Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Scrapped Princess

8/10

Some might disagree with the rating. I gave it because of the whole days of yore stuff. Can't resist that. Would have given 9 or 10 if there was a proper apocalypse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kite - 8/10

Given that the edited version of Kite has a running time of just 45 minutes, I found it surprisingly affecting. It's a somewhat depressing and disturbing story of an orphaned teenage girl named Sawa. When her parents are killed she's taken in by a corrupt detective who manipulates her into becoming an assassin for him. Kite's art is impressive, depiciting a dark, decaying urban environment; the animation is fluid when it needs to be; and the action scenes and level of violence on display is outrageous.

Kite Liberator - 4/10

Uh oh. The sequel has little in common with the original and concerns itself with a new female assassin, the bespectacled moe-bait Monaka, and --wait for it-- some ludicrous space monster b-movie bullcrap. Now this might have worked on some level had the show bothered to offer an explanation of, well, anything. But here I am, ten minutes after finishing it, and I'm trying to make sense of the absolute mess I just witnessed. Seriously, Umetsu, what the hell have you been smoking? If this is a joke, it's not funny. And the ending...!

Positives? Um, well, Monaka is the most adorable killer ever and shows her pants a lot. If nothing else, Umetsu knows how to draw women.

I managed to "acquire" the unedited version to see what I missed. Personally I prefer the film without the hardcore secks, much of which seems tacked on. According to an interview on the DVD, Yasuomi Umetsu only added the adult content because the production company requested it. Since they were stumping up the cash, Umetsu obliged.

Mezzo Forte is awesome as well. But the sex scenes in the unedited version of that show are even more pointless and jarring than Kite's. At least a couple of Kite's scenes serve a purpose.

Spyro201 said:
Prince of Tennis - 10/10

I just loved it- bar the filler.
Did you not find the anime to be quite slow at times? I stopped watching it due to the lack of pace even compared with the manga.

ilmaestro said:
Spyro201 said:
Prince of Tennis - 10/10

I just loved it- bar the filler.
Did you not find the anime to be quite slow at times? I stopped watching it due to the lack of pace even compared with the manga.

It does start off slow.

What episode did you get to?

It really does pick up. Also- I could reccomend, if it bugged you that much, to skip the filler Recreation arcs. I watched them, obviously, but, if it annoyed you, I guess you could skip them. In honesty, I thought it was quite fast. I'm used to 'battles' taking 2-3+ episodes with Bleach/Dragonball Z etc., so 1 episode Tennis matches, or in some cases less were a nice change :)

Hmm, maybe my memory's going, but I remembered the matches taking multiple eps which was why I stopped, I also usually have a tolerance for shounen anime dragging out slightly. I'll probably never go back to the anime just from a time perspective, but I did carry on with the manga (although I have some of that still to read).

ilmaestro said:
Hmm, maybe my memory's going, but I remembered the matches taking multiple eps which was why I stopped, I also usually have a tolerance for shounen anime dragging out slightly. I'll probably never go back to the anime just from a time perspective, but I did carry on with the manga (although I have some of that still to read).

Naw. But you did have the tournaments. Each match would take no longer than 1 episode (Until the Rikkaidai Arc where the longest is 1/5-2 eps?), however, you have multiple people playing. So you have Doubles 2, Doubles 1, Signles 3, Singles 2 and Singles 1. Obviously not all the time did everyone play, sometimes they'd win in 3 matches by Singles 3.

Kanon (2006) - 8/10

A teenage boy returns to the town in which he spent time as a ten-year-old, a time he doesn't remember too well. Staying with his hot aunt and cute cousin (those crazy Japanese), he attends school and has chance encounters with girls who seem to have some connection to his missing past.

The cynic in me wants to dismiss Kanon as wish-fulfillment fluff that shamelessly manipulates the audience with calculated tragedy and cute anime girls crying rivers of tears from their planet-sized eyes. And while that's true to an extent, Kanon, aside from one particular character's story, is actually rather subdued and keeps the melodrama to a minimum. All the characters are at least likeable, particularly in the English dub where teenage girls actually sound like teenage girls, and the interplay between them is entertaining. And though the fantasy elements require the viewer to suspend disbelief, they -- along with the nostalgic snowy scenery and gorgeous lighting -- bring a sense of dreamlike whimsy to the story. Its languid pace, humour, and warmth makes Kanon very easy to watch.

SundayMorningCall said:
Clannad (film) 8/10

it was good, but also very sad at the end

fabricatedlunatic said:
Kanon (2006) - 8/10

A teenage boy returns to the town in which he spent time as a ten-year-old, a time he doesn't remember too well. Staying with his hot aunt and cute cousin (those crazy Japanese), he attends school and has chance encounters with girls who seem to have some connection to his missing past.

The cynic in me wants to dismiss Kanon as wish-fulfillment fluff that shamelessly manipulates the audience with calculated tragedy and cute anime girls crying rivers of tears from their planet-sized eyes. And while that's true to an extent, Kanon, aside from one particular character's story, is actually rather subdued and keeps the melodrama to a minimum. All the characters are at least likeable, particularly in the English dub where teenage girls actually sound like teenage girls, and the interplay between them is entertaining. And though the fantasy elements require the viewer to suspend disbelief, they -- along with the nostalgic snowy scenery and gorgeous lighting -- bring a sense of dreamlike whimsy to the story. Its languid pace, humour, and warmth makes Kanon very easy to watch.

I agree with he scores for the above for the series of each (I have not seen the Clannad film).

I think however I may well prefer Kanon as a whole. Whilst probably a bit more fanciful in its approach to the story, that story is stronger. Though if you are feeling a bit emotionally tender it is at times quite hard to watch. On the other hand Clannad even though there are serious moments and the story is not exactly light, it feels more of an easy watch. The comedy elements mixing well with everything else going on.

I'm a big Kanon fan myself. I've been told Clannad is a slightly more positive show on the whole, despite having its fair share of sadness.
Without spoiling anything, can anyone confirm this for me?

I'm 18 episodes through Clannad and it's a less subtle show than Kanon, both in terms of comedy and emotional scenes. The characters are less interesting to me, too. I personally find the show's pacing awkward, and the transition from slapstick comedy to overwraught drama somewhat jarring. Whether or not it's more positive than Kanon is a matter of perspective, I suppose. Kanon was, for me, more uplifiting than depressing.

Chrome Shelled Regios 9/10.I know it's only on the fansubs sites at the moment but I really hope some company picks up the rights and brings it out on region 1 or 2 or both.
I'm up to episode 17 of a 24 episode run ,no word yet on a second season but I hope they do one as the story and the characters are good.I can't quite put my finger on why I like this show but I just do. :D

Afro Samurai: Resurrection - 5/10

Despite it's brainless style over substance revenge story I kind of liked the original Afro Samurai, I have a harder time defending Resurrection. While the art and animation were superb (as expected given the bloated budget), the scripting and progression of the story were of an appallingly low standard.

The highpoint of the whole film was Afro's battle with Shichigoro, after that it went straight down the sewer. The main villain Sio was terrible - instead of being complex or charismatic, all we get is a skimpily clad psycho with large breasts. Even the final battle was a complete letdown. On a level I guess it could be enjoyed for being 'so-bad-it's-good', but ultimately it was just dull.

I really wanted to enjoy this, but even approaching it expecting a weak story with some decent action I felt let down.

Back