throughout and Lupin tried to rape her multiple times (that might be a bit strong a word but he did fly naked at her with an obvious intent to have sex with her). Mamo looked like ET crossed with one of those seramic dolls with blue skin so in other words was ugly as hell. after this i think i'm going to buy Castle of Cagliostro since that looks good as well. only dissapointment was the animation at points was so crap i couldnt tell what was goin on but that only happened i think about 3 times in the first 30 mins so it wasnt too bad.

7.5/10

Warmaster said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Ian Wolf said:
The Cat Returns

Funny, I love Cat Returns, but I find the plot is an almost exact copy of Spirited Away minus a little of the darker aspects and swap everything with cats :p But yeah it definitely LOOKS different (I rather like the style) but it feels like pure Ghibli to me.

Interesting, because I really don't like Spirited Away :p I think there's a bigger sense of "the stakes" in TCR. There's little sense of urgency in Spirited Away, to my mind anyway.

Back