MCM London Comic Con October 2015 Announcements

HellCat said:
From what I've heard from other sources, there's a range of factors aggrivating pushing Gundam in the UK. Some of this is simple lack of interest (Tamashii Nations pushes obvious sellers like DBZ and Marvel yet somehow Sailor Moon, which has hardly had a recent push here and yet apparently out performs Gundam) and some is apparently bizarre legal redtape.

I'm not really sure how you'd tackle lack of interest. The Origin screening had attendance but Love Live straight after flattened it. Plus based on reactions both here and in person some who attended the screening and/or panel weren't even fans, so that lowers the numbers even futher. I get the feeling it's why Iron Blooded Orphans is the way it is, like Sunrise wanted a Gundam that was following the global waves caused by Attack on Titan.

I started watching '79 i find it so much more intresting as IBO Feels slow for a 25 ep show

Buzz201 said:
I don't know, I didn't see the show in question, but I feel like most zombie fans aren't interested in PTSD, and most PTSD fans aren't interested in zombies, who has the show trying to appeal to? Also, twist beginnings are a double edged sword, as it can give off the impression the show has played it's hand too soon or that the show is going to become some ridiculous Trance-style twist every other minute nonsense, and as much as I love Danny Boyle, I couldn't sit through 12 episodes of that...
Probably my mental illness made me love the PTSD plotline and her friends way to help her

Nothing for me from any of the announcements but I wasn't fooling myself going in so I'm not surprised in the least. Looking at Anime Limited over the 3 days, nothing for me at all. Same goes for Manga/Ani and MVM. If I had to push myself I'd say...The Murder Case of Hana & Alice is the only thing I can see myself watching here. I already had it on my To Watch List so it's obvious that I already had my eye on it but being a prequel to a Live action..eh who knows.

Everything else here I wouldn't watch at all but looking at it objectively, there seems to be something here for most people with a few of them having potential to be great sellers if marketed correctly. As it stands, somebody else here put it perfectly, plenty of other things for me to spend my money and time on. Everybody else? Knock yourselves out :p

Catching up on the updates, it's been interesting although there are still plenty of titles high on my list that haven't been announced. I suspect my tastes tend towards not being the type of thing likely to be released here. That said, I do have somewhat wide taste so there are still quite a few things I'm at least interested in that were announced.

I think I'll most likely get these:
Haruhi Season 1 BD
My Love Story
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU

I'm quite likely to get these:
Hana & Alice
Snow White with the Red Hair
School Live

I'm also somewhat interested in:
Amagi Brilliant Park
Anthem of the Heart
Claymore (BD)
Expelled from Paradise
Monster Musume

I'll probably do some watching/research before making final decisions. To be fair, I do have some interest in most of the shows that were announced but I'm probably buying too much as it is so I'll have to think about it. Humanity Has Declined is a tough one because I've already got a copy but it'd be nice to support the UK release (not sure that'd be a good enough reason to spend so much money on it though). The Gundam shows will probably depend on if I like the original Gundam when it's released.

Since I've actually seen My Love Story, I should probably say it's something I'll certainly buy. It might have been nice to get something extra with an Anime Limited Collector's Edition, though just getting the show on Blu-ray is enough (and it may yet end up getting some kind of extras).

On the subject of Shirobako, I'll probably just pick up the Sentai release as soon as it's out so if one of the companies is waiting till then to announce it then at least it's not a huge wait. I'd probably be too happy to pick up a nice fancy UK release (especially from Anime Limited) even after buying the Sentai one so I wonder if it'd really happen.

I wouldn't say that the extremely strong Love Live attendance flattened Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin. Not only is Love Live a mighty beast on its own accord, but I knew a number of people who attended purely for Gundam and left straight after the showing; which was also the only one barring Love Live to have cosplayers and garner a round of applause (being part of an established franchise likely helped with that :p).

The only film from MCM Loves Anime that I would say had a questionable attendance was Empire Of Corpses, which likely struggled due to being the last on the bill with a late finishing time (I think the film ended just after 9pm; so I didn't actually get back to my home in Cambridge until about midnight).

Joshawott said:
I wouldn't say that the extremely strong Love Live attendance flattened Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin. Not only is Love Live a mighty beast on its own accord, but I knew a number of people who attended purely for Gundam and left straight after the showing; which was also the only one barring Love Live to have cosplayers and garner a round of applause (being part of an established franchise likely helped with that :p).

The only film from MCM Loves Anime that I would say had a questionable attendance was Empire Of Corpses, which likely struggled due to being the last on the bill with a late finishing time (I think the film ended just after 9pm; so I didn't actually get back to my home in Cambridge until about midnight).

Also, The Origin has been on PPV for months now, this is only Love Live's second screening in the UK (first in a place that's reasonable to get to), and probably the last for quite some time.

This is the first time I've seen Anime Ltd announce more than 4-5 titles in one convention. Overall it's a great selection of titles for everyone (except Kaze for obvious reasons) and this is also the first time that I've seen Manga UK not even announcing a single thing.

Also these lot are from Showgate:
Brother's Conflict
Prison School
Selector Infected Wixoss
Snow White with the Red Hair

License bundle anyone? :lol:

Buzz201 said:
Also, The Origin has been on PPV for months now, this is only Love Live's second screening in the UK (first in a place that's reasonable to get to), and probably the last for quite some time.
The first episode yes. The second episode isn't released until next week, this was its first screening outside of Japan

Joshawott said:

It certainly felt like the Love Live audience was substantially bigger. Gundam certainly did have cosplayers (I might have been the 'Amuro' on the lower left side...) but Love Live just seemed to outdo it in interest. Even the sole attendance freebie was LL themed

(Though that was really nice card those posters were printed on.)

Buzz201 said:
Joshawott said:

Not Artesia's sorrow thats not out till Saturday

thedoctor2016 said:

If you're only interested in Gundam do you pay for an MCM Loves Anime ticket to watch it interrupted by a bunch of ********s? or do you wait a week and watch it, presumably for a cheaper price, on PPV?

That's also one thing to keep in mind, not interested in either property obviously but it makes sense that Love Live would have the higher attendance rate as I'd imagine Love Live lends itself to that type of showing more than Gundam.

Wow, that is a lot of new licences (especially from AL, I really hope they can get all these out in a decent time). Anyway, I'll definitely be getting Expelled from Paradise and Selector Infected Wixoss. Snow White with the Red Hair, Attack on Titan Junior High, School Live and Food Wars will depend on them getting dubbed (though the former two are licenced by Funimation so it's unlikely they won't be dubbed). One Punch Man will depend on getting a dub and Kaze not totally f-ing it up. I have some interest in Gate, Monster Musume, Anthem of the Heart, Code Geass and Tokyo ESP. I'll Get Haruhi and Claymore if AL do something nice with them since I already own the DVDs. I'll also definitely be getting Fate/Stay Night.

Re: MCM Comic Con October 2015 Announcements - Day 1: Animatsu/Manga UK Panel Started

BanzaiJedi said:
A sports anime being released in the UK? I didn't think I'd ever see the day.
Poor Bamboo Blade.

britguy said:
NormanicGrav said:
My guess is FUNi is entering the UK market next year.
Blimey, as long as they can do releases of the same quality as their USA arm, then this could be really good for anime fans like myself who do not import.
For a time when they were last directly active in the UK via Revelation, we got the same limited edition boxes with first volumes as the US for shows like Beck and... what was the pink one? That went so well that some of those shows are still incomplete even now....

HellCat said:
Prison School is a licence I'm iffy on, mainly because nothing I've seen from it hints at a plot and just institutionalised violence.
I finally watched it recently and enjoyed it a lot more than I expected for reasons I can't explain.

Buzz201 said:
thedoctor2016 said:

If you're only interested in Gundam do you pay for an MCM Loves Anime ticket to watch it interrupted by a bunch of ********s? or do you wait a week and watch it, presumably for a cheaper price, on PPV?

The Gundam showing went well for me. There was odd chatter and people deciding the mere minutes between episodes was time to get up and talk but beyond a negative reaction to one melodramatic moment it was a good experience.

Love Live apparently attracted the "best girl" crowd who didn't realise they're not as funny as they think and that no one wants to hear you gushing over your waifu/dropping 4chan memes. It was actually uncomfortable.

HellCat said:
Love Live apparently attracted the "best girl" crowd who didn't realise they're not as funny as they think and that no one wants to hear you gushing over your waifu/dropping 4chan memes. It was actually uncomfortable.

Pretty sure you just got unlucky with where you were sitting there. I didn't hear anyone doing anything like that. In all honesty if I had I'd have moved, even if it meant having a worse seat.

Re: MCM Comic Con October 2015 Announcements - Day 1: Animatsu/Manga UK Panel Started

Shiroi Hane said:
HellCat said:
Prison School is a licence I'm iffy on, mainly because nothing I've seen from it hints at a plot and just institutionalised violence.
I finally watched it recently and enjoyed it a lot more than I expected for reasons I can't explain.

Yeah, I don't think the marketing for Prison School is great. I personally thought it was way closer in tone to The Inbetweeners or American Pie or Workaholics than the marketing suggests. It doesn't help that it's gained a reputation as "the BDSM show", which is a half-accurate half-ridiculous description, that nobody seems to be challenging too much.

I personally expected to hate it from the way people talked about it, but aside from some lag in the middle and a not great first episode, I really enjoyed it.

I was there for 3 of them... I skipped out on Gundam, Ironically the one I would have probably enjoyed the most. But as I'd been up since 7am and felt physically exhausted after Miss Hokusai I decided that I couldn't get through all of the films and attend the party that night. Gundam got cut as it seemed like I would be missing the least - I already own part I and will be picking up part II in the not-too-distant future. So went back to the hotel for a couple hours sleep.

Didn't hear much in the way of 4chan memes myself during Love Live, although I don't really know what qualifies as one these days so maybe I did.

Back