General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

Yeah, no way, I really can't fathom how anyone over the age of 10 could even watch stuff like Pokemon, My Little Pony, Transformers, Power Rangers, or Dragon Ball Z... Sorry! :oops:

Ha, so I guess we'll never be getting married anytime soon, lol... Here's my "Mobile Ghibli Shrine" just for you to enjoy! ;)

ghibshrine1.jpg

But actually, I much prefer the slice of life Studio Ghibli movies - When Marnie was There, Only Yesterday, From up on Poppy Hill, Ocean Waves, Whisper of the Heart, The Wind Rises, Grave of the Fireflies - over most of the Fantasy-based stories from Miyazaki. There just weren't any vinyl stickers available for those titles, unfortunately. :(

I can see the silhouette of the white dragon "Haku" from Spirited Away". Apparently, Nigihayami Kohakunushi is the full name of the character ("Kohaku" translates to my real name in English!).

Still not keen on the film though...

But...but...Eevee though!

Ugh, that's actually one of my biggest pet peeves that is common in both anime and regular cartoons, and always irritated the hell out of me, even as a kid - I always hated when they add little talking animal side-characters to an animated series - that is one thing that can cause me to drop a show very quickly. For example, I remember as a kid being a fan of the Scooby Doo cartoon, until they introduced that Scrappy Doo character, and I quit watching the show once that happened.

So I just got through watching first love monster and got to say it’s one of if not the worst anime I’ve seen, if not out of everything I’ve watched then certainly in the past few years. Was wondering what others thoughts on it were, if anyone’s bothered with it, and if anyone found any redeeming quality about it that I missed?

Ugh, that's actually one of my biggest pet peeves that is common in both anime and regular cartoons, and always irritated the hell out of me, even as a kid - I always hated when they add little talking animal side-characters to an animated series - that is one thing that can cause me to drop a show very quickly. For example, I remember as a kid being a fan of the Scooby Doo cartoon, until they introduced that Scrappy Doo character, and I quit watching the show once that happened.
Wow you really are grumpy! 😃 😄 😅

So I just got through watching first love monster and got to say it’s one of if not the worst anime I’ve seen, if not out of everything I’ve watched then certainly in the past few years. Was wondering what others thoughts on it were, if anyone’s bothered with it, and if anyone found any redeeming quality about it that I missed?
Never even heard of it tbh
But now I'm curious

Never even heard of it tbh
But now I'm curious
Wouldn’t recommend it in honesty, felt very below par, like the writer came up with an idea but wasn’t willing to follow it through so nothing ever really happens. Unless you feel like watching something to send you to sleep I’d just say don’t bother wasting your time.

There is no training for being grumpy. It comes from years of experience, greying hair, failing eyesight, arthritis, talking about the weather and incontinence...
If I can substitute greying hair for receding then I only have arthritis and incintinence to work on. :p

Yep, I dislike the vast majority anime out there, except for a very narrow-focused slice of the whole pie - mostly post-2000 seinen in nature. I'm not biased - I just can't tolerate all the rest of it, lol... I do randomly try to watch some anime outside of my comfort zone on streaming every now and then, and I may even get all the way through a series like that - but that doesn't mean I would ever buy it.

And yes, I dislike retro anime because I don't care for the older anime art styles. I think it's mostly because it reminds me too much of all those Saturday morning cartoons I grew up with back in the 1960's and 1970's. I got enough of that style back then, I'm tired of it, so I want to see something that looks different or better than that, now.
So why bother watching anime then since you don't like the majority of anime and you sound elitist with the old I only watch serious anime.

So why bother watching anime then since you don't like the majority of anime and you sound elitist with the old I only watch serious anime.
I don't understand what's elitist about only wanting to watch what you like. That would be like me not being able to watch Star Wars or Blade Runner because the Twilight Saga exists.

People like what they like and dislike what they don't so I guess we're all elitist to some extent.

Back