Luna’s Adventures in English

Like I mentioned above, while "highway" is in fact a very old term that was once used in British English (think "highwayman") it isn't used in the UK to refer to modern roads, at least not in everyday speech.
The one exception that springs to mind is the saying "It's my way or the highway", meaning do what I want or go away (more or less).

I do a lot of driving for my job and there are dual carriageways in my area that range from 30 all the way to the national speed limit of 70
Huh. Seems you can do 70 on dual carriageways now. Pretty sure you didn't used to be able to. Not sure that would be advisable on any of the ones I know, but the North East is a horrible twisted mess of roads that haven't been fit for purpose in decades. You're lucky if you can do 50 with all the congestion. I wish I'd been able to experience the dawn of motoring, when roads were empty and driving could always be fun...

And so as not to fry poor Luna's brain any further, I personally don't ever hear anyone say "single carriageways". While technically a correct term, I think most people would just call those "roads".

Most people call dual carriageways motorways (even thought that is a legal term). But who can blame them, drive on the A2 near Dartford and its easy to see why people would get confused. (4 lanes wide each side, fast road and a hard shoulder)

A single carriageway would just be a carriageway, and since only the Queen and Funeral directors still use carriages, you don't need to use the term so much. Although technically cars can still be considered horseless carriages...

4 lanes wide each side, fast road and a hard shoulder
But if it has all those things surely it is a motorway? The bits of the A1 that have been upgraded have been reclassified as the A1(M) and designated as such.

All the roads I know locally that people refer to as dual carriageways are simply two lanes each side like the A66, the A19 and the A174. Maybe they've been upgraded everywhere else...

Most people call dual carriageways motorways (even thought that is a legal term). But who can blame them, drive on the A2 near Dartford and its easy to see why people would get confused. (4 lanes wide each side, fast road and a hard shoulder)
In the good old fashioned British way the general rules are bent all over the place like this road probably should be the A2(M) or even the M2 which the same road becomes further towards the coast.

I know of Motorways with only 2 lanes and one (the M8) has a 50 speed limit dispite being a big one, which nearly caught me out once. There might be others, maybe the M6 through Birmingham, but you normally crawl through there in a traffic jam!

But if it has all those things surely it is a motorway?

That is where the confusion lies, It does it mean it is legal to walk up it / horse / cycle or drive a mobility scooter along it (and your right to).

Like in London its the opposite. Near the Blackwall Tunnels there are restrictions on who can travel on the road (From its days when it used to be classified as a motorway)

Like it is legal (but probably silly) to do 70MPH up this road Google Maps

Plenty of oddities around the country with regards to roads.

Motorways are designed to carry heavy traffic at high speed with the lowest possible number of accidents. They are also designed to collect long-distance traffic from other roads, so that conflicts between long-distance traffic and local traffic are avoided.

Also the technical name of a Motorway is Controlled-access highway also known as Expressway in some parts of North America.

Now I know more about English roads than German roads, lol. (<--- has no drivers license)

Just to throw in something else:
image95352.png

What's that called? Simply a ferris wheel gondola?

From Wikipedia:
Commonly referred to as passenger cars, cabins, tubs, capsules, gondolas, or pods.

I think carriage is a good one for an open type and gondola or pod for enclosed ones. I would also use gondola for enclosed cable lifts up mountains.

I wasn't aware those where also called big wheels. oo
Is that a BE thing or just a Manchester thing to say?

Got another saying on the tip of my tongue, but it won't come out.
"Following the rules..." to the T? Or something?
Like about somebody, who overly fusses over the correctness of something? I know there is also "going by the book", but that other half phrase kind of got stuck in my brain. @_@"

Next one~

lsHarJT.png

I know there is shell, rind, hull, husk and peel. But it kind of feels like shell is just more for clams and hard stuff , rind more like for trees, hull for ships, husk for corn and grass crops like rye, wheat etc. and peel I think I've ever only seen used as a verb.

So I I were to want to say something like
"The oranges weren't ripe yet, but the ____ already had their signature orange colour." Or instead of oranges also apples.
What should go in?

In that phrase I would use skin as it's the surface of the orange, but the whole thing that covers the juicy bit is called an orange peel. Although oranges (citrus fruit in general) are probably the exception to the rule as I would say most fruit have skins.

Back