[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

Lutga said:
Is IGPX even a show that people remember fondly enough that it warrants such extensive remastering treatment? Didn't it absolutely bomb on its initial release?

I don't mind IGPX. It's not by any means jaw droppingly awesome, but I was very pleasantly surprised by it. Some of the animation away from the race is really very good. There was one scene from the first season where one of the characters is practicing kendo that made me sit up and go 'Huh. This show got some game.'

Plus, there are never enough robot racing anime.

Discotek have announced they have acquired Lupin the Third: Voyage to Danger.

The film/special was first released by Funimation on its own and as part of the First Haul movie collection (now OOP). The Discotek version will include the Funimation English dub.

So far Discotek have the following Lupins:
- Special 01: Bye Bye, Lady Liberty
- Special 02: The Hemingway Papers
- Special 03: Napoleon's Dictionary
- Special 04: From Siberia with Love
- Special 05: Voyage to Danger
- Special 14: Episode 0: The First Contact
- OVA 01: The Fuma Conspiracy (Out of Print)
- OVA 03: Green vs. Red
- OVA 04: Lupin III vs. Detective Conan
- Film 01: The Mystery of Mamo
- Film 02: The Castle of Cagliostro
- Film 06: Lupin III vs. Detective Conan the Movie
- Film 07: Jigen's Gravestone
- Series 01: Part 1 (+ Pilot Film)

WOW. DVD-R?

Really?

I'd like to think that was a case of somebody speaking in error and using the wrong terminology. But if it IS the case, and a distributor is actually selling media to the public on DVD-R, that's something that people absolutely need to register their disapproval of at source.

As I understand it, DVD-R has a finite lifespan. I'd expect to receive dodgy bootleg DVDs on that kind of media - not officially licensed product. Especially at today's asking prices.

Asking money for media with the built-in promise that it'll eventually be useless? Completely unacceptable.

I can't even understand why as duplication is (as far as I'm aware) MORE expensive than replication. At least for a couple of hundred+ units...

Checking Media Blasters' Facebook page (where, yes, I've left a comment) it appears they're due to make a formal statement on the subject.

I'm REALLY hoping there's some detail, a point of miscommunication or something similar that clears this up and offers some reassurance. Because I simply can't for the life of me understand why a distributor would entertain such a thing. I can't wrap my head around why fans would accept it, either.

Well, my post on the MB Facebook page garnered this response:

"I understand what you are saying but I have to disagree with your conclusion that DVD-R has a short life span. It all depends on the DVD-R media and the burner.

I believe people think we are using a tower and inkjet printer that you could find online. We are using industrial grade, thermal printing machines that are used by the studios. The difference in print and burn quality can not be compared. The cost of our DVD-Rs are much higher and higher in quality than pressed discs. Pressed discs cost about 10 cents or so each while we pay closer to 40 cents each for higher grade on DVD 5 side now on the DVD 9 we are buying verbatim top lime that can go up to about 80 cents or more each while the pressed DVD 9s are going for may be 25 cents.

But honestly this is not the reason you buy the DVD is cause of the media, it is cause of the transfer being used. A 1080p broadcast burned BD of a show will never look as good or sharp as a BD burned from the original source. You buy from the publisher cause you are getting from the quality, not the media.

Not to mention all the other stuff I mentioned earlier of print quality."

Time to do some research, I think.

Personally, I can see Media Blasters having a really hard time selling fans on this. And I'm wary simply because they're opting for a different method than everybody else in the game is using.

For now, though, I certainly don't want this to set a precedent.

The general consensus I've heard about DVD on demand technology (based mostly on Amazon.com's on demand pressings) is that it's a complete disaster, and errors are quite common. Their set-up doesn't sound exactly the same, but if somebody big, with lots of money can't get it right, I'd be surprised if these guys could.

I've had a look at some info already about things like the difference between DVD 5 and DVD 9 formats, looking for reassurances to back up what Media Blasters have told me above. So far, nothing really supports it, but then I should point out that I'm having difficulty finding articles online that directly address these concerns.

To be blunt, though, I'd just as soon nobody bothered with home video releases of anime if they can't do it the way Funimation, Anime Limited, et al have been with regard to the media used. Regardles of what the guy said in his post, the reason I buy anime on physical media is so that I can KEEP it.

Ironically, I'd be inclined to have less faith in an operation like Amazon than a company that was dedicatedly in the business of selling DVDs. Just lobbing that comment in for the sake of fairness.

But, on a purely instinctual level, I do not like this development at all.

As mentioned in the Anime Expo thread, Aniplex of America have announced the following:

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works will be coming to Blu-ray and DVD starting with Box Set 1 on August 25th.

The Blu-ray version will provide the following content across 4 Blu-ray discs; Episodes 00-12, Original Soundtrack I, 24 page Deluxe Booklet, Trailer, TV Spot, Commercial, and Promo Video Collections, Textless Opening and Ending, and an exclusive collectible Weis Schwarz PR card while supplies last. The limited edition will also include a double-sided wrap for the Blu-ray Disc case, and a chipboard box featuring an illustration by the original character designer Takashi Takeuchi. It will be priced at SRP $219.98 with a store price of $179.98.

The DVD version will provide the following content across 3 DVD discs; Episodes 00-12, textless opening and ending video extras. The set will retail for US$99.98 with a store price of $79.98.

The English dub cast was also revealed:
Shirou Emiya: Bryce Papenbrook
Rin Tohsaka: Mela Lee
Saber: Kari Wahlgren
Archer: Kaiji Tang
Sakura Matou: Cristina Vee
Illyasviel von Einzbern: Stephanie Sheh
Souichirou Kuzuki: Lex Lang
Lancer: Tony Oliver
Caster: Megan Hollingshead
Assassin: Todd Haberkorn
Rider: Melissa Fahn
Taiga Fujimura: Julie Ann Taylor
Shinji Matou: Kyle McCarley
Issei Ryudo: Robbie Daymond
Kirei Kotomine: Crispin Freeman
Kiritsugu Emiya: Matthew Mercer
Blond Servant: David Earnest
Shirou Emiya (Child): Mona Marshall
Ayako Mitsuzuri: Brina Palencia
Yukika Saegusa: Jessica diCicco
Kaede Makidera: Erica Lindbeck
Kane Himuro: Dorothy Fahn

Tony Oliver will also serve as English voice director and ADR script writer.

Durarara!! X2 Shou, the first part of three in the second season, will be coming to Blu-ray and DVD starting with Volume 1 on September 29th and Volume 2 on November 24th.

Both formats will provide the following content for Volume 1; Episodes 01-06, 16 page Booklet, Illustration Postcards, Pre-Broadcast Cast Talk Show, a Textless Opening and Ending, a package illustrated by character designer Takahiro Kishida, and clear cases with two-sided wraps. It will be priced at SRP $99.98 with a store price of $79.98 on Blu-ray, while SRP $59.98 with a store price of $49.98 on DVD.

Both formats will provide the similar content for Volume 2: Episodes 07-12, Episode 4.5, 16 page Booklet, Illustration Postcards, a package illustrated by character designer Takahiro Kishida, and clear cases with two-sided wraps. Same pricing as Volume 1.

Tsukimonogatari, the first arc in the Monogatari series: Final Season, will be coming to Blu-ray on September 15th.

The Blu-ray set will provide the following content across 2 Blu-ray discs; Episodes 01-04 of Yotsugi Doll, Textless Opening and Ending, PVs and Commercials, Deluxe Booklet, Pin-up Postcards, and a package illustrated by the character designer. It will be priced at SRP $64.98 with a store price of $49.98.

And last but certainly not the least (especially since it's one heck of a surprise), Your lie in April (Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso) will be given an English dub. It's also been confirmed that GOD EATER is the first non-Aniplex title to be licensed by the distributor so it looks like they aren't restricted to Aniplex only titles from now on.

Funimation have leaked out way ahead of their Industry panel that they will be releasing Fullmetal Alchemist, the original first series which had an anime original end, on Blu-ray.

The series will be out on September 15th.
Specs:
6 Blu-ray discs
SD Remaster (Upscale)
Dolby TrueHD: English 2.0 and Japanese 2.0
Region A

Artwork in Overseas Artwork thread

Collector's Edition - $329.98
Episode Commentaries
The Transmutation of a Phenomenon: An Inside Look
Japanese Commercial
L’Arc~en~Ciel ''Ready Steady Go'' Video
Ura Hagane: Comedic Previews
Textless Songs
U.S.Trailer
Trailers

Limited Edition - $129.98
Episode Commentaries
Japanese Commercial
L’Arc~en~Ciel “Ready Steady Go” Video
Textless Opening Songs: Melissa, Ready Steady Go, Undo, Rewrite
Textless Closing Songs: Indelible Sin, To the Other Side of the Door, Motherland, I Will
U.S.Trailer
Trailers

Standard Edition - $64.98
Episode Commentaries
Japanese Commercial
L’Arc~en~Ciel “Ready Steady Go” Video
Textless Opening Songs: Melissa, Ready Steady Go, Undo, Rewrite
Textless Closing Songs: Indelible Sin, To the Other Side of the Door, Motherland, I Will
U.S.Trailer
Trailers

NormanicGrav said:
Episode Commentaries
Japanese Commercial
Textless Songs
U.S.Trailer
Trailers
Wut? It's nice they're doing the original FMA on Bluray, but no Funi release is worth $329.

Mangaranga said:
NormanicGrav said:
Episode Commentaries
Japanese Commercial
Textless Songs
U.S.Trailer
Trailers
Wut? It's nice they're doing the original FMA on Bluray, but no Funi release is worth $329.
I think Funi are getting unhelpful tips from AniplexUSA

I'd definitely be up for that standard edition, too bad it's Region A. Seeing as FMA is a huge title, I assume that someone, probably Manga, will pick it up here.

Gemsy-chan said:
I think Funi are getting unhelpful tips from AniplexUSA
I'd pay that for Aniplex releases though considering they're the Japanese BDs with Dub/Sub options added. $329 for an American quality release (especially one that's an upscale) just isn't worth it. Funi's previous exclusive collectors editions have also been pretty crappy too. Not sure who came up with the idea for them, or still, who thought they were a good idea.

Any news of a DVD edition for the Full Metal Alchemist re-release? I'd have thought that would only make sense.

The standard edition is a bargain - that works out at around £40 quid for around 50 eps on Blu-Rays, pretty decent. And I imagine a native UK release could even go down to £35 depending on how good the Amazon price eventually went down to.

Back