General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

I have anime limited's release on that. Cost a bomb but the redub is pretty good

I used to have the box-set years ago, and I got rid of it. I sold every DVD I had because I needed money for my car :(

Not a bad series though; I really liked the animation of it, even if the ending was a bit rushed in my opinion.

Z type of filler is the worst kind, when they pad stuff instead of giving a proper filler arc. In turn makes Z an absolute slog to sit through at times and is just a terrible adaptation, Kai is better but we needed a complete re-animated version of it not the cop out Kai Toei ultimately decided upon!

This new seasonal approach for long running series is a great idea.

Usually it's to allow the Mangaka to continue writing the story so the anime makers have canon material to adapt. Having filler arcs means they can continue to air a series even when there's no manga chapters to cover.
One of my personal bugbears is when an anime series is based on an ongoing manga and just sort of stop without a proper ending. After a dozen episodes of Mysterious Girlfriend X, 20-odd episodes of Gantz and nearly 40 episodes of Guyver, you're just left with "Well, that's all from us, then. If you want to know what happens next, I guess you'd better start collecting the manga or something. But then, that probably has a slightly different storyline that's not completely compatible with the anime you've just watched, so better collect the manga from volume 1 and just ignore the anime altogether now."

And that's if the manga is even available in English. Grr.

One of my personal bugbears is when an anime series is based on an ongoing manga and just sort of stop without a proper ending. After a dozen episodes of Mysterious Girlfriend X, 20-odd episodes of Gantz and nearly 40 episodes of Guyver, you're just left with "Well, that's all from us, then. If you want to know what happens next, I guess you'd better start collecting the manga or something. But then, that probably has a slightly different storyline that's not completely compatible with the anime you've just watched, so better collect the manga from volume 1 and just ignore the anime altogether now."

And that's if the manga is even available in English. Grr.
There's also LN adaptations that do the same.

After a dozen episodes of Mysterious Girlfriend X
watched and read on CR. grossed out my brother with the first episode. problem is, they don't cover anything of note in the series, and pretty much skip anything to do with the idol look-a-like which would have probably made the series longer. with having me invested in a romantic tale that's a bit different, then ending it like... that I have a price on the mangaka's head

Someone needs to go back and do an FAM:B for these!
sounds different but puts me in the mind of Brotherhood. 64 eps. obviously something like that never happens from the usual adaption, constraints on what the studios and networks can do and what not, continuing series and proper 1:1 adaptions ever get so much

I just want Soul Eater and Bleach to get their proper endings. Bleach won't because the manga started selling poorly in Japan but I can dream.

Back