General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

One of my personal bugbears is when an anime series is based on an ongoing manga and just sort of stop without a proper ending. After a dozen episodes of Mysterious Girlfriend X, 20-odd episodes of Gantz and nearly 40 episodes of Guyver, you're just left with "Well, that's all from us, then. If you want to know what happens next, I guess you'd better start collecting the manga or something. But then, that probably has a slightly different storyline that's not completely compatible with the anime you've just watched, so better collect the manga from volume 1 and just ignore the anime altogether now."

And that's if the manga is even available in English. Grr.
Just had that with Shigurui. Many anime are made to sell other things, if it doesn't work out I guess they have to drop it instead of spending more money.
The 2 long running series I've read had long seasons that were very faithful. FMA:B obviously was a second attempt after the manga was finished, I'm not sure how much of Death Note was done before the anime started.

The manga I've read that were turned into films obviously suffer from cuts. With both A Silent Voice and In This Corner of the World I could tell something was missing before I read them and indeed after reading them I felt important stuff was missing, but with anime originals you get a full story as what you see is what was originally intended by the creator/writer. So Your Name. and Anthem of the Heart are films that I like better than the first 2 mentioned. Obviously there's a risk to doing that because of the unknowns. My favourite show this season is also an anime original BTW.

With both A Silent Voice and In This Corner of the World I could tell something was missing before I read them and indeed after reading them I felt important stuff was missing, but with anime originals you get a full story as what you see is what was originally intended by the creator/writer. So Your Name. and Anthem of the Heart are films that I like better than the first 2 mentioned.
Yeah, you know, I maintain that Anthem of the Heart has superior characterisation to A Silent Voice as a film. Don't know if that'd be regarded as a bit controversial or not, but...

My favourite show this season is also an anime original BTW.
Is that A Place Further than the Universe?

Oh my god. Get a load of this for coincidence. I was messaging with a guy I got talking to at last year's Scotland Loves Anime festival, and we were talking about what we were watching. He'd just finished Neon Genesis Evangelion, and I mentioned Pop Team Epic. This was his exact response (censored for the sake of integrity here):
It's like a sh*tpost that I love for existing but also hate because it's so worthless!

Sound familiar?
It's basically sh*tpost the anime, totally random- sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's too out there to raise a chuckle

How about that!

Oh my god. Get a load of this for coincidence. I was messaging with a guy I got talking to at last year's Scotland Loves Anime festival, and we were talking about what we were watching. He'd just finished Neon Genesis Evangelion, and I mentioned Pop Team Epic. This was his exact response (censored for the sake of integrity here):

Sound familiar?

How about that!
IMG_1292.GIF

Sound familiar?

How about that!
Maybe they frequent the forum and stole the idea! I smell intrigue and plots!

Back