Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

angel feather

this shows for girls cause its fan service for girls.
its 2 episodes and it didn't finished the story and it was a rush job everything was rushed but im sure RUI would like it lol
3/10

Last show I finished was Kaze no Stigma.

That was...dissapointing. It's not bad, just distinctly meh, and nothing about it at all really shone, it was all so distinctly average.

Rating 5-6/10

Edit: Tell a lie, it was Shakugan no Shana S OVAs (as I'd been waiting to watch this 'til S3 aired)

What can I say, I enjoyed it a lot. The first episode was quite funny and a nice development in context, whilst the second episode was kinda a case of showing the characters being the characters (and worst of the 4 episodes).
Episode 3/4 I thought were surprisingly good and not at all what I expected them to be, and were basically a prequel to the series in the sense that they are set only shortly before S1.

The reason I liked them so much was that, unlike most of the rest of the series, they focused more on the fates of the torches, and the sad effect this has on those they leave behind.
A lot of the series sort of makes you immune to this aspect of the show, but these set of episodes really focused on it and drove it home; as much as you were watching Shana, it felt like you were watching a tribute to the fact that the Shana universe, and indeed Shana's life is not all sunshine, roses and excitement, and that the loss of each person, both as a torch, and then into nothingness is a much sadder fate than most of the series really focuses on.

Quite poignant in a way, and I really felt it drove home the sadness of the fate far more than most of the rest of the series - it's an aspect the series really hasn't dwelt on much after the first couple of episodes of S1, so it was nice to see a return to focusing on the fact of what each torch is, and where it came from etc. It gives wider context to the series in the sense that it reminds you of the universe beyond Shana and Yuji, and drives home the sad existance and inevitable fates of the torches, one of the things that the Crimson Haze exist to prevent.

There was also the little spoiler/intrigue for S3 at the very end of Episode 4 (although I'm aware of what it means as I made the mistake of getting into a discussion with someone who'd read the books)

Rating 8.5/10 overall
Broken down I'd rate them:
Ep 1 - 8
Ep 2 - 6/7
Episode 3/4 (as ideally you treat these as a two-parter/one big episode) - 9

voogie,s angel

this 3 episode anime had a (virus gun buster surge) feel to it and its a cliff hanger.
maybe if i was living during the time this came out id probably like it.

il give it a 4/10

fabricatedlunatic said:
MS Gundam: 08th MS Team - 9/10

Glad to hear you liked it, it's the next Gundam on my list to watch.

So far I've seen: Gundam 00 Seasons 1, 2 and the movie, Mobile Suit Gundam, and MS Igloo (and its two sequels).

I'm really keen to watch 08th though, I've heard a lot of good things. MS Igloo was pretty odd, though I liked its portrayal of non-MS units fighting against MSs, because it emphasised how ridiculously powerful Gundams are, as the non-MS tanks etc all had to fight a lot harder to win. It was quite entertaining, or at least 2 were, I think one of them was rubbish, but I can't remember which.

@ AF17 Unusually low scores for you AF, especially two in a row, I'm shocked :p

@Sparrowsabre7 its because the animes iv watched had 2 and 3 episodes and they tried to squeeze everything in to 2 or 3 episodes

one of them had all boy anime for girls
it was 2 episodes and it had a cliff hanger
and it was boring

the second anime had 3 episodes with a cliff hanger with a squeezed in story
it was virus buster surge style old style
and it was rushed

i like a well done out story with funnies, good character, good animation, likeable, ect

the last 2 wasn't that good but the day after tomorrow im watching murder princess

Yeah that's a fair point. It's just generally you seem a lot more positive about most, not that that's a bad thing. I seem to only have 3 ratings I give lol: 9,8,7,4 :p Either I love it, really like it, kinda like it, but it has issues, or I don't like it but admit it's not exactly terrible, just not for me.

animefreak17 said:
i like a well done out story with funnies, good character, good animation, likeable, ect

*bites tongue*[/b]

Freedom

Good story, interesting characters. On the whole this was very enjoyable. On the downside it took some time to get used to the computerised animation. I felt it at times to be sluggish in style, but I eventually got used to it (most of the time).

Score: 8 / 10

Heat Guy J - 6/10

Haven't watched any anime in a while now and decided to pick up one of the series in the backlog, watched the first 4 episodes and im not entirely sold yet, the general crux of each episode seems to be *human runs in being cocky* - Cyborg/android has to come in and save the poor sap from being killed and the baddies are killed by an explosion everytime.

Not to mention half the episodes on the first disc are half men half animal so its practically the same episode plot used twice – back to back aswell.

Apart from the – transition between old anime slayers style to modern day shounen style. It sits somewhere inbetween em (due to hair, eyes and general look of the characters and scenery)
Try another couple of eps tonight and see where its going… I have series 1-3 so gotta stick with it either way lol.

rescue me mave-chan

this is a 25 minute short but sweet anime
its about a boy who gets stuck in imagination land with anime chicks (lucky basterd) and .................. well il let you guys find out.
yeah the animations average, storys short but it does leave a good message - dont forget old animes over new ones or something like that

short but sweet anime
6/10

I have to agree with Sparrow, your reviews are slowly becoming more discerning AF, as before it seemed like shows you described a short but sweet and knida OK would get a 8.5/10. For a while I thought "damn I wish I found things as entertaining as AF does". :p

I think this is only a good thing, your becoming a true connoisseur!

@vashdaman no its just the animes iv been watching lately are all movies or shorts with cliff hangers with storys packed tightly in and with out any explanations but ...........

murder princess - was awesome it was 6 episodes but it was a well made story with a few twists and almost all the character are lovable. i love Dominikov he really stands out. i dont like to give anything away so you'll have to find out for your self. blondes rule !!!!!

the storys and plot are good
the characters are really likeable (Dominikov) my favourite
the animations not bad

i really recommend this short but sweet anime to everyone
8.5/10

hows that vashdaman

The Borrower Arrietty

Finally this movie arrived in Italian cinemas... Being a Ghibli movie I had high hopes, but I must say I'm a bit disappointed. I was expecting a great movie, but in my opinion it's "just" a good movie. The style is pure Ghibli 100%, and maybe this is the problem for me: I can't avoid comparing this movie to the others, it's too similar in style to Totoro and I prefer Totoro by a good margin. I hope Studio Ghibli will try to create something new with their next releases, I'm thinking about what they did with Grave of the Fireflies and Only Yesterday.
Great drawings, great animations, great production and so on, but I prefer most of the other Ghiblis to this one. Still an enjoyable movie, that's for sure, so it deserves a good rating.

Score: 7.5 / 10

Teo

Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo/Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below - 9/10 for the film, fanboydreams/10 for getting to meet and speak with Shinkai in the lobby afterwards.

Initial reaction was that this will slip just behind Kumo no Mukou in my personal Shinkai list, but I'll get to rewatch soon to check that out since the BD is out next month in Japan with English subtitles if anyone is interested in importing.

Strike Witches: Series 1

On the whole is was OK. It was an entertaining story, with nice characters, but the plot was at parts predictable. Shame more time wasn't devoted to the story and less to the fan service. Also, how come the main British characters are the clutz and main human baddie?

Score: 6 / 10

@Sparrowsabre
I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy 08th MS Team, which seems to be one of the more highly regarded entries in the franchise. I'd also seriously recommend 0080: A War in the Pocket, especially if you like 08th MS Team and fancy another more "realistic" Gundam show (or as "realistic" as you can get when dealing with giant robots). Not only is it a great little show, but Haruhiko Mikimoto character designs :wub:

ilmaestro said:
Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo/Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below - 9/10 for the film
Sounds interesting.

fanboydreams/10 for getting to meet and speak with Shinkai in the lobby afterwards.
Wait, what? The bait has been taken, so you may now elaborate :p

Lawrence said:
Ian Wolf said:
Strike Witches: Series 1

On the whole is was OK. It was an entertaining story, with nice characters, but the plot was at parts predictable. Shame more time wasn't devoted to the story and less to the fan service. Also, how come the main British characters are the clutz and main human baddie?

Score: 6 / 10

Ah, but that's where you are wrong, the British character isn't British, she's Canadian (or she was). And I don't think it was quite as straight forward as him being a bad guy, if I'm not mistaken, it was supposed to be a throw back to the differing ideas held by Trafford Leigh-Mallory and Keith Park during the Battle of Britain. Of course, in the end it was Mallory who remained in charge.

But this time instead of the friction being caused over the "Big wing" issue, it's over the matter whether the witches should be participants in the war or not, especially since it is the 40's and women were/are second class citizens.

Thanks for the Canadian correction. In terms of witches being participants in the war, are we sure that the women in the dimension Strike Witches is set in are treated the same as women in our dimension?

fabricatedlunatic said:
fanboydreams/10 for getting to meet and speak with Shinkai in the lobby afterwards.
Wait, what? The bait has been taken, so you may now elaborate :p
Yeah, it was a bit of a surprise. They didn't announce he would be there until right before the film started, and he introduced the movie. Then there was a quick Q&A with him on the stage after the movie, where I got to ask him one of the two questions they took from the audience.

They didn't have anything set up for him to sit down and have a signing session after the film though, so I don't think many people assumed he was still going to be there but he was just kind of hanging around in the lobby talking to the few people who were still there.

He must have stayed for about 45 minutes to an hour or so after the movie finished, seems quite willing to accommodate fans. Had my picture taken with him and got him to sign the LFF edition of Sight & Sound I had on me... generally awesome day.

sukisho!

hey RUI if your reading this, this anime is something you might like.

this anime is about two boys who has a split personality and the other halfs of them love the other (before you saying anything i didn't know it was a boy boy love anime for girls ) but despite it being a boy love boy anime its really good, this anime is Definitely for girls, i just wish there was some females in this anime lol
its funny at times.
the story and plots good ( sometimes disturbing with the boy love boy scene) its says 16 or over but nothing too heavy.
the animation is average

anyway i think il give this anime a

7.5/10................. if i was a girl that likes this sort of anime id probably give it a
8.5/10

animefreak17 said:
sukisho!

hey RUI if your reading this, this anime is something you might like.

Haha, I like the personalised recommendations. I played the games for Sukisho so I liked them a bit more than the anime (bias) :)

Kudos as always for trying out series which most guys run a mile from!

R

Back