Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Hetalia: Axis Powers - 6/10

Having heard briefly the premise i hopped right on and watched them all and no, i didn't stay up all night. 13 episodes. 5 minutes long. Light hearted look at WW2 from a perspective of personified nations. The idea of personified nations made me enjoy it very much but with 5 minute episodes it didn't get very far. I have since then read the webcomic where it originated from and a large number of MADs.

On the actual program i would probably... only give it a 6 because it was so short (however, there is promise for another season) but it made me explore and i've enjoyed that to no end.

Clannad Episodes 4-9: 9/10 - started well and keeps getting better, its really good, has sad moments and funny moments, hope it stays this good!

Gemma1412 said:

Having heard briefly the premise i hopped right on and watched them all and no, i didn't stay up all night. 13 episodes. 5 minutes long. Light hearted look at WW2 from a perspective of personified nations. The idea of personified nations made me enjoy it very much but with 5 minute episodes it didn't get very far. I have since then read the webcomic where it originated from and a large number of MADs.
That actually sounds really cool, might have a look for it.

Hajime no Ippo / Fighting Spirit - 9/10

It isn't really a surprise that Ippo turned out to be a great series, despite its length - going into the series I was well aware of how highly regarded it is - but I do find myself a little surprised to see me rating it 9/10. My head told me to rate it 8-8.5/10 because, despite being incredibly enjoyable to watch and excellent to marathon because of how straightforward it is, it has a number of flaws. But, in the end, my heart won over my mind and, at the end of the series, I felt it deserved a score closer to top marks than 8/10.

There's nothing original about Ippo. It's a boxing story about a loser becoming winner, finding both glory and love as he moves forward with each fight, also making friends with his rivals. If you've seen Rocky then you've pretty much seen the same sort of story already, albeit with minor changes such as the age and situation the main character finds himself in at the start. But the lack of originality and repetitive nature of a series that progresses by showing training, a fight, an episode or two of humourous content and then repeats the process until the end doesn't stop it being excellent to watch. If done right, original or not, a story of a boy finding something worth living for and growing as he moves towards his dream will always appeal, and the story of Ippo was executed as good as can be imagined, on the boxing side at least.

There are a few issues I have, though. The first is the lack of episodes not focused on training and fights. There just wasn't enough episodes showing Ippo away from the ring. Even at the start, when he was shown getting bullied, there wasn't enough time given to flrshing out his character - I didn't feel sorry for Ippo because so little was shown of him as a weak victim. It's a shame because the episodes showing Ippo getting to know Kumi - his future love - and the backstory episodes for the cast were some of my favourites in the series. It's a strange complaint to make about a boxing anime but there was just too much boxing.

My other complaint is to do with the animation. Although the fights were entertaining for the most part because of Ippo either needing a certain tactic or just pure dermination to beat the talented fighters he came up against, I wasn't able to get fully into a lot because of the subpar animation. Too often I either found myself seeing still-shots being giving the illusion of motion by panning or short fight animations getting looped. I understand the budgets for anime are low in general and Ippo lasted for a lot longer than most but it still made me think how great some of the fights would've been with free flowing animation. On the brightside, at the least the final fight was epic.

...so, yeah, I liked Ippo a lot. I'm glad I own most of the series on DVD. I'm going to watch the two specials and then move onto the 25 episodes second season, which is still airing at the moment. I picked a good time to have a look and become a fan of Ippo!

P.S: The shows humour is just...weird. For the most part, the majority of the laughs come from jokes about Ippo's penis, unzipped flies and, rather disturbingly, Takamura receiving multiple phoadvantage of them. Only in Japan is date rape turned into a joke.

ilmaestro said:
Gemma1412 said:

That actually sounds really cool, might have a look for it.

Do it. http://community.livejournal.com/hetalia/14586.html That's the webcomic. Enjoy

xxxHolic volume 1 - so far is 8/10 material. I love the gothic feel this series have, light hearted moments and serious moments are well balanced.
The episodic nature of it may put some people off, but I find it rather enjoyable.

ilmaestro said:
Have you read the manga, chaos?

xxxHolics? Yes, up to volume 10. I know it gets darker as it goes, but I'm not sure how much of the original material is covered by the anime.

I think the manga is one of the most emotional series I've read - not in the melodramatic way that a lot of series are, just in the little details and the general atmosphere. It always seems to teater somewhere between very tragic and very scary (in a sense - I guess that's difficult to justify without examples, as it's obviously not "scary" scary, it just has a very oppressive atmosphere at times), despite balancing in the funny well too as you say.

Mmm... yes, I agree with you about that, on balance. I'm not so sure it's something to really criticize them for, though, unless you're going to criticize the whole idea of having the two series cross-over.

Code Geass 9/10

Ahh it's so good, I can't stop watching :] The story is so well thought up, I'm constantly on the edge of my seat D: !

Condor Hero 6/10 episodes 1-52 ,not a bad show at all.Although it's propably unique that the first 26 episodes are in japanese but then production was changed to china where it has proved very popular and all the voice acting was changed to chinese which has led to a lot of the characters having completely different pronuniction.
Some good martial art battles and a pretty good story,it's currently airing a third season of 26 episodes in china and canada of all places.So try it if like martial arts with a bit of romance thrown in for good measure.

Xam'd
- has a great story and nice range of characters, maybe a few too many, and they all play their parts in the overall story and the ending.

9/10

unellmay said:
SundayMorningCall said:
Clannad episodes 10-15 = 10/10

keeps on getting better and better, truly one of the best animes ive watched

What is this clannad ?

I've heard of it but never seen :?

theres a film and series, made by different people i think

the film is good, but not so much story as its only 2 hours long

the series is superb, much more story than the film

its about, well read this link, as im lazy, lol

link: http://myanimelist.net/anime/2167/Clannad

Hajime no Ippo: Mashiba vs Kimura - 9/10

Great one hour special. It's too bad it isn't, as far as I'm aware, available to buy on DVD.

Watching it made me wish more episodes of the TV series had focused less on Ippo and him taking beatings and more more on the less important cast members. Prior to this special, Kimura had mainly been used for comedy purposes and/or Ippo match commentary, which usually involved him and Aoki saying something stupid and having Takamura correct him.

The special was different, however. In this special he was the main character, with the 'camera' following him and not Ippo. Kimura was very serious throughout because he had to prepare for a title fight against Mashiba; a monster of a boxer who most fear fighting. Because it'd taken him five years to get a shot at the title, he decided it'd be for the best if he quit in the event of him losing, so the fight was an all or nothing affair. And the fight didn't disappoint - it was one of the best in the Hajime no Ippo saga to date.

Aion said:
Hajime no Ippo: Mashiba vs Kimura - 9/10

Great one hour special. It's too bad it isn't, as far as I'm aware, available to buy on DVD.

Watching it made me wish more episodes of the TV series had focused less on Ippo and him taking beatings and more more on the less important cast members. Prior to this special, Kimura had mainly been used for comedy purposes and/or Ippo match commentary, which usually involved him and Aoki saying something stupid and having Takamura correct him.

The special was different, however. In this special he was the main character, with the 'camera' following him and not Ippo. Kimura was very serious throughout because he had to prepare for a title fight against Mashiba; a monster of a boxer who most fear fighting. Because it'd taken him five years to get a shot at the title, he decided it'd be for the best if he quit in the event of him losing, so the fight was an all or nothing affair. And the fight didn't disappoint - it was one of the best in the Hajime no Ippo saga to date.

After the first season ended, is the point where the manga focuses heavily on the other characters, if i remember correctly, after champion road and the kimura OVA, that brings it up to around chapter 320 something of the manga, from then on until around after chapter 410 the series is entirely focused on the other cast bar 1 of ippo's fights. So the new challenger season is primarily all on the other characters which should please you :)

Yeah, I read that in the new/current series Takamura has a big fight. I'm hoping it lasts longer than a few minutes, unlike his other fights.

If the focus does start to shift from Ippo after the Champions Road special (which I'm yet to watch) then I'll probably like the sequel series more. After all, it *should* have better animation, it being newer than the original series, which was a bit of let down in terms of animation.

Back