Never heard of it, but it sounds pretty cool.

1a5cf74930e3f840d1e4722a243ba2c61452284006_full.jpg

Rakugo Shinjuu is a historical josei show that aired in the Winter 2016 season and animated by studio DEEN. I haven't heard much on the story though I think it's about a drama play of sorts. Many people have said it's one of the best shows of that season, and a second season has been green-lit.

I'm re-watching Tenchi GXP now. I got the Funimation Viridian collection back when Revelation announced it but didn't release it. It's a show of its time, probably the best Nabeshin show out there. It certainly bears up better under rewatching than Excel Saga or Puni Puni Poemy. It's at its best when it crosses over with the Tenchi OVAs (It was bit of a prequel for OVA 3), but it's not a show that I'd have considered pouncing on the licence.

EDIT: Unless Eva 1.11 gets a reauthor, either by Funimation or AL, the only difference will be in the accoutrements and the packaging. It'll be the same disc.

Last edited:
Kind of feels weird with Anime Ltd having part of Tenchi, as MVM are releasing OG Tenchi. I wonder how the rest of the property will get split between them?

Did Rakugo get a dub planned? I'd be interested in checking that out if so.

Presumably Tenchi GXP will have a release like Beck? Can't see a Blu around?

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu has my interest, seems like a show I'd enjoy.

OMG ANIME LIMITED IS RELEASING RAKUGO!!!! I'M CRYING RIGHT NOW, THANK YOU! ANDREW, IF I SEE YOU, I'M GOING TO KISS YOU OR SHAKE YOUR HAND OR SOMETHING. AHHHH!

Back