Evangelion 3.33 You (Cannot) Have It

Gavrev

Dandy Guy, in Space
Is it true that Evangelion 3.33 has been pushed back to Feb 2015 now!?? Can anyone else confirm this (not that there's anything we can do about it)? :evil:

According to Amazon, yes.

To be honest, I'm frustrated yes, but I don't mind waiting. I've seen it twice in cinema screenings so have got most of what I'd expect to get out of the movie from it - would be nice to see it again (and with the English dub) though.

I imagine it's more frustrating to Manga UK than to any of us though - as it'll probably be their biggest selling title of the year by far.

Damn, humph and er.. etc.. I've still not got lucky in seeing it yet, but I can nearly quote the first two films, since I, like many, been stuck with watching them for about THREE YEARS now!!!! grrrhaha

It is quite unfortunate that this delay happened because Studio Khara wasn't pleased with the English dub Funimation made (pretty much sums up the situation based on sources from Funimation, Madman and Toonami). Though I'm still curious whether Manga accidently let out a possible release date for the US version since they said they can't get the masters until October 21st, which happens to be a Tuesday where anime comes out in the States.

The delay that annoys me more is the third part of Mardock Scramble - as it was so close to it actually coming out before it got pushed back. And we still don't have a new release date for it.

How long has it been now since the 2nd movie came out in the UK? Over a year at any rate. Just feels like it'd only emphasise further any viewer drop off between the films.

Lutga said:
How long has it been now since the 2nd movie came out in the UK? Over a year at any rate. Just feels like it'd only emphasise further any viewer drop off between the films.

According to Amazon UK, 20th June 2011. 3 Years, 2 Weeks and 3 Days ago.

I watched the first Eva movie but never got around to watching the second one. By the time that one came out I decided it would make more sense to just wait until they are all out and watch them together rather than watch one every three or four years. I used the same approach with the Mardock Scramble movies (I went for the Region A movies for them so I have already seen them now).

Do we have actual confirmation that they disliked the dub? wasn't that just speculation?

I guess of all dubs a good English one is important, covers a relatively high % of potential viewers, be it 1st or 2nd language.

NormanicGrav said:
It is quite unfortunate that this delay happened because Studio Khara wasn't pleased with the English dub Funimation made (pretty much sums up the situation based on sources from Funimation, Madman and Toonami). Though I'm still curious whether Manga accidently let out a possible release date for the US version since they said they can't get the masters until October 21st, which happens to be a Tuesday where anime comes out in the States.

I suppose you don't think about the possibility, but to be honest you don't expect them to hit a "bad dub" for something as high-profile as Evangelion.. If that is the legitimate reason it must have been seriously wrong..

To be honest I was also quite shocked at how long it's been since Evangelion 2.22 when I thought about it.

You know it's really when you get into anime that you actually realise how often dates keep getting pushed back like this.. Can you imagine if Hollywood films kept getting pushed back as badly as these?!

Gavrev said:
You know it's really when you get into anime that you actually realise how often dates keep getting pushed back like this.. Can you imagine if Hollywood films kept getting pushed back as badly as these?!

I guess, the latest delay in Hollywood was Jupiter Ascending (was July 2014 now February 2015). The most offending delay was with G.I.Joe: Retaliation (June 2012 to March 2013) in order to add a post-production 3D release.

I suppose that happens as well then, but it doesn't seem to be on the scale with which anime gets postponed.. It's bad enough that there's a naturally bad turn around, which the likes of Crunchyroll (wonderful as they are!) make a bit more visible.. Such a shame that so many quality titles can't garner similar respect as say Studio Ghibli - though I accept that it's the obvious tie in with Disney that motivates such effort

Seriously?!

Firstly it was due for March (great birthday gift), then August grrr, now 2015… it’s so damn frustrating!

I was holding out (not for a hero) for the dub of this before giving it my first viewing. Every fan I know (friends, Tumblr etc) have given in and streamed, some literally years ago.

Man, I must be one of the only people who hasn’t given in and downloaded/streamed/imported the sub version of this already and what do I get for my dedication?

Screw this, I’ll still buy the BD as I need it in my collection but I can’t hold on.

Sales will plummet as if there’s still anyone out there like me, they’ll surely give in now if they haven’t already.

Sad times.

To be fair in most cases I'm the only person I know who hasn't given in and streamed/downloaded something while waiting for the legitimate version too, whether or not there's a weird two-year delay. Even though I import I'm often spoiled by lame people watching the rips of the same Japanese edition I bought.

I guess this disastrous release will, if nothing else, be the source of some interesting statistics about the importance of a dub.

R

I wish MangaUK would at least lessen the impact by announcing their previously teased cinema showings. Surely they could do a subtitle-only run at Arts Picture Houses?

Rui said:
I guess this disastrous release will, if nothing else, be the source of some interesting statistics about the importance of a dub.R

I can well imagine that it might (SHOULD) also give them pause to think about the issue of torrents and piracy. I too am a staunch advocate of moral and ethical conduct - as an artist myself I can't in all honesty condone ripping anyone off and this is a living for those wonderful Asian artists we all love, as well as some measure of assurance of continuity for the artform itself.. BUT when this kind of thing happens, in concert with the uncomfortably slow pace of foreign licensing to the western markets, it's hard not to sympathise with those who stray simply because they want to SEE THE DAMNED THING.

In a fashion I suppose we're getting a bit luckier these days (or is it only me noticing it lately?) with independent cinema screenings and the occasional, limited, low-key releases in the bigger chains - over the last few years I've been lucky to see "Ghost In The Shell 2.0", "GITS:Innocence", "Arrietty", "From Up On Poppy Hill" and "The Wind Rises" on the big screen, and missed a couple of screenings of "AKIRA", "Patema Inverted", "Garden of Words" and (yes..) "Evangelion 3.33". Still it's a frustrating set of affairs when you consider how much tat is conveniently and abundantly trotted out of Hollywood on a weekly basis..

In reply to people who say a delay just because of the English dub can't be this long... Look at Sankarea and Ben-To.
Sankarea will hit a one-year delay soon due to whatever needs/needed to be fixed, and Ben-To I heard won't be out until 2015 now either.
(And YES, I know Funimation dubbed the TV broadcast versions.. I mean I don't know what edits were made for the TV or home video version in Japan)

NormanicGrav said:
It is quite unfortunate that this delay happened because Studio Khara wasn't pleased with the English dub Funimation made (pretty much sums up the situation based on sources from Funimation, Madman and Toonami).
But complaints about the English dub can now be sent to the Japanese right holders/creators. =P (Hope people understand my logic on this one)

NormanicGrav said:
Though I'm still curious whether Manga accidently let out a possible release date for the US version since they said they can't get the masters until October 21st, which happens to be a Tuesday where anime comes out in the States.
I don't expect 21 October to be the release date, but it could be when Funimation has replication planned for the discs (or when master files are to be finished).
Otherwise it wouldn't really make sense if a release arrives weeks early via TRSI etc in America to wait to give Manga their masters until Funimation's actual release date.
Also, I think they'd have mentioned it at Anime Expo 2014 if it was an October release.

I would however not be surprised by 18 or 25 November as the American street date, with masters and QC finalized the 21st of October. Of course, this is also speculative.

mangaman74 said:
I watched the first Eva movie but never got around to watching the second one. By the time that one came out I decided it would make more sense to just wait until they are all out and watch them together rather than watch one every three or four years. I used the same approach with the Mardock Scramble movies (I went for the Region A movies for them so I have already seen them now).
Yeah, I initially had in mind watching the movies as I received them in my mailbox, but the longer the wait for Evangelion 3.3 drags on, the more I'm motivated to buy them and wait for the fourth movie to be released to watch all of Evangelion.
Another tricky decision will be what I'll decide to do with the series, it's humongous among anime fans, but I don't really have a motivation to watch it.
And if anything, since a NGE series re-release won't happen until 2018 and I expect to graduate college by/about then I estimate having some kind of income to actually support a premium/ultimate edition of the series. That under the assumption, that whichever company acquires the series will go all out on it since it's one of the most demanded re-releases..

Rosencrantz said:
Do we have actual confirmation that they disliked the dub? wasn't that just speculation?
Jerome also hinted at it by talking about the perfectionist director.. (Though it's probably more than just the dub, I think)
If I made a series/movie today and a distributor would come up to me asking permission to dub it, it'd be either "Hell no", or strictly under my approval.
Seriously, I don't want a mess alike life action dubs.. And for all I care I allow a Dutch dub under my supervision and an English dub under my supervision.

That's what I fear with new Nickelodeon-series like React to That and AwesomenessTV... if they ever hit Nickelodeon Flanders/Netherlands they'll get dubbed... And dubbing popular English YouTube-channels/series would be (to me) a big no, as the channels are (most of the time) solely known for their English videos..
And FRED did somehow work to some extent, but even then the most fun thing was his helium voice in the dub.. I prefer watching it on TeenNick Flanders in English, if at all.. (because it wasn't all that great of a show anyway)

Rosencrantz said:
I guess of all dubs a good English one is important, covers a relatively high % of potential viewers, be it 1st or 2nd language.
Yeah, it's important. At least to me on this one.

NormanicGrav said:
Gavrev said:
I guess, the latest delay in Hollywood was Jupiter Ascending (was July 2014 now February 2015). The most offending delay was with G.I.Joe: Retaliation (June 2012 to March 2013) in order to add a post-production 3D release.
*cough* THE LOFT *cough*

Seriously, the movie finished production in 2011, was slated for fall 2012 release, got delayed.. Got moved to October 2013, then delayed to 29 August 2014 and now delayed to TBD date.
The movie will however screen in Belgium in Ghent in October 2014 due to the director of the movie being from Belgium and it was a long-planned screening (and the tapes are just gathering dust so to speak...). But some companies are disappointed by the ongoing delays for the theatrical release for this 'amazing movie'. At this point some Dutch experts said they wouldn't be surprised it'll be a straight-to-home_video release in the spring of 2015..

Actually, anime directors should try what Erik van Looy did! He remade his own Dutch movie into English... Maybe the Japanese should try directing the English dub themselves.
(And now I'll be told off that it has happened before and it was horribly etc.)

Anyway, that was half off topic, my apologies for that.

A re-release of the TV series (RIP ADV) is the obvious end-game for all of this - but yeah, doubt we'll see it before 2018.

It's a shame as well, because it'd sell like crazy - and continue to sell (in the same manner GITS and Akira do) because it's held up in articles as a cornerstone of telly anime and mecha shows.

It could do with a proper remastering too, as the ADV discs look proper grainy on a decent TV these days.

Agent-347 said:
Actually, anime directors should try what Erik van Looy did! He remade his own Dutch movie into English... Maybe the Japanese should try directing the English dub themselves.
(And now I'll be told off that it has happened before and it was horribly etc.).

I believe Hideo Nakata was prominently involved with the remake of his own film "Dark Water", though I haven't seen the resulting movie.. I think it'd be great if we could get a movement together to help inspire the investors into recognising that the originators of these works would be the best people to work with or employ. I could understand some reticence to get involved in all the bulls**t of revisiting a piece of work, but having said that the first GITS received a 2.0 revisit, and I think the Evangelion movies have proven themselves okay. Given that the live action project of GITS keep getting put on hold, and the infamously "shot in the foot before it's started" AKIRA keeps seemingly getting stopped by the justifiable fandom rants (!?) it would make sense to give the live action treatments to someone who might give a damn rather than just trying to create a cash cow.. In fairness I think anime deserves a lot better than it often gets..

Back