[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

A US distributor called Twilight Time will be releasing Space Pirate Captain Harlock on Blu-ray for the first time in North America. This may be the best version to come out so far as it comes with a 3 disc set featuring the International version and the Director's Cut version on Blu-ray in 2D and 3D formats as well as extra features:
And since there has been such speculation about this project, we will confirm that one of our December titles is CAPTAIN HARLOCK: SPACE PIRATE (2013), which will be our first-ever 3-disc blu-ray set. We are presenting 3-D and 2-D versions of both the Japanese and International Cuts, along with a separate disc comprised of copious extras - quite the package for anime fans! We recognize that this is unusual territory for us, but we were offered the opportunity because of our relationship with Toei Animation - (TT co-founder Brian Jamieson was Toei's marketing consultant for the worldwide release of the film) - and consequently we have been allowed to release the most comprehensive package for this movie on blu-ray anywhere in the world. We are proud to be associated with it, and hope there's at least a few of you that will take pleasure in some truly dazzling visuals - James Cameron, who has enthusiastically endorsed the project, considers Aramaki to be one of the greatest anime directors out there -- hop on board and try it -- you never know, you might like it!

NormanicGrav said:
A US distributor called Twilight Time will be releasing Space Pirate Captain Harlock on Blu-ray for the first time in North America. This may be the best version to come out so far as it comes with a 3 disc set featuring the International version and the Director's Cut version on Blu-ray in 2D and 3D formats as well as extra features:
Twilight Time releases are limited one print run deals. From what I've heard it's a "one guy in his garage" type enterprise. They have an abysmal reputation for never reissuing titles, even if they sell out before release date, and I believe there was a bit of controversy after they stopped suppling review copies to Blu-ray.com because they gave one of their releases a poor review. Other than that, I haven't heard too many complaints about their releases.

I get the feeling that TT branching out into anime will only be a disappointment, especially if they get anything big.

NormanicGrav said:
Funimation October Line-Up is slowly unveiled:

Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero - Complete Series: S.A.V.E. Edition
Release Date: October 6th | Region: 1,2,4 | Format: DVD | Languages: English/Japanese | Price (SRP): $29.98
Special Features: Actor Commentaries, Original Videos: Vol. 1-6, Promotional Videos, Akatsuki Promo Video, Haruka Promo Video, Miu Promo Video, Textless Songs, U.S. Trailer, Trailers

Fairy Tail - Part 17 (Series 2 Part 2) ~ Episodes 188-199
Release Date: October 6th | Region: A/1 | Format: Blu-ray & DVD | Languages: English/Japanese | Price (SRP): $54.98
Special Features: TBA

Another batch has been revealed:

Dance in the Vampire Bund - Complete Series: S.A.V.E. Edition
Release Date: October 27th | Region: 1,2,4 | Format: DVD | Languages: English/Japanese | Price (SRP): $29.98
Special Features: Intermission 1-12, Original Commercials, Promo Video, Textless Songs, Trailers

Ghost in the Shell: ARISE - borders 3 & 4
Release Date: October 13th | Region: A/1 | Format: Blu-ray & DVD | Languages: English/Japanese | Price (SRP): $39.98
Special Features: Inside the World of Ghost in the Shell Part 1, Blu-ray & DVD Spots, Memory of GR –Making of Arise–, Promotional Videos, Commercial, Theatrical Trailers, Textless Openings, Textless Closing, Logicoma Root, border:less project, COLOR FORESEEING 2007 WORKING HIGH memory, Yuki Will Never Forget Kenji, Ghost in the Shell New Movie Teaser, U.S. Trailer, Trailers

One Piece - Season 7 Voyage 3 ~ Episodes 410-421
Release Date: October 27th | Region: 1 | Format: DVD | Languages: English/Japanese | Price (SRP): $39.98
Special Features: Episode Commentaries, U.S. Video Extras, Textless Songs, Trailers

I don't know what's going on with this line-up so there's probably some speculation happening. The Fairy Tail price has gone up due to Universal and there's barely any 'huge' titles added on here. Perhaps Funimation is saving the big guns for Otakon (24th-26th).

---

Meanwhile NIS America will be releasing more standard edition sets: Daily Lives of High School Boys (Blu-ray) and Natsume's Book of Friends Season 3 (Blu-ray/DVD) on August 4th.

Section23 Films November Line-up:

Angelic Layer - Complete Collection: Sentai Selects
Release Date: November 24th | Region: 1 | Format: DVD | Languages: English/Japanese | Price (SRP): $49.98
Special Features: Commentaries with Actors and Director; Production Artwork; Clean Opening Animation; Clean Closing Animation

Blue Spring Ride - Complete Collection - 1 DISC RELEASE
Release Date: November 10th | Region: Geo-locked USA/1 | Format: Blu-ray/DVD | Languages: Japanese | Price (SRP): $59.98/$49.98
Special Features: Clean Opening Animation; Clean Closing Animation

DRAMAtical Murder - Complete Collection
Release Date: November 24th | Region: Geo-locked USA/1 | Format: Blu-ray/DVD | Languages: English/Japanese | Price (SRP): $69.98/$59.98

Gatchaman: The Movie - Film
Release Date: November 17th | Region: Geo-locked USA/1 | Format: Blu-ray/DVD | Languages: English/Japanese | Price (SRP): $39.98/$29.98
Special Features: TBA

Glasslip - Complete Collection
Release Date: November 3rd | Region: Geo-locked USA/1 | Format: Blu-ray/DVD | Languages: Japanese | Price (SRP): $59.98/$49.98

He is My Master - Complete Collection: Sentai Selects
Release Date: November 3rd | Region: 1 | Format: DVD | Languages: Japanese | Price (SRP): $29.98
Special Features: Japanese Promos; Interview with Producer; Clean Opening Animation; Clean Closing Animation

Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb - Complete Collection
Release Date: November 3rd | Region: 1 | Format: DVD | Languages: Japanese | Price (SRP): $49.98

Invaders of the Rokujyoma!? - Complete Collection - 1 DISC RELEASE
Release Date: November 17th | Region: Geo-locked USA/1 | Format: Blu-ray/DVD | Languages: Japanese | Price (SRP): $59.98/$49.98

La Corda D'Oro: Blue Sky - Complete Collection - 1 DISC RELEASE
Release Date: November 10th | Region: Geo-locked USA/1 | Format: Blu-ray/DVD | Languages: Japanese | Price (SRP): $59.98/$49.98

TBS is holding back the Blu-ray version of Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb for those wondering.

NormanicGrav said:
Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb - Complete Collection
Release Date: November 3rd | Region: 1 | Format: DVD | Languages: Japanese | Price (SRP): $49.98
Finally!

NormanicGrav said:
TBS is holding back the Blu-ray version of Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb for those wondering.
Arrgh!

Well, at least this is progress. I might get the DVD, although maybe I'll hold off to see what MVM are doing with the first season (might be as well to wait until they catch up if they're doing Blu-ray releases).

I'd also consider getting Ao Haru Ride and the Rokujyoma thing at least.

NormanicGrav said:
The only release that I'm remotely interested in and they ****ed it over. Sentai as a whole are getting closer to Khazi territory in my mind.
It'd be nice if more Japanese companies would start including English subtitles for their volumes/complete BD-Boxes so we have an alternative to crap like this.

Aniplex of America have announced new details for Volumes 2 and 3 of The Irregular at Magic High School.

Volume 2 will contain the following:
- Episodes 08-18 (Nine Schools Competition Arc)
- Japanese audio with English subtitles
- 3 Blu-ray discs (possibly 4-4-3 split)
- Textless Opening 2
- Textless Ending 1
- Get to Know Magic Studies! #4-5 (Short Videos)
- Box and Collectable Pin-ups Illustrated by KANA ISHIDA (Character Design)
- Special Booklet

Price point for Volume 2 is SRP $139.98 (~£90.29). It is 11 episodes after all.

Volume 3 will contain the following:
- Episodes 19-26 (Yokohama Disturbance Arc)
- Japanese audio with English subtitles
- 2 Blu-ray discs (possibly 4-4 split)
- Textless Ending 2
- Get to Know Magic Studies! #6 (Short Video)
- Box and Collectable Pin-ups Illustrated by KANA ISHIDA (Character Design)
- Special Booklet

Price point for Volume 3 is SRP $99.98 (~£64.49). It is 8 episodes after all.

It's been reported that Aniplex's release of ALDNOAH.ZERO will have a 192 stereo English track (probably means a lossy Dolby Digital 2.0) instead of a 24bit LPCM. The Japanese audio track is still LPCM as usual. They probably ran out of space on the discs and prioritised on the Japanese track.

NormanicGrav said:
It's been reported that Aniplex's release of ALDNOAH.ZERO will have a 192 stereo English track (probably means a lossy Dolby Digital 2.0) instead of a 24bit LPCM. The Japanese audio track is still LPCM as usual. They probably ran out of space on the discs and prioritised on the Japanese track.
Wut. There's literally no reason for this. It's nothing to do with disc space since it's never been an issue with previous releases that had DD audio. Even for volume 5 of Kill La Kill where disc space was an issue they just reduced the video bitrate slightly rather than the audio.

They're slowly trying to sabotage English dubs on their home media release so that it gets to a point where everyone watches the Japanese language version, even people who usually only watch English dubs so they can stop paying for dubs and just release things sub only......not really, but yes, makes no sense.

I'm glad they prioritised things that way around but man, that is a weird decision to have to make in the first place and sucks for dub fans. Maybe it's time to ask Andrew whether the UK version can be looked at?

R

Surely its the least of Aldnoah Zero's problems? ZING!

Gotta say, it doesn't make the blindest bit of sense to me, based on what little I know about physical media. I like the dub sabotage theory, though - even if I do find it highly unlikely. It paints a picture of Mr. Aniplex sitting behind his desk, twirling his moustache and cackling about how he's going to get the fans this time. MUAHAHAHAHA!

I have to admit, the whole climate re. Dubs does seem to be getting into a weird situation. On one hand, you have Funi pushing simuldubs, but who knows how long that will last? You're seeing more and more unknowns coming through, who are no doubt cheaper to hire. And as pointed out above, more sub only releases. In an age where the passion for a show often lasts only as long as it's steaming, we could see a case where it's really only the top tier (potential future Toonami fodder) gets a dub.

Mangaranga said:
NormanicGrav said:
The only release that I'm remotely interested in and they ****ed it over. Sentai as a whole are getting closer to Khazi territory in my mind.
It'd be nice if more Japanese companies would start including English subtitles for their volumes/complete BD-Boxes so we have an alternative to crap like this.
12 episodes on one disc with a single language track is not being screwed over. It's what Warner Bros. would do with a live action series, and you can generally get away with lower bitrates for animation. Based on the expected contents alone there is absolutely no reason why they set won't/can't look fantastic.

That said for $50 USD I'd expect something a little better than that.

Mangaranga said:
Even for volume 5 of Kill La Kill where disc space was an issue they just reduced the video bitrate slightly rather than the audio.
I would guess it was to be consistent with Kill la Kill. People may have been annoyed if the first 4 releases had lossless audio for both but lossy on the last volume.

If it wasn't to be consistent then why not do the same with all their dual audio release. Reduce the video bitrate a little to allow for two lossless tracks rather than one lossless and one lossy.

You said "it's never been an issue with previous releases that had DD audio". I assume you're talking about it being 192kbps, but wasn't Fate/Zero 192kbps.

Funi announced they have the rights to (The original) Speed Racer and will issue a BR Boxset.

Everyone at the pannel expecing DB Super was left twisting in the wind.

ilmaestro said:
That's a much cooler announcement, though.
Maybe, but acknowlgement would have gone a long way to make it less of a sting, yaknow?

Even a cursury "We're working on it" would have made that less of a flip off.

Back