f1VLF9f.png
[/spoilerbutton]

Comparison:
[spoilerbutton]
KGYFIRv.jpg

UVOwWxy.jpg
[/spoilerbutton]

THE COLOURS

*sigh* I'm going to end up importing this, aren't I?

Edit: On second thoughts, I just saw the price+import. Damn. Can I get this with install payments? :p

Come on, Hong Kong! I don't care what you have to do, but please get this series, on this format, with these extras, plus English subtitles.

Then you can name your price.

Can't believe there is no unboxing video of the BD set on youtube (at least as far as I can see). I need to know what this looks like!

It's only been around 24 hours since its actual release date, and it's going to take longer then that to reach anyone who would do an unboxing video.

Mine's cleared customs at Heathrow. Should arrive tomorrow. Although I won't be home until late in the afternoon so they're bound to attempt an earlier delivery now! :(

qaiz said:
You sound disappointed.
To be honest the video is fairly shaky and it's hard to get a good view of it so I'll withhold my opinion until I see a western unboxing. But first impressions are that (for the price) I was kind of expecting more. Sure the content of the disks is going to be awesome. The art book looks nice but there is only so much you can do with a book that is limited in size to fit in a standard blu-ray box. If I were going to (at least at this stage) put a value on the contents of the disks I'd say something like 10,000 Yen. And from the video does it look like there is an extra 20,000 Yen's worth of value in the rest of it? I can't see that it does...

I really hope I'm proven wrong and there is indeed something else in the rest of that box that would get me excited to the tune of 20,000 Yen... But with them constraining it to the size of a regular BD set I think that's going to be difficult.

edit: just checked the exchange rate... I guess I could go up to 15,000 Yen for the disk contents but I'm still not seeing the other 15,000 Yen in the box and book...

That's fine. I personally much prefer this set to the Japanese Lagann set by a county mile and then some, and I feel that the pricing is par for the course with Japanese sets and in general I think that this set at 30k is mega cheap. I mean for example take a look at the Nadia set which retailed for 50k. It's just a digipak:
Or the Haibane Renmei set that retailed for 21k and is just a digipak, a box and a little booklet. The image quality was worse than the DVD too:
Or Lain which retailed for 27k which is similar packaging:
The S.A.C 1st GIG set that retailed for 43k and is just a box and four amarays:
The Big O which retailed for 39k:
Or my go to which I've posted many times on this forum, Patlabor TV box 1 which retailed for 37k and is only the first half of the TV series. Two amarays and a tiny book in a box, and yet I'm happier paying those prices for that than anything the UK has pumped out over the years.
onYH2km.jpg

I'm not trying to change your mind, but just showing how Japanese blu-rays are priced. I feel that Japanese sets generally come with less physical goods and the value is in the quality of the show, the image quality and the art and authenticity of it all. I'm a person who in general prefers these types of releases, smaller, more compact releases compared to the more exotic ones like Lagann, altogether I'm not immune to them either in the case of the End of Eva LD set that I own.

Now a lot of more elaborate sets exist, like Bebop and the aforementioned Lagnn and Macross anniversary set/DYRL set, but I find that those are a lot less frequent.

Yeah point taken on price being par for the course... I guess I was kinda hoping that given this should be the definitive release from now on because of disk content it could also be the definitive release in terms of packaging...

But when comparing it to the LD set for example (is the pic below the LD set you talk of?) it seems to be coming up short...
ki3i2Nw.jpg

Turns out I was lucky and got a clever DHL chap. It WAS an early delivery, and I WASN'T there, but thankfully they put it somewhere safe rather than just take it back! :)

image.jpg

Lavigne said:
Turns out I was lucky and got a clever DHL chap. It WAS an early delivery, and I WASN'T there, but thankfully they put it somewhere safe rather than just take it back! :)

Would absolutely love more pics if at all possible?

msgeek said:
Would absolutely love more pics if at all possible?

I'll take some later sure. I was going to take some earlier but it's an absolute nightmare to capture in daylight!

Now, the long hard slog of muxing the damned thing...... :eek:

Ok, I think I'm now understanding why there are so few pics/photos turning up online of the box set "in the flesh" - try as I might, the thing is almost completely impossible to photograph. No matter what angle you go for, bang, massive light reflection!

On the bright side, EoE successfully muxed with English subs and audio :thumb:

Back