Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

castle of cagliostro

what can i say, the dubs terrible lol they call lupin wolf wolf for christ sacks and the over use unwanted dub.
but for a classic movie its not bad.
and its fun to watch at times
7.5/10

It was a rights problem, as I recall - they didn't have permission from the Leblanc estate to use the Lupin name.

Beyond that, I thought the dub was perfectly fine.

I have done, but I still think the dub is fine.

While the streamline dub (most likely the one you saw, unless you have quite an old disc) does alter a few lines of dialogue, the voices are well cast and it's more than faithful enough to the spirit of the original audio track.

I love the Streamline Cagliostro dub. Streamline do get a lot of grief for their somewhat "loose" adaptations, but the performances are always top notch. I'm so glad Optimum used Streamline's dub instead of the one produced by Manga US, as it meant I could finally lob my VHS copy.

Yeah, I was actually kind of surprised that the Optimum disc had the Streamline dub on it, but I'm certainly not complaining. Manga's dub may boast Solid Snake as Lupin, but I think Bob Bergen absolutely nailed the role first time round.

Professor Irony said:
Yeah, I was actually kind of surprised that the Optimum disc had the Streamline dub on it, but I'm certainly not complaining. Manga's dub may boast Solid Snake as Lupin, but I think Bob Bergen absolutely nailed the role first time round.

Snake vs. Luke Skywalker's stand-in WHO WILL WIN!?

lupin the secret of mamo

i love the tom and jerry chase between the inspector and lupin and the film its self is fun to watch and funny this is my second lupin movie and im a fan now iv ordered two more lupin movies. there a scene where lupin bumps in to hitler and in the japanese dub it funn how he say hail hitler lol most of the movie is funny so il give it a

7.5/10

Professor Irony said:

While I love David Hayter (who surprisingly enough wrote the screenplay for the movie adaptation of Watchmen :? ) as the quintessentially gravelly Solid Snake. At the same time I think I would have to be in denial if I couldn't admit that he is still a pretty naff voice actor, who frequently seems to lose the meaning of his lines as he speaks them. But thats ok beacuse he makes up for that with extra gravellyness. Do you think he Gargles with razor blades to get his voice like that?

Yeah, due to Monkey Punch not getting the rights of Maurice LeBlanc's estate to use the Arsène Lupin name, various dubs had to think of their own ways to name Lupin III outside of Japan without angering said estate. Some dubs referred to him by names like "The Wolf" (like Streamline; which isn't a totally random name when you consider that Lupin is derived from Lupinus, meaning "Wolf") or Rupan (guess where that came from 9.9).

lupin first contact episode 0

it funny just like any of the other movies iv seen but this movie tells us how lupin and the gang first meet. i find this movie good but its to short.

i still love how the inspector chases lupin ( classic )
story and plot 7.5/10
characters 8.5/10
animation 7/10

8/10

Joshawott said:
Yeah, due to Monkey Punch not getting the rights of Maurice LeBlanc's estate to use the Arsène Lupin name, various dubs had to think of their own ways to name Lupin III outside of Japan without angering said estate. Some dubs referred to him by names like "The Wolf" (like Streamline; which isn't a totally random name when you consider that Lupin is derived from Lupinus, meaning "Wolf") or Rupan (guess where that came from 9.9).

Why didn't they just get around that by keeping the name as the Japanese pronunciation: Rupan. Or could they still have been sued?

Also according a google search Rupan is also used in Japanese as a word meaning shoplifter. Where Maurice LeBlancs books (or maybe the Rupan anime?) really so influential in Japan that the name became a commonly used word for theif? :?

Maybe it's just because "Rupan" sounds kinda silly in English? "Wolf" certainly sounds a bit cooler. Amusingly, I think the French used to call him "Edgar".

vashdaman said:
Also according a google search Rupan is also used in Japanese as a word meaning shoplifter. Where Maurice LeBlancs books (or maybe the Rupan anime?) really so influential in Japan that the name became a commonly used word for theif? :?

It would make my day if that turned out to be true.

True, but to be honest Lupin the third sounds pretty silly in English as well, and is probably what put me off the series for years. Calling it "Wolf" is definitely cooler, if a bit misleading as to the tone of the show.

Now we just need a Japanese speaker to confirm about Rupan. Are those online Japanese-English dictionaries to be trusted?

Darker Than Black: Season 1

An interesting idea, and I liked some of the music as well as the characters. Also interesting to see that most of the episodes were split into two halves, although I do wonder why they didn't just make the episodes an hour long and merge some of the shorter ones together. I'll probably end up buying Season 2.

Score: 6 / 10

lupin the fuma conspiracy

i love the chase scene with lupin and the inspector lol.

the plot its self is good * its like the goonies with all those traps*
geomon trys to save his future wife

well like the last 3 lupin movies its a load of fun to watch

8/10

vashdaman said:
Professor Irony said:

While I love David Hayter (who surprisingly enough wrote the screenplay for the movie adaptation of Watchmen :? ) as the quintessentially gravelly Solid Snake. At the same time I think I would have to be in denial if I couldn't admit that he is still a pretty naff voice actor, who frequently seems to lose the meaning of his lines as he speaks them. But thats ok beacuse he makes up for that with extra gravellyness. Do you think he Gargles with razor blades to get his voice like that?

I think his Watchmen script was ultimately not used or adapted heavily, I seem to remember reading that, but he did help screenwrite X-men 1 and 2.

mazinkaiser SKL

this is the ultra heavy metal of mazinkaiser z its 100 times more violent it has bad ass music, bad ass fights and bad ass anti heroes.

its 3 episodes long but it delivers a message and that message is * doesn't have to be a long series to kick ass*

a must for fans of mech and violent fans and its not has cheesy has mazinkaiser z. its fast and furious.

9/10

demon city shijuku

its a old style anime 90s and its basicly a good vs evil movie ( evil guy wants to take over the world using, you killed my farther and i want revenge you know the good old good vs evil )

7.5/10

Back