General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

Would you say in general that streaming services are killing sales of blu ray and dvds?

I've never used a streaming service personally, and nothing against those who do, but I just prefer to have something tangible, something I can hold. Plus as an artist, I appreciate the DVD cover art and stuff. Plus, you often get bonus stuff on DVD's and Blu Rays!

I've never used a streaming service personally, and nothing against those who do, but I just prefer to have something tangible, something I can hold. Plus as an artist, I appreciate the DVD cover art and stuff. Plus, you often get bonus stuff on DVD's and Blu Rays!

I’m starting to get into streaming more recently although I agree holding a nice release is just so much better!

So, I thought I might quote this in this thread instead:

I didn't actually know One Piece had a timeskip. I've had the chance to read a bit of it thanks to one of my local libraries having some omnibus volumes, but only up to volume 12.

How long is the timeskip, then?
Luffy and the strawhat crew train for two years.

I’m starting to get into streaming more recently although I agree holding a nice release is just so much better!

Nah that's cool, I get that many people just prefer the convenience of streaming; I'm just old fashined I guess, I'm the same with music! Though I do listen to a lot on YT. If I like enough stuff by an artist though I'll buy the album. My area is terrible though. We used to have bothan MVC and a HMV, and both have long since gone. I used to love rifling though DVD's and CDs in a good old music shop! Although, HMV always played their music REALLY loud, like headache inducing loud, and I rarely get headaches!

Ah, gotcha. Has anything beaten Evangelion 3.0's 14-year timeskip yet, I wonder.

I often wonder why anime use filler episodes instead of just saying "many years later". InuYasha probably could have been slashed in half if they did that!

I often wonder why anime use filler episodes instead of just saying "many years later". InuYasha probably could have been slashed in half if they did that!
Usually it's to allow the Mangaka to continue writing the story so the anime makers have canon material to adapt. Having filler arcs means they can continue to air a series even when there's no manga chapters to cover.

Usually it's to allow the Mangaka to continue writing the story so the anime makers have canon material to adapt. Having filler arcs means they can continue to air a series even when there's no manga chapters to cover.

Ah right, genuinelly didn't know that, it's actually really interesting! I thought it was literally just for the sake of it! I didn't actually realise that an anime can air at the time of a manga actually being in production; I actually thought it was more like: a manga comes out, then an anime studio will just base a series off of it. Thanks for the info :)

Ah right, genuinelly didn't know that, it's actually really interesting! I thought it was literally just for the sake of it! I didn't actually realise that an anime can air at the time of a manga actually being in production; I actually thought it was more like: a manga comes out, then an anime studio will just base a series off of it. Thanks for the info :)
No worries, I found it to be an interesting fact as well. There are exceptions here and there but that is usually the reason for filler to exist. Not all filler is bad mind you, but a good chunk is.

No worries, I found it to be an interesting fact as well. There are exceptions here and there but that is usually the reason for filler to exist. Not all filler is bad mind you, but a good chunk is.

I think it's more when something just becomes too drawn out, to a point where you think,"yes, we get it, your sword can do really cool things, can we just move on and defeat the enemy now" kind of thing. But no, what you said makes sense, and I actually think it's cool that the production of anime and manga can happen along side one another. I guess die-hard manga fans are pretty adamant about things being canon as well (only just found out the meaning of that word last year; had to Google it), so rather than make stuff up, the anime studio will wait for the manga chapter to come out. Cool :)

Really does depend on the mangaka and how much the studio wants to adapt. Look at dragonball as a famous example, after the first arc of dragonball akira was approached by toei to adapt anything he's writing. This lead to there being an incredible amount of filler in z as toriyama had trouble keeping up with toei's schedule, the frieza saga was ment to end it hence garlic jr but it was so popular that toriyama started to write more again. Beserks mangaka has been on again off again in hiatus, writing a lot of stuff that might not be safe for tv too, so it's taken almost 20 years to adapt anything past the eclipse

I think it's more when something just becomes too drawn out, to a point where you think,"yes, we get it, your sword can do really cool things, can we just move on and defeat the enemy now" kind of thing. But no, what you said makes sense, and I actually think it's cool that the production of anime and manga can happen along side one another. I guess die-hard manga fans are pretty adamant about things being canon as well (only just found out the meaning of that word last year; had to Google it), so rather than make stuff up, the anime studio will wait for the manga chapter to come out. Cool :)
Or there’s the odd one like FMA where the anime goes past the manga, in the case of FMA they then released a second version FMA:Brotherhood which followed the manga.

What I also don't understand is that often, and anime studio will "re-brand" a series, or make a condensed version of the original. I believe PMMM was like that - a 12 (?) ep series, then there were two movies which were basically just a condensing of the series, and then there was Rebellion, which was the actual sequel (and 3rd movie). Is that just personal to the anime studio? Is it to make more sense of the original series? Not a bad thing at all, but something I've just wondered :)

What I also don't understand is that often, and anime studio will "re-brand" a series, or make a condensed version of the original. I believe PMMM was like that - a 12 (?) ep series, then there were two movies which were basically just a condensing of the series, and then there was Rebellion, which was the actual sequel (and 3rd movie). Is that just personal to the anime studio? Is it to make more sense of the original series? Not a bad thing at all, but something I've just wondered :)
Not sure how many do that but it's been done with attack on titan now. Many studios do it if they can sell the blu rays or make it a theatrical release

I reckon the condensing is just money grab area.

Not sure how many do that but it's been done with attack on titan now. Many studios do it if they can sell the blu rays or make it a theatrical release

Ah yeah, I guess if they can make a few more bob on it; probably the most valid reason. I heard that Vision of Escaflowne was getting/has gotten a re-dub as well, anyone know about that?

Back