General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

Did someone say lagaan, blood brother?
qaS18mF.gif

I must admit I do like the visual "look" of it; I'm drawn to really stylised animation as opposed to the more "rigid" realistic looking stuff...

Something about Gurren Lagann never clicked for me, but I'd struggle to tell you exactly what. Never been keen on Gainax's output post FLCL in general though.

Something about Gurren Lagann never clicked for me, but I'd struggle to tell you exactly what. Never been keen on Gainax's output post FLCL in general though.
Fair play, can't win 'em all! ;)

I don't know that much about anime/manga since I haven't really seen/read many titles, and I am a bit very...fussy, but as an artist I guess I can have an input regarding general styles that I like? I do like the visual style of studios like Clamp and SHAFT, especially the Madoka series/film. The theatrical aspects are really visually appealing for me, and I love the overall character design. I've not seen Cardcaptor Sakura, but I love the cutesy style of that too. I loved Pokemon for it's simple and bold style (I always found Pikachu really hard to draw though), and I am also a big fan of Yoshiyuki Sadamoto's artstyle, even as an artist (disregarding the manga aspect) - I just love Rei's and Kaworu's designs! 😅 I really like Leiji Matsumoto's style as well, and Osama Tezuka's stuff - both very different in style but equally as appealing to me!

I do just really like stylized design. Yuri on Ice!!! disappointed because, on top of jerky and shoddy animation in parts, I really just didn't like the look of it overall; it looked too..."shiney"? Not sure how to explain, but it just didn't do it for me. I watched all 12 episodes (purely so @Neil.T didn't have to - yeah, you're welcome), but usually if something doesn't grab me visually, I ain't interested!

I guess I'm just a sucker for the "older" animation styles 😅

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, I'm such an opposite of the anime fandom majority, I guess... GL and KLK have always been my absolute two least-favorite anime ever, along with a few other anime I remember trying to watch but ran away screaming - Welcome to the NHK, Baka and Test, This bride is a Mermaid, Watamote, Space Dandy, Fate Prisma Illya something, His and Her Circumstance, every big shounen series, and 90% of all other anime in existence, basically anything with cutesy girls and/or comedy in it. oh well, there's still a decent amount of good, serious anime I do love, so I won't need anyone's pity.... ;):p

Last edited:
Lol, I'm such an opposite of the anime fandom majority, I guess... GL and KLK have always been my absolute two least-favorite anime ever, along with a few other anime I remember trying to watch but ran away screaming - Welcome to the NHK, Baka and Test, This bride is a Mermaid, Watamote, Space Dandy, Fate Prisma Illya something, His and Her Circumstance, every big shounen series, and 90% of all other anime in existence, basically anything with cutesy girls and/or comedy in it. oh well, there's still a decent amount of good, serious anime I do love, so I won't need anyone's pity.... ;):p

There's nothing wrong with liking what you like; I guess what Lemon was pointing out was that you expressed utter contempt for the show but showed no justification as to why you dislike it so much. Like, you describe it as being "utter crap" or whatever, but...that's it! I mean, I could well ask you why you prefer the more serious, "realistic" stuff, because, well, that genuinely holds no appeal to me, visually or otherwise. I don't like how "rigid" the characters look - for me, when they're designed in a realistic way, they lack the ability to become expressive, and I find that hard to get on board with. They become really...unempathisable (probably not a word, but...). Also, to me, they (the shows) tend to be a bit too much like films in terms of how they're animated, and I'm not a film buff at all - in that regard they tend to be quite "heavy" in terms of story and plot and well, my poor brain just can't handle that stuff! I'm too much of a goof, and that's reflected in the stuff I like I guess 😅

I mean, I don't feel like I can contribute in a meaningful way as such since I don't have as much knowledge as many of the boffins here but I can certainly offer my own thoughts and opinions. We all have our different tastes, and that's what anime can provide - something to suit all palletes! For me, a story doesn't need to be overly complex, but so long as there's engaging characters and a visually appealing aesthetic, I can likely get on board with it 👍

Ok, well, I'm just the opposite of you - I totally prefer those deep, thought-provoking anime with heavy plots that are like films, and don't go for light, stoopid comedy, cartoony giant mech, and cutesy teenage girls with watermelon boobs. Gurren Lagann is pretty much the epitome of everything I don't like in an anime, although so are the vast majority of all anime series, actually - it's just that I've happened to watch some of GL, while avoiding other series I know would be even worse. So I've simply developed a strong negative opinion of GL that I can't with the 4000 other juvenile anime series I have knowingly avoided, only because I'll never watch them. :p

My very narrow preferences for anime run toward serious drama series such as Ghost in the Shell, Garden of Sinners, Requiem for the Phantom, Noir, Ergo Proxy, Gunslinger Girls, Monster, Appleseed, Darker than Black, Blood+, Noein, Jormungand, Black Lagoon, Flag, Witch Hunter Robin, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Space Battleship Yamato 2199, Now and Then Here and There, Psycho Pass, Ajin, Death Parade, Joker Game, ACCA 13, and some of the more serious fantasy like Twelve Kingdoms, Moribito, Guin Saga, and Ancient Magus Bride (minus those obnoxious chibi scenes). Most recently, for me Violet Evergarden was an absolute masterpiece, and probably my favorite anime of all time now. I just don't see Gurren Lagann fitting into that list anywhere anytime soon, lol.

Last edited:
Ok, well, I'm just the opposite of you - I totally prefer those deep, thought-provoking anime with heavy plots that are like films, and don't go for light, stoopid comedy, cartoony giant mech, and cutesy teenage girls with watermelon boobs. Gurren Lagann is pretty much the epitome of everything I don't like in an anime, although so are the vast majority of all anime series, actually - it's just that I've happened to watch some of GL, while avoiding other series I know would be even worse. So I've simply developed a strong negative opinion of GL that I can't with the 4000 other juvenile anime series I have knowingly avoided, only because I'll never watch them. :p

My very narrow preferences for anime run toward serious drama series such as Ghost in the Shell, Garden of Sinners, Requiem for the Phantom, Noir, Ergo Proxy, Gunslinger Girls, Monster, Appleseed, Darker than Black, Blood+, Noein, Jormungand, Black Lagoon, Flag, Witch Hunter Robin, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Space Battleship Yamato 2199, Now and Then Here and There, Psycho Pass, Ajin, Death Parade, Joker Game, ACCA 13, and some of the more serious fantasy like Twelve Kingdoms, Moribito, Guin Saga, and Ancient Magus Bride (minus those obnoxious chibi scenes). Most recently, for me Violet Evergarden was an absolute masterpiece, and probably my favorite anime of all time now. I just don't see Gurren Lagann fitting into that list anywhere anytime soon, lol.
The one thing we can agree on is the boobs thing 👍

I guess you don't like Pokemon either then?

:p

Also, this seems to be an unpolular opinion, but I'm not a massive Ghibli fan. I only like My Neighbour Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service. I like some Ghibli animation, it's beautiful, but I'm not keen on many of their characters or the stories, they just don't do it for me. I think it's just the Ghibli kind of storytelling maybe? I just can't get into them! I liked the two I've mentioned because of their whimsical simple stories; perhaps some of the others for me have been too...heavy?

The one thing we can agree on is the boobs thing 👍

I guess you don't like Pokemon either then?

:p

Yeah, no way, I really can't fathom how anyone over the age of 10 could even watch stuff like Pokemon, My Little Pony, Transformers, Power Rangers, or Dragon Ball Z... Sorry! :oops:

Also, this seems to be an unpolular opinion, but I'm not a massive Ghibli fan. I only like My Neighbour Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service. I like some Ghibli animation, it's beautiful, but I'm not keen on many of their characters or the stories, they just don't do it for me. I think it's just the Ghibli kind of storytelling maybe? I just can't get into them! I liked the two I've mentioned because of their whimsical simple stories; perhaps some of the others for me have been too...heavy?

Ha, so I guess we'll never be getting married anytime soon, lol... Here's my "Mobile Ghibli Shrine" just for you to enjoy! ;)

ghibshrine1.jpg

Actually though, I much prefer the slice of life Studio Ghibli movies - When Marnie was There, Only Yesterday, From up on Poppy Hill, Ocean Waves, Whisper of the Heart, The Wind Rises, Grave of the Fireflies - over most of the Fantasy-based stories from Miyazaki. There just weren't any vinyl stickers available for those titles, unfortunately. :(

Last edited:
Back