General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

I'm a miserable sod and I've recently been watching K-on! and am really enjoying it. I love the characters and their interactions, and how the show manages to be interesting throughout. Kinda sad that there's only two seasons tbh since I only have two episodes left :confused: especially since it often leaves a smile on my face :)

Was thinking of Evangelion recently actually, but I was thinking about End of Eva and how maybe looking back it was a masterpiece after all. But I've never really seen the proper series, so maybe I'm in no position to rate EoE one way or another, maybe I should watch it.

Eccentric family is a good recommendation, been meaning to get back into it after I watched the first four eps and really liked it.

Might get on Tenchi too, as similar to EoE my estimation of that show has greatly improved recently despite me not being too hot on it when it was on Cartoon Network. Maybe it's because the harem shows we have now seem so much worse. You might say I have a Need for Tenchi after all.

Thanks for the recommendations

I've never really seen the proper series, so maybe I'm in no position to rate EoE one way or another, maybe I should watch it.
I throw my hands up in despair. First people watching Fire Walk With Me before Twin Peaks and now this...

I think I'd second Niea_7 actually. Also have you seen Haibane Renmei and Kino's Journey? I can't remember. Both are pretty thoughtful and sort of... fit in with depression without making you any more depressed I guess?

Edit: And the Kino intro music is enough to relax me into a state of blissful calm on its own. That should probably go in my post in the OP/ED thread as well.

Last edited:
Watching Fire walk with me before the series didn't do a thing to ruin Twin Peaks for me and others have coped just fine as well. :p The new series is very fascinating, episode 8 is truly...something.
Haibane Renmei is a solid choice, very ethereal and atmospheric :)

But... it's... not... how you're SUPPOSED to do it! Argh!

*flips table*

Seriously though, you guys are of course free to do what you like and free to do it wrong. And yeah, while this also probably belongs in another thread, episode 8 was the point where my theory the show was easing off the weirdness and into a more traditional narrative went crashing out of the window (for a solid ten minutes, being replayed over and over again, in flickering black and white after a five minute shot of just the window, goddamn it Lynch). The last couple of eps have been surprisingly grounded though and for that I'm somewhat relieved.

But... it's... not... how you're SUPPOSED to do it! Argh!

*flips table*

Seriously though, you guys are of course free to do what you like and free to do it wrong. And yeah, while this also probably belongs in another thread, episode 8 was the point where my theory the show was easing off the weirdness and into a more traditional narrative went crashing out of the window (for a solid ten minutes, being replayed over and over again, in flickering black and white after a five minute shot of just the window, goddamn it Lynch). The last couple of eps have been surprisingly grounded though and for that I'm somewhat relieved.

Yeah I agree episode 8 was just bizarre but it had a performance by NIN so it was worth it. Was like Eraserhead levels of strange, and I was just sat there with confused fascination. I'm liking the more grounded story however since it gives all the actors a chance to shine.

I think I'd second Niea_7 actually. Also have you seen Haibane Renmei and Kino's Journey? I can't remember. Both are pretty thoughtful and sort of... fit in with depression without making you any more depressed I guess?
Hither twice for Niea_7! Come for the ambient, aestival insights into racial and economic divides, stay for the wonderful ukulele soundtrack.

Hither twice for Niea_7! Come for the ambient, aestival insights into racial and economic divides, stay for the wonderful ukulele soundtrack.

This sounds like just the ticket! I've somehow never even heard of this show before! And it's from 2000 too, which was a pretty good time for anime, so that bodes well. Spiffing.

Haiban Remei has long been on my to watch list, so thanks for reminding me, Ayase. I think I watched the first ep and really like it, but I then got distracted and forgot to continue.

I haven't seen any of the anime that's been recommended actually, so that's cool. It does pay to ask for recommendations!

Reading the last page about being in the right mood to watch something reminded me I wanted to find shikibane hime. It starts almost like a hero/exorsist series that shows only a specific type of person can take on the villians, by the time you get familiar with the characters and the show wants an actual plot it just makes you watch the characters going through some really depressing stuff

I absolutely hate, hate, when a series has a male and female protagonist that are obviously in love with each other but they never admit to each other and it drags on and never gets fulfilled.

I absolutely hate, hate, when a series has a male and female protagonist that are obviously in love with each other but they never admit to each other and it drags on and never gets fulfilled.
I finished watching shikibane hime the other day and it's kind of like this. The girl pretty much says she won't fully accept the guy. Then again it's too common a formula, there are a few harems that do this too. Honest to god, harems, where the point is to end up with any of the girls and thd guy still doesn't do it

this 10000% it's a real pet peeve of mine. I don't know if it's just poor writing most of the time or an attemt to keep people interested in certain series in the hope of people picking up the LN or Manga. As an anime viewer it seriously sucks though.

this 10000% it's a real pet peeve of mine. I don't know if it's just poor writing most of the time or an attemt to keep people interested in certain series in the hope of people picking up the LN or Manga. As an anime viewer it seriously sucks though.
Definitely, like I appreciate/understand that a series may not get a second season it was wanting but in instances like Amagi Brilliant Park where they have an opportunity to wrap things up in an OVA and don't it is just super annoying and frustrating. All this time they spent on teasing a potential relationship and as a viewer if it doesn't get fulfilled then it feels like a waste of time really, nothing happened between them then why did you waste my time with all that teasing?

Back