Evangelion 3.33 You (Cannot) Have It

LukasROAR said:
Firstly it was due for March (great birthday gift), then August grrr, now 2015… it’s so damn frustrating!
At least we can be pretty sure it will eventually be coming out, unlike the BDs for Karas and 5cm/s which were postponed multiple times then eventually cancelled.

Lutga said:
A re-release of the TV series (RIP ADV) is the obvious end-game for all of this - but yeah, doubt we'll see it before 2018.

It's a shame as well, because it'd sell like crazy - and continue to sell (in the same manner GITS and Akira do) because it's held up in articles as a cornerstone of telly anime and mecha shows.

It could do with a proper remastering too, as the ADV discs look proper grainy on a decent TV these days.

Hopefully AL will be able to do an ultimate edition of it.

Smilies said:
At least we can be pretty sure it will eventually be coming out, unlike the BDs for Karas and 5cm/s which were postponed multiple times then eventually cancelled.

They've cancelled Karas and 5cm/sec? That's surely not a permanent position though? No disrespect to Karas (which I love) but Makoto Shinkai's works can't be dismissed so easily, surely..

Gavrev said:
Smilies said:

They've cancelled Karas and 5cm/sec? That's surely not a permanent position though? No disrespect to Karas (which I love) but Makoto Shinkai's works can't be dismissed so easily, surely..

In the early days Manga cancelled Blu Ray releases all the time (didn't they do it for Haruhi and part two of Cashern Sins too?) If you go back on Amazon and sort by release date you can see all the ones that never came out - I imagine due to projected poor uptake. Obviously the Blu Ray market is much bigger now so Blu Ray releases are a no brainer.

Wasn't there a question about 5cm/sec being picked up by All The Anime as the license was near lapsing and they wanted it for their Makoto collection?

Lutga said:
Gavrev said:
Smilies said:

In the early days Manga cancelled Blu Ray releases all the time (didn't they do it for Haruhi and part two of Cashern Sins too?) If you go back on Amazon and sort by release date you can see all the ones that never came out - I imagine due to projected poor uptake. Obviously the Blu Ray market is much bigger now so Blu Ray releases are a no brainer.

Wasn't there a question about 5cm/sec being picked up by All The Anime as the license was near lapsing and they wanted it for their Makoto collection?

That's correct they pretty much gave up on Blu-ray years back, as far as I know these were the victims:
- 5 Centimeters Per Second - Blu-ray was planned but the Japanese licensor has withhold a Blu-ray version across the English territories, my theory is that it's due to the Global Edition which contains both English dub and subtitles.
- Casshern Sins - Stopped after just releasing Part 1 (they cancelled Part 2 when Part 1 was just coming out, apparently the sales weren't there).
- Darker than Black: Gemini of the Meteor - Planned and was available for pre-order, just never released.
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Stopped after releasing Part 2 due to lack of sales, fan demand brought back the rest of the sets years later.
- K-On! Season 1 - Stopped because of the lack of sales for DVD parts when ironically everyone was waiting for the Blu-ray version (they stated it while releasing the parts that it will be on Blu-ray). Too much cost and risks forced it's cancellation.
- Karas - Planned and was available for pre-order, just never released.
- The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya - Stopped because the Blu-ray disc couldn't work on PlayStation 3 players when ironically the Australian version does. Too much cost as a result of it's cancellation.
- Xam'd: Lost Memories - Same situation as Casshern Sins.

Andrew is working on a way to bring 5 cm/s into the Shinkai collection but AFAIK right now he's trying to sort out the rights to the English dub for Place Promised in our Early Days and Voices of a Distant Star. He's also working on adding Children Who Chase Lost Voices (assuming he doesn't use the Kaze version).

The San Diego Comic-Con is scheduled for 24-27 July. If any announcement regarding the release of Evangelion 3.33 is forthcoming, I'd be willing to ring Ladbrokes and bet on it happening there. Funimation knows that they're sitting with a high profile, highly anticipated release. Plus, Comic-Con carries more prestige and spectacle, and attracts a greater audience than Anime Expo, so it would make sense to make an announcement there.

And while I'm gazing into the crystal ball, I'm guessing that Viz will also be formally announcing the release date for the final volume of the Neon Genesis Evangelion manga.

All the while I'm hoping I am right.

Yakumo said:
And while I'm gazing into the crystal ball, I'm guessing that Viz will also be formally announcing the release date for the final volume of the Neon Genesis Evangelion manga.

Isn't the final volume getting a worldwide release this November?

Either way, I'm waiting for the 2-in-1 edition that holds Volume 13 & 14 to match the first 4 3-in-1 sets.

NormanicGrav said:
Yakumo said:

Isn't the final volume getting a worldwide release this November?

Either way, I'm waiting for the 2-in-1 edition that holds Volume 13 & 14 to match the first 4 3-in-1 sets.

Yep, worldwide release in November. But although Viz have already mentioned this on their Facebook page, they haven't yet released the final volume for pre-order. I'm guessing this will also happen at San Diego.

Gavrev said:
For 5cm/s the BD and DVD were announced together and both were delayed a couple of times. Manga said it was due to problems with the BD and I suggested releasing the DVD now and the BD later but they didn't want to do that as stores don't like taking two SKUs. Eventually they had to do that anyway and the BD was "delayed indefinitely" because of holdbacks. The Japanese at the time was was years old (it was released on HD-DVD too!), however they then announced a re-release including multiple languages....
The Karas BD was initially something of a coup because it was announced before it had even been released on that format even in Japan and would have been one of Manga's first BDs. They clarified recently that the reason for the cancellation is that the HD masters come with the 6 individual episodes while the English materials are timed for the two "movies" and it was just too expensive for Manga UK to sort it out. I suspect the license may have expired now anyway as it was pulled from iTunes recently.

It's been established that the delay was because of issues with the dub. It is now further established that the dub is not yet complete. The source credited is no less than Spike Spencer himself.

At this rate it looks like they are pushing for a Comic-Con announcement. As one of the 50 or so remaining fans worldwide not yet to have seen 3.33 - and one of maybe 2 to have done so voluntarily - I live in constant hope.

Yakumo said:
It's been established that the delay was because of issues with the dub. It is now further established that the dub is not yet complete. The source credited is no less than Spike Spencer himself.

At this rate it looks like they are pushing for a Comic-Con announcement. As one of the 50 or so remaining fans worldwide not yet to have seen 3.33 - and one of maybe 2 to have done so voluntarily - I live in constant hope.

Who are the other 48 then? :lol:

Gavrev said:
Yakumo said:

Who are the other 48 then? :lol:
I have yet to see it (not seen 2.22 yet either) since I would rather wait for all the films to be available to watch together than one every so many years.

Sadly I couldn't resist seeing them as they appear.. Such is life, having never expected this to happen in mid flow hehehe

Heh, I'd nearly forgotten about the good old days of cancelled BD releases. Thread turned into an interesting read.

Rui said:
To be fair in most cases I'm the only person I know who hasn't given in and streamed/downloaded something while waiting for the legitimate version too, whether or not there's a weird two-year delay. Even though I import I'm often spoiled by lame people watching the rips of the same Japanese edition I bought.
This is straight up one of the most annoying things that can happen on the internet.

On the subject of rips and such matters, it's an irony really when you think about it. The corporate world doesn't want you to rip them off and yet I tend towards believing that something as simple as distribution and rights wouldn't be half a complicated or frustrating if they hadn't introduced the damned region system into home media. The only reason it was done in the first place (as far as I know, or can reason) is to control the media market release. They didn't have to, but they chose to implement it and thus the market for multi-region players and internet torrent sharing was born (the former of which I believe is a legitimate thing). Admittedly torrents largel float on the belief of something for nothing, which I don't believe in as an artist myself, particularly now that the market has been brought to bear on DVD's and CD's to the point that you can now purchase them in-store for a more reasonable average price of £5-£7, with some patience, or £3-£6 online. Nevertheless, you can't deny that when the medium of anime drags it's heels with it's traditional east/west delay, compounded by matters such we have experienced with Evangelion 3.33, that people get rightly frustrated. I know with anime it's affected by said films doing the cinema circuit before a release is granted, but that wouldn't be so bad if there were more opportunities to see anime at the cinema here in the UK, and compared to the bloated western film market which frequently seems to have more showings for a blockbuster in one screen alone than there seems to be local people to fill the cinema seats, that this too brews a valid frustration in itself. It's well understood that anime is a niche market, but it's popularity in the west shouldn't be underestimated now, particularly when you have the likes of Crunchyroll to deliver material to waiting fans. You could again argue that streaming if the way forwards, particularly when The eastern buying market seems to favour streaming over collecting (which is why anime discs cost a small fortune) but as far as the west is concerned, where we do seem to have more interest in collecting discs, the DVD/BR market simply needs to reform and catch up. One way they could do this is to review the principle of region coding.

Streaming and online distribution are the way forward. It's cheaper/saves shelf space/and is quicker - and will only get quicker as the market gets bigger and internet connections get faster.

The physical market is already absolutely miniscule for anime. The numbers are shockingly low. It's a niche market, yes, but already it feels like it's largely sustained only by those die-hard collectors that'll buy anything.

Lutga said:
Streaming and online distribution are the way forward. It's cheaper/saves shelf space/and is quicker - and will only get quicker as the market gets bigger and internet connections get faster.

The physical market is already absolutely miniscule for anime. The numbers are shockingly low. It's a niche market, yes, but already it feels like it's largely sustained only by those die-hard collectors that'll buy anything.

All too true Lutga.. It's true that streaming is a cool thing but it's nice to have a hard copy of those things we like. Call me old fashioned (and I think you can now I'm in my 40's) but it would be a shame to lose your favourite anime shows if say Crunchyroll, or any such provider, were to fold :(

The release date of Eva 3.33 is certainly taken on a certain Holy Grail quality. Ask about it on Funimation's Facebook page, and you're pretty much assured to be chided by what I'm sure must be two Funimation's sockpuppets, Floyd Mungaray and Kitty Sparkes.

The latest one however actually calls them out on their explanation that they are working with Studio Khara:

I'm sorry, FUNimation. Forgive me, but that excuse is a little fishy. You could be right, but c'mon, now. The first two films went without hitch, so why all of the sudden is this happening with 3.33? Not to mention the director is Mike McFarland. He of all directors knows how to be close to the original version and his record indicates NO problems like that. I'm pretty sure the Japanese even love his work. Besides, isn't it supposed to be close to the original from the very get-go? Khara all of the sudden didn't like the final product after the dub was done? They should have known all along how it was going. You do work closely with each other, right? Like I said, you could be right, but I'm very suspicious of that excuse.

More surprisingly is the fact that Funimation replied to the question:

The opportunity, and request, to work closely with Hideaki Anno on the home video release of Evangelion 3.33 presented itself to us, and we couldn't turn it down. While we agree it’s taking a while to complete, we are positive that the end result will be something Evangelion fans will appreciate.

Make of that what you will.

So basically Anno wanted to get involved with the dub at the last minute? Wow. I guess he's making sure the film's English dub will connect with the fourth film and avoid any plot holes or side effects.

If this is the case then all power to Hideaki Anno, and I hope it does meet with his creative standards! Plus, looking at it in a Buddhist light, we're not that far off Evangelion 4 now that the third instalment has been so delayed. Still it's been a bloody long haul from the release of 2.22 - over three years.. Let's just get to the release date and celebrate.

Back