General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

There seems to have been a lot of anime posters to be seen in the london underground recently. First there was Your Name Is posters in a fair few stations, and now there seems to be posters for the original Ghost in the Shell (cinema screenings!?!?) all over the underground. What's going on here? Did Manga ent get bankrolled by Hollywood to do this to create more hype for their upcoming GitS film? It's good to see though, I love that film.

Perhaps even more bizarrely though, in Leicester Square station I saw a poster for a new YuGiOh film!! What the frig? When did YuGiOh come back to life (and least in the west?), it has the same old YuGi childman we know and love on it too.

Have I gone back in time?

Saw another Yu Gi poster at euston station today. Who is pushing this? I'm liking how they are getting behind and believing in this movie. I'm thinking to support it too, this may be the first film I see in the cinema in nearly two years! I just wish I had a beloved to go with, as cinemas are historically very lonely places for me, and Yu Gi Oh is more of a date movie than anything else in my eyes.

Saw another Yu Gi poster at euston station today. Who is pushing this? I'm liking how they are getting behind and believing in this movie. I'm thinking to support it too, this may be the first film I see in the cinema in nearly two years! I just wish I had a beloved to go with, as cinemas are historically very lonely places for me, and Yu Gi Oh is more of a date movie than anything else in my eyes.

Manga are. The original Ghost in the Shell is too, posts of that have been cropping up in stations too, I believe.

Rah, J-dawg making power moves yeah. Yeah GitS posters are everywhere. Anime is coming back baby, 2016 is kinda like a Renaissance of 2004. In pretty much every way. I like it.

According to IMDB it has a score of 8.3. That's a better score than both Akira and GiTS. Whoa!

Do you remember that bit in Trigun when Vash is waiting alone outside the spaceship for his brother to re-emerge for literally years, and he sighs and says "I'm so lonely"? That's the closest any media has ever come to capturing my general life experience. I've been waiting so long now for someone to come out of a spaceship and keep me company.

This is something that got brought up in the Manga Animatsu thread. I wanted to continue the discussion, but it's not really specific to Manga Animatsu

From someone who is still new to buying anime sets £40-£50 for a 1 cour is ridiculous, when you can get a 24 episode season of Agents of Shield for £25

I kind of wonder if anime fans are missing the point when people compare the prices to say US TV.

Yes, there are all these reasons why anime is probably always going to be more expensive, but I don't know that is the consumer's job to care? Like, say you're just a sci-fi fan and you've heard a lot about this Attack on Titan thing. You're not to going to sit there in HMV thinking "Do I buy the new season of Arrow I know I like or do I buy this bizarre animated series from a weird foreign country I might not like?" And they're not going to sit there excusing the fact the Arrow release has double the content with how niche Attack on Titan is and how difficult anime production is. (Assuming they're even aware of this.)

Actual human beings don't work like that. Maybe we need to start thinking like actual human beings do.

This is something that got brought up in the Manga Animatsu thread. I wanted to continue the discussion, but it's not really specific to Manga Animatsu

I kind of wonder if anime fans are missing the point when people compare the prices to say US TV.

Yes, there are all these reasons why anime is probably always going to be more expensive, but I don't know that is the consumer's job to care? Like, say you're just a sci-fi fan and you've heard a lot about this Attack on Titan thing. You're not to going to sit there in HMV thinking "Do I buy the new season of Arrow I know I like or do I buy this bizarre animated series from a weird foreign country I might not like?" And they're not going to sit there excusing the fact the Arrow release has double the content with how niche Attack on Titan is and how difficult anime production is. (Assuming they're even aware of this.)

Actual human beings don't work like that. Maybe we need to start thinking like actual human beings do.

Personally, I'm more likely to hold out for a price drop before buying US content than I am anime. I don't buy Chicago Fire until it drops sub-£15 each season, but then, I pirate it each week to watch it so the blu-rays are just to own, not to watch.

Also, I'm not sure anime fans are human.

Maybe we need to start thinking like actual human beings do.
Naaah.

I do see your point, am I right in thinking what you're interested in doing here is growing the market and bringing in new fans? Personally I'm fairly unconcerned about that (to borrow your phrase, it's not my job to care, as far as I'm aware UK anime fans are entirely insignificant to the industry as a whole) - If sales drop off as old British anime fans die and no-one takes their place then so be it.

However I don't think that's going to happen because I'm not convinced many new fans are brought into the hobby through blind-buying a cheap physical media release. I got into anime via seeing Ghost in the Shell on TV, and then friends who already liked anime recommending me more stuff to watch, which I'd then buy despite the cost (which as I've mentioned before was even higher back then) because I liked the product so much. These days there are even less barriers to entry because new fans don't even need to buy physical media to try out new shows via streaming.

Double post, but I'm not sure this really fits anywhere else.

Went to US Amazon to order the GitS New Movie, since it was only $16.99 which should fly below the import threshold and will match better with my US Arise volumes. Except... It's apparently "Exclusively for Prime Members". Not even the low price, just the product itself. You cannot buy it directly from Amazon unless you're a Prime member. What the hell is this? "We won't sell you something unless you pay us money first?" I think I'm officially done with Amazon's crap.

Yeah the pushing of Prime via lockouts like that really didnt endear me to the service when I first noticed it (they locked Star Wars on BD in the US for a while)! Do they really think people go 'oh man, I wanna buy this £10 BD but can't without subscribing to a £79 service I don't even want, ok better do that then'? If I ever subscribe to Prime it will be because they add something worth that cost to me, not because they tried to force me when other shops exist and don't do that...

R

wow, just read that Neo-Nazi thread from a few months back. Very bizarre indeed. Glad I never used that site.

My recent anime thought has been perhaps I should start watching some. I've been a bit down and depressed of late and when I'm like that I prefer to read, so that's all I've been doing all year really. Maybe it's time to try animation again? I got the idea of Tenchi from the review thread, but perhaps the progenitor of the harem show isn't what I need in my life after all right now? Or is it?

Any recommendations for a despondent chappy?

Anything Evangelion.

3a21acde58544407c1438dfda585aaf4-d8z1emh.png

(Of course.)

wow, just read that Neo-Nazi thread from a few months back. Very bizarre indeed. Glad I never used that site.

My recent anime thought has been perhaps I should start watching some. I've been a bit down and depressed of late and when I'm like that I prefer to read, so that's all I've been doing all year really. Maybe it's time to try animation again? I got the idea of Tenchi from the review thread, but perhaps the progenitor of the harem show isn't what I need in my life after all right now? Or is it?

I'm unsure how you feel about Slice of Life stuff, but the super innocent and cutesy moe of stuff like Kiniro Mosaic, GochiUsa, Non Non Biyori and the like just warm my soul. Might not be your cup of tea but it does the job for me.

The Eccentric Family, it's good and also weird. Definitely something to give a different perspective if you're feeling a little at sea.

Though Tenchi is fun too, and quirky despite being a harem (at least early on; the later adaptations kind of lost me).

R

I'd recommend Barakamon. I'm a miserable, grumpy old git and I have to admit, even I felt warm and fluffy on the inside after watching it :D

Back