General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

Ahhh...

Who'd have thought that watching the trailers on AL's BD of Anthem of the Heart would make me understand the character design of Chuck from Panty & Stocking?

Chuck's name with Japanese pronunciation is Chakku, which is the same as the Japanese word for a zip or fastener, hence his design:

Cleverer than I even realised!

So I have noticed a bit of a trend with some newer shows, some random episodes have scene's playing into the OP usually when this happens it is like the last episode so I am cool if this starts to become the norm, more content in episodes!

Bit of a last minute request, but does anyone have any questions they want put to Masaaki Yuasa at the Q&A for Night is Short, Walk on Girl? Can't promise I'll get picked to ask, but as I don't have anything specific in mind, I'm open to suggestions.

Tangentially, if they're localising in the first place, I wish they would change more names to flow better in English sometimes. Thinking of Fireworks, Should We See It from the Side or the Bottom?, and And You Thought There is Never a Girl Online? - both of them make me twitch horribly.

(I'll split this discussion off if it continues to run so we don't derail too much.)
Sorry to steal @Rui's quote from a different thread here, but I was just thinking about this again. I haven't seen either, but surely Is the Order a Rabbit? and What Do You Do at the End of the World? Are You Busy? Will You Save Us? are another couple of prime examples of this!

EDIT: Add to that Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere! :mad:

Last edited:
Do you think any of the less well initiated young people nowadays still call anime 'manga cartoons' as was pretty much the norm for my generation. Has Manga UK lost too much cultural influence, do we think?

Do you think any of the less well initiated young people nowadays still call anime 'manga cartoons' as was pretty much the norm for my generation. Has Manga UK lost too much cultural influence, do we think?
I'm 28 myself so I don't think I'm as young as the people you might be thinking of, but I've always called it anime and I imagine those exposed to it on their streaming subscriptions would call it anime. We seem to take words straight out of Japan to describe something from Japan these days

You're the same age as me. I definitely called anime 'manga' for probably a couple of years after the point I started buying some anime on VHS from Forbidden Planet and HMV, so, say that started at 12, I was probably 14 when I realised 'anime' was the proper term, or maybe older. Many other people who weren't huge fans still knew Japanese cartoons were a specific thing, and could recognise the look, but called them 'manga'. Like for example, when I was doing a media course in college years ago, we actually had a lesson where my teacher showed us a clip from Urotsukidoji (!) and thus introduced the class to anime, but she kept calling it 'manga'. I stayed silent of course, as I didn't think getting pedantic about this kind of topic (especially considering the film which was being shown) would impress the girl in my class who I had a crush on, but a lone classmate engaged in a 5 minute debate with our teacher over the point, and the rest of the class (who weren't seasoned anime people) all took our teacher's side that 'manga' was the proper term. I stayed silent, in fact, I think I even half heartedly mumbled " I think those Chinese cartoons are called manga, man" in a desperate attempt to cover up my love for such an 'uncool' thing. I still get pangs of guilt about this.

P.S I'm sorry I seem to always to include a crumby anecdote in my posts...

You're the same age as me. I definitely called anime 'manga' for probably a couple of years after the point I started buying some anime on VHS from Forbidden Planet and HMV, so, say that started at 12, I was probably 14 when I realised 'anime' was the proper term, or maybe older. Many other people who weren't huge fans still knew Japanese cartoons were a specific thing, and could recognise the look, but called them 'manga'. Like for example, when I was doing a media course in college years ago, we actually had a lesson where my teacher showed us a clip from Urotsukidoji (!) and thus introduced the class to anime, but she kept calling it 'manga'. I stayed silent of course, as I didn't think getting pedantic about this kind of topic (especially considering the film which was being shown) would impress the girl in my class who I had a crush on, but a lone classmate engaged in a 5 minute debate with our teacher over the point, and the rest of the class (who weren't seasoned anime people) all took our teacher's side that 'manga' was the proper term. I stayed silent, in fact, I think I even half heartedly mumbled " I think those Chinese cartoons are called manga, man" in a desperate attempt to cover up my love for such an 'uncool' thing. I still get pangs of guilt about this.

P.S I'm sorry I seem to always to include a crumby anecdote in my posts...
Shocking! Those who say nothing are just as bad! Na I'm kidding. Was it uncut though? That could have landed your teacher in jail if it was! I still would have been that guy correcting the teacher, who cares I had no friends in school/college and I wasn't trying to impress anybody. I only really got into anime when the internet was user friendly ( and only really could watch DBZ on Toonami before that) but I feel like I've always been into anime kind of stuff. I wouldn't say anyone is wrong calling it manga but considering manga is also a comic it hits the ear wrong

Would you say in general that streaming services are killing sales of blu ray and dvds?
Nah. If anything they're a good alternative for people who can't afford to buy physical media, as anime is in general more expensive than live action movies and TV shows to purchase (for the obvious reason that it's a niche market) and makes blind-buying less attractive. I won't ever stop buying discs though, mainly for the better picture quality they offer over streaming (this is really apparent now my main viewing screen is a 4k monitor - 1080p streams look like SD to me now, upscaled Blu-rays look much better) but also for the fact I like to have a hard copy that can never be yanked from a streaming service so I can't watch it again.

The move into streaming was a smart move given the number of people who pirate and kids/teenagers with less disposable income who are interested in anime - It's the same as when the music industry realised it was better to sell music digitally themselves rather than trying to stop all piracy. It's never going to stop, you just have to offer a reasonably priced legal way to lure people away from it.

Last edited:
Yeh
Nah. If anything they're a good alternative for people who can't afford to buy physical media, as anime is in general more expensive than live action movies and TV shows to purchase (for the obvious reason that it's a niche market) and makes blind-buying less attractive. I won't ever stop buying discs though, mainly for the better picture quality they offer over streaming (this is really apparent now my main viewing screen is a 4k monitor - 1080p streams look like SD to me now, upscaled Blu-rays look much better) but also for the fact I like to have a hard copy that can never be yanked from a streaming service so I can't watch it again.

The move into streaming was a smart move given the number of people who pirate and kids/teenagers with less disposable income who are interested in anime - It's the same as when the music industry realised it was better to sell music digitally themselves rather than trying to stop all piracy. It's never going to stop, you just have to offer a reasonably priced legal way to lure people away from it.
When you put it like that it makes sense :)

I think they're harming sales of low quality cheap releases, but probably boosting sales of expensive deluxe editions few would ever have bought blind. I think that piracy harms it way, way, way more, and legal streaming is fundamentally no different to the legal broadcast arrangements which aired the anime in the first place. My buying is unaffected by my subscriptions to streaming services, though I probably avoid really bad shows a lot better (and conversely try out things I might never have bought blind).

R

Yeh true I mean myself use funimation and wow I've just currently watched suzuka and I loooooved it so now I will buy dvd. Where as people I suppose watch it....yeh they enjoy it buy then think...why buy it. So it's got it's up and downs I suppose

So, I thought I might quote this in this thread instead:
516 episodes before the timeskip
I didn't actually know One Piece had a timeskip. I've had the chance to read a bit of it thanks to one of my local libraries having some omnibus volumes, but only up to volume 12.

How long is the timeskip, then?

Back