Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

daichi383 said:
Lupin the III: The Secret of Mamoafter this i think i'm going to buy Castle of Cagliostro since that looks good as well.
Be prepared for something quite different. Castle of Cagliostro is amazing but more of a Miyazaki movie than a Lupin movie.

-------------

Sengoku Basara - 6/10

I get the impression that Sengoku Basara may be more fun to play than it is to watch. Not that it's a bad show as video game adaptations go, but I can't help feeling that half the appeal of something like Sengoku Basara is being able to perform for yourself the cool **** the characters do on-screen.

You could say the same about a lot of shows, I suppose, video game adaptation or not, but the problem I have with Sengoku Basara is that the plot is thinner than a supermodel while the characters have little more to them than dramatic speeches. Simply put, I didn't care about much that happened during the course of the series. The amount of character, place, and faction names flying about doesn't exactly help, though the plot is so straightforward that it hardly matters in the end.

But the OTT battles are mostly great (I can only assume that they are the only reason anyone would enjoy this show) and thanks to Production I.G. the entire show looks good. In one episode the dreaded triple-take shortcut (where a clip or still is shown three times just in case you missed it the first two times) reared its ugly, outdated head, causing me to shake mine in disbelief, but shortcuts are mercifully absent from most fights.

venus vs virus

its like any average anime - a character has a hidden power and he awakens it and helps out other people. but dont count it out without watching it, it has a twisted fate for both the main characters but at the end it has a cliffhanger but i think it leaves us to imagine whats might happen even tho the manga ended.

il give it a

7.5/10

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Ian Wolf said:
The Cat Returns

Certainly one of the better Ghibli films. For starters the character actually look different. Granted that's because most of them are cats, but humans are different too. My main problem with this film were the subtitles. For some reason a lot of capital Ds were replaces with Os. Also therewere quite a few missing apostrophes. Now I'm not one of these pedants who goes on about people misusing it, but when you don't include it in words like "Don't" you're really making a mess of things. Especially as the word comes out as "Oont".

Score: 9 / 10

I rather liked the Cat Returns too. I'm not a big Ghibli person myself but this was quite different from standard Ghibli fare. As you noted the character doesn't look like every other main character in Ghibli. I watched the dub though as I saw it on Film4, but it was pretty good IMO.
The dub has Tim Curry as The Cat King, so it's win. The Cat Returns is my favourite film of all time, not just anime. It's also a family favourite in my house xD

When I saw Arrietty with my family, the car journey home was us pointing out the references to The Cat Returns in the movie.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Sengoku Basara - 6/10

;_; I think I'm just going to start turning all your scores for period-influenced series backwards. Though I appreciate that if you're not into the seiyuu or the ridiculous references to history then it's probably a sort of random mishmash of insane nonsense. As opposed to an ingenious mishmash of insane nonsense.

Obligatory link to sample of the self-aware fun of the games here.

R

No, I'm not really all that interested in the historical detail of these kinds of shows. There's a trailer for the PS3/Wii game on the BD, and it did look as though it would be more fun than watching the anime :p

I've always had a faint interest in trying one of the Dynasty Warrior titles but they all seem a bit dry considering how ridiculous they are. Sengoku Basara is equally ridiculous, but yes, it's definitely self-aware. I might have a look for a cheap PS3 copy on ebay.

EDIT: Also, every time I saw this fella with his divvy headgear, I immediately thought of this character in their divvy headgear. Not good.

Also x2, I made the mistake of watching the dub. Presumably JYB voices Yukimura in the game, which would explain how he's infiltrated a Funi dub. IS NOTHING SACRED?

fabricatedlunatic said:
Also x2, I made the mistake of watching the dub. Presumably JYB voices Yukimura in the game, which would explain how he's infiltrated a Funi dub. IS NOTHING SACRED?

Haha, I believe he does, and Yukimura's voice is easily one of the most annoying in the English version of the game. Because the budget was presumably not the highest, he's also immediately identifiable voicing various side characters as well. Usually in the exact same overly dedicated cosplayer-style tone of voice he uses for poor Yukimura >_>;

Masamune's voice in the dub of the game is also absolutely horrible (he pronounces his own subordinate's name about 15 different ways and none are close to being correct...), and since they're the two main characters in the anime that probably sucks quite a lot of the soul out of things. Some of the less important characters in the game survive the dub process more gracefully but they're also less prominent in the TV series.

If you can stand giving it a revisit I really recommend at least watching a bit in Japanese, it's much crazier, and therefore substantially better in this case. I particularly recommend any scene with the main two and Oda. Or Yukimura and his allies.

The only game readily available here is actually the third, which will almost certainly be very confusing because it focuses on a load of characters who aren't actually in the anime at all (or in one case, someone who was actually killed as a plot point despite it destroying the canon of the series and Japanese history itself in the anime). So as much as I dearly want to recommend giving it a try, please don't set your expectations too high for much enlightenment ;_;

R

Last edited by a moderator:
^
But surely no one would think of playing Sengoku Basara for the story, would they? The possibly entertaining, OTT but still mediocre action I can understand, but surely not the story?

Troll comment detected!

If a game has a dedicated story mode, I am pretty sure that somewhere out there, people play it for the story. Not all people are the same.

R

lol, yeah I'm sure someone does. My experience of the story though(and the game in general if I'm honest) was very forgettable.

Though games immediately get marked down in my book when they turn battle hardened historical warriors into pop singer wannabe look alikes.. so maybe I'm biased.

That's fine, games get marked down in my book when they turn every single male (and female) character into bulky steroid-pumped wrestlers with single digit IQs, so it all comes out in the wash ;p

R

Hmm, Masamune's voice in the show was one of the dub's high points, so I had a look at IMDB and, lo, that role was played by different actors. For whatever reason (probably financial) it seems Funi only used a handful of LA actors (LA being where most/all video game dubs are produced) and used the usual Texas bunch for the rest.

Thanks to the production values I can see myself rewatching the show somewhere down the line, and if/when I do I'll be sure to make setting the dialogue to Japanese a priority.

I think I know which anime death you're referring to. One thing that bugged me about the anime was that there weren't more character deaths, especially since the viewer was duped into thinking certain characters HAD died (though in fairness Giant Robo played that card a couple of times well), but I take your point about canonical concerns.

madori days -

you know what they say that a guys hand will never leave him............ well a girl has became his hand lol

i cant say anything bad about this anime cause it is 100% perfect.
i dont usually go for romance animes but this anime was freaking hilariously histerical its funny and it has that charm that makes you go awwww cute. my heart was in my throat and i kept saying please let them get together while at the same time i was laughing so hard it hurts.

animation - perfect
story and plot - perfect
i recommend this anime to anyone who love comedies and romance ( it all works out)
and its really cute

10/10

Vash: I like the latest DW too :p there's a huge range of different kinds of characters!

Sengoku Basara TV spoilers follow.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I think I know which anime death you're referring to. One thing that bugged me about the anime was that there weren't more character deaths, especially since the viewer was duped into thinking certain characters HAD died (though in fairness Giant Robo played that card a couple of times well), but I take your point about canonical concerns.

Ah, you were lucky if the terrible game dub Masamune was absent. I don't know what they were thinking ;_;

This next paragraph will contain massive spoilers for season one of SB. One of the gratifying things I like about historical series is you already know everyone dies, so even though it's sort of spoilertastic to know person X is meant to die in battle Y rather than carry out their plan and so on, it's also exciting to see how it will play out. The TV series did handle deaths really weirdly, dragging some out reasonably appropriately (Oichi's husband) but having Oda just hack through a bunch of mildly popular series regulars within seconds (when he nips to southern Japan to conquer everything halfway through). My husband literally blinked and missed a few of these death-cameos despite enjoying the games. He was also confused for weeks about the character who dies in the TV series despite remaining alive and well in the game continuity, his mind trying to reconcile things by deciding they must just have been relatives. I think you have to think of the anime and the games (and indeed, the second season of the anime...) as separate, Tenchi Muyou-style universes, or nothing makes any sense.

It's sort of like animated fanfiction for the game series only with a really high budget, and the game in turn is sort of like crazy fanfiction for the real events.

R

Since I've actually been at home with my TV, discs and BD player for the first time in about two months, I found time to finish off FMA:Brotherhood.

What did I give the original series, 9? Then it would seem unreasonable to give this anything less than 10. FMA is one of the anime epics, and while I was uncertain of the purpose a remake would serve, Brotherhood managed to improve on the first TV outing in almost every way. The characters on all sides were better developed with both heroes and villains having plenty of grey areas in their thoughts, actions and morality. The pace of the story felt more consistent, the twists and shocks too had greater impact and I can't count the number of times the emotion of the last few episodes got to me. Even the deaths of certain villains felt like an unnecessary waste of life even after all the harm they had done, which goes to show how well the humanity of the characters (somewhat ironically) had been portrayed.

Perhaps most importantly of all though, the world of FMA:B was so intricately crafted and so vividly drawn that (original FMA TV spoiler) it had no need of ours.

fabricatedlunatic said:
SenBasa

Also x2, I made the mistake of watching the dub.
Oh man... well, you have already been sorted out on this score, I see, but I will still lend my strong recommendation to at least check out the JP track at some stage.

The creative staff behind Chihayafuru are attempting to sway me towards a final score only four episodes in:

Q1uUwl.jpg

w7rqYl.png

C3X4G.png

lolz, that's great.

Rui said:
but having Oda just hack through a bunch of mildly popular series regulars within seconds (when he nips to southern Japan to conquer everything halfway through).
Huh, I thought those were throwaway characters used to illustrate Oda's eeeevilness without killing off any major cast members. Had no idea they WERE major cast members in the games. With the different continuities causing all kinds of confusion I guess prior knowledge of the games can be both a blessing and a curse...

black butler SEASON 1

this is one hell of a fantastic anime series, its the best iv seen in a while. i love all the characters but my favourites * Sebastian Michaelis* and hes one hell of a butler lol sorry had to get that pun out of the way lol.

anyway its about a boy of 12 years old who contracts his soul to a demon ( yes it sound horrifying but its really funny too) to get revenge of the people who gave him a living hell of a life but this demon is in the form of a butler.
And its all based in victoria britain.

the story and plot 9.5/10
the characters loving and bad ass 9.5/10
the animation 9.5/10
comedy 8/10
heart wrenching 9/10

this anime keeps you glued to the tv and you hang on to every word and 120% recommended to everyone.

the only drawback is i checked out on wiki theres a black butler season 2 and i cant find it on axleplanet and *I WANT IT BAD*

"IF ANYONE KNOWS WHEN BLACK BUTLER SEASON 2 COMING OUT LET ME KNOW"

anyways im giving this piece of art a

10/10

*he one hell of a butler *

Jubei-chan - 8/10

In the end, behind all the silliness, this was a story about a father's love for his daughter, and said daughter growing from a clueless ditz into a mature young woman. Awww, or something.

But the thing I enjoyed most about Jubei-chan was Akitaro Daichi's hilarious brand of madcap comedy, acted out by a bunch of hugely likeable characters. Anyone who's seen Kodocha will know about Daichi's frenetic slapstick, one-liners, and impeccable comic timing, and like Kodocha there's a serious story unfolding amidst the quirkiness. He possesses an unnatural talent for blending two completely contrasting tones and somehow making it work.

There's some decently animated battles, too, though in the first half of the series the formulaic battle-of-the-week plot chugs along in a mostly predictable direction. Onto J2.

Back