Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Re: Defective UK anime discs

ok collection 1 says its feature running time is 485 mins and it has 26 episodes on the discs collection 2 says feature running time of 636 mins and has 27 episodes

A typo? Amazon has run time marked as 650 minutes. If you consider each episode 25 minutes - then that seems to be about right.

One Piece Collection 1 is 26 episodes running to 637 minutes
One Piece Collection 2 is 27 episodes running to 637 minutes... From Collection 2, Madman started creating PAL masters, and the 4% speedup on 26 episodes leaves enough space for one whole other episode.

Cat Planet Cuties

No Australian PAL masters were available, so Manga had to create their own masters. Not quite perfect...
It has subtitles and signs, but Manga are limited to how many subtitles and signs they can how on screen at one time. To their credit, they try and show as much as possible, but in the opening scene, there is screen text, foreground dialogue, and background dialogue to translate, and it gets too fast and too confusing to differentiate. This happens once or twice in the show, and not all screen text gets translated.

Japanese audio is missing on some of the extra features (mostly next ep previews) although subtitle translations for Japanese dialogue are present.

And glitch 1.05:33 into disc 1, a heavily pixellated frame followed by a blank frame.

Yeah One Piece is just a typo:

20130712_144043_zps065ca6d9.jpg

I'm struggling to think where they copied and pasted 485 minutes from though. Have Manga released any 20 episode series lately? :p

Just Passing Through said:
Cat Planet Cuties

No Australian PAL masters were available, so Manga had to create their own masters. Not quite perfect...
It has subtitles and signs, but Manga are limited to how many subtitles and signs they can how on screen at one time. To their credit, they try and show as much as possible, but in the opening scene, there is screen text, foreground dialogue, and background dialogue to translate, and it gets too fast and too confusing to differentiate. This happens once or twice in the show, and not all screen text gets translated.

Japanese audio is missing on some of the extra features (mostly next ep previews) although subtitle translations for Japanese dialogue are present.

And glitch 1.05:33 into disc 1, a heavily pixellated frame followed by a blank frame.

Good thing I have planned to get Funimation's version (It's a Combo pack, though Region Locked)

I don't know if this counts as defective, but I'm only 2 episodes in an Bakuman has some pretty dodgy subtitling. Words occasionally missing, or worded in such a way that makes me think they were done by someone to whom English is not a first language. Like "I'm the only to talk to about it" where there should obviously be a "one" in that sentence or "Did your parents be against your mangaka career" instead of "were your parants against".

In a sub only release, that's pretty significant. I doesn't stop understanding of what's being said, but enough to annoy, like an eyelash in your eye, or a hair in your mouth.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
I don't know if this counts as defective, but I'm only 2 episodes in an Bakuman has some pretty dodgy subtitling. Words occasionally missing, or worded in such a way that makes me think they were done by someone to whom English is not a first language. Like "I'm the only to talk to about it" where there should obviously be a "one" in that sentence or "Did your parents be against your mangaka career" instead of "were your parants against".

In a sub only release, that's pretty significant. I doesn't stop understanding of what's being said, but enough to annoy, like an eyelash in your eye, or a hair in your mouth.

Yes it's defective, its said that Kaze translated the subtitles from Japanese to French to English. Check a few pages back into this thread for more details about this or Page 1.

Another Defective: Tiger & Bunny Part 3

Same reason with previous parts on Blu-ray, lack of extras included.
OP/ED has no subtitles
Locked Subtitles
Some on screen signs not translated

Both the Blu-ray and DVDs present their content with animated menus. As always with Kazé, they are locked away from the user. If you are a hard of hearing English dub fan, who needs subtitles to back up the audio, you’re out of luck here, but given that the English dub translation is looser than usual for anime, it wouldn’t really help... Once more, the extra features are on the DVD only, so if you were thinking of buying the combo set for the Blu-ray, and selling on the DVDs as some people are apt to, think again...

Back to normal for Kazé’s subtitling! Episode 14 and we have Japanese text on screen, Blue Rose’s towel, which isn’t translated at all in either English or Japanese audio streams. And no subtitles for the theme songs once more. Note: Apparently Blue Rose’s towel says ‘Kaburagi Liquors’. See episode 17.

More details via review

Ath said:
Yeah One Piece is just a typo:

20130712_144043_zps065ca6d9.jpg

I'm struggling to think where they copied and pasted 485 minutes from though. Have Manga released any 20 episode series lately? :p
Maybe it's from one of thier Naruto season boxsets?

NormanicGrav said:
Another Defective: Tiger & Bunny Part 3

Same reason with previous parts on Blu-ray, lack of extras included.
OP/ED has no subtitles
Locked Subtitles
Some on screen signs not translated

Both the Blu-ray and DVDs present their content with animated menus. As always with Kazé, they are locked away from the user. If you are a hard of hearing English dub fan, who needs subtitles to back up the audio, you’re out of luck here, but given that the English dub translation is looser than usual for anime, it wouldn’t really help... Once more, the extra features are on the DVD only, so if you were thinking of buying the combo set for the Blu-ray, and selling on the DVDs as some people are apt to, think again...

Back to normal for Kazé’s subtitling! Episode 14 and we have Japanese text on screen, Blue Rose’s towel, which isn’t translated at all in either English or Japanese audio streams. And no subtitles for the theme songs once more. Note: Apparently Blue Rose’s towel says ‘Kaburagi Liquors’. See episode 17.

More details via review
They're still keeping that **** up? Even Viz has subtitles for the OP/ED/Signs, so after the complaints regarding the first half of the show Kaze have absolutely no excuse not to.

Steins;Gate Part 1

Don't get too worried, it's just a little sound drop in the Japanese audio, 2.11:37 into disc 1 on the Blu-ray, the same place taking PAL into account on the DVD. It happens during a quiet bit, when there's no dialogue and the background audio is dialled down. The only way to confirm is to compare it to the English audio, which retains a bit of background audio, while the Japanese just cuts out.

Incidentally, there were no PAL masters for the DVD, so Manga had to create those themselves. They have the two line subtitle limit to deal with, so not all the on screen text that the Blu-ray translates is translated on the DVDs, and the DVDs don't have the snazzy screen text placement that the Blu-ray does. Also, the DVDs use a subtly different subtitle script to the Blu-rays. Finally, the audio commentaries and the textless credits are Blu-ray exclusives in the UK.

Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere: Season 1 - Possible Defective for Blu-ray

Unfortunately we didn't get to check out the Blu-Ray release for this series as check discs weren't available, but as a word of warning we believe there to be video issues with part of episode seven on the Blu-Ray discs hitting retail in the UK which manifest themself as image aliasing and what appears to be a reduction in resolution for half of the episode. Thankfully, our DVD was free from this issue, and looked like a decent enough video transfer that gets no complaint from us. Audio is also strong, making the most of the show's diverse and occasionally thumping soundtrack and matching a strong Japanese voice cast with an equally enjoyable English dub.
Source

Persona 4 The Animation: Box 3 - Defective for Blu-ray/DVD Combo

Yet again we have a total fail when it comes to subtitling. Kazé refuse to show caption translations and dialogue simultaneously for viewers of the Japanese audio version, which means that for much of the disc, most of the on screen text and captions are not translated. Most of the shop signs, the posters, road signs, and the like are missing. There are more than a few moments of plot specific on screen text, mobile phone text messages and shadow character game show titles that aren’t translated. For the Blu-ray it’s a simple matter of skipping back, and using the popup menu to briefly change audio tracks, inconvenient at worst, although you won’t know how many captions you have missed unless you watch the dub version in full. The best case scenario on this disc is that an episode will have three or four captions in the English dub that won’t be in the Japanese version. Then along comes episode 19, which has a lot of screen captions that are translated in the Japanese version, because they appear when no one is speaking. They are inconsequential. The captions of consequence happen when people are speaking and don’t appear in episode 19, but because it’s so full of caption translations, you begin to suspect that it’s fixed, when it really isn’t.
The big extra on this disc is the OVA episode, No One Is Alone.....Incidentally, the pop-up menu doesn’t work for this episode, so when the captions aren’t translated in the Japanese dub, you’re just as screwed as you would be with the DVDs.
Once again this disc is locked up tight. No changing audio or subtitles with your remote on the fly and no convenient pop-up menu for you to do so while watching an episode. Worse, the player won’t hold your place on the disc in memory, so if you escape to the main menu to change audio, you’ll have to start the episode from the beginning again. With the problem with captions, it really rules out the DVD for watching the Japanese audio version.
Source

So many "mistakes" happening lately on uk discs... I start to wonder if its not better to fully go to r1 myself even though they are a bit more expensive.

bakum4tsu said:
So many "mistakes" happening lately on uk discs... I start to wonder if its not better to fully go to r1 myself even though they are a bit more expensive.

With these mistakes, I've pretty much given up on the UK anime market (well exceptions include All the Anime and some of MVM's Blu-ray stuff). Aniplex, Funimation and Sentai have done better versions of the products despite being region locked to A or 1. The UK does have an advantage in some cases, for instance Kids on the Slope BD defective-free, and FLCL BD will use the Australian masters that had better upscaling than Funimations. For the five that I have; Baccano!, Baka & Test S1, Black Lagoon S1/S2, Clannad and Ga-Rei-Zero; with the exception of Black Lagoon they had no Blu-ray release because of various reasons. I'm okay with getting more imports but at the same time is damaging the sales for the UK versions.

Edited my response to make some sense.

While I can't be sad about damaging the sales of poorly-made UK editions, these two series would be a bad example of the US doing better versions when one is the source of the problem and the other has no equivalent US release at all ;)

I'm not adding Horizon (yet?) as it's just the reviewer speculating that a video problem from the US release might be on the UK discs too. While they're probably right given past performance, there's always a chance that the UK licensor has stepped in and ensured the UK pressing is fixed (especially since they went to so much trouble changing the name of the series).

...ok, they probably haven't. But I live in hope that these things might happen.

Adding Persona though as those things are confirmed and actively harm enjoyment of the show.

R

Nightwalker Complete Series... MVM

Another early Siren visual title (from 2009) and more subtitle timing issues

Disc 1 has subtitles in sync, but has 11 seconds of pixellation 54:22 into disc (during credits sequence) and three audio dropouts at 49:58, 59:46, and 1.28:00 (both languages)

Disc 2 has a fair amount of subtitle drift before and after the spoken lines.

Disc 3 has less in the way of sync problems but it has a couple of lines of subtiitles missing in each episode.

Fortunately the dub isn't too bad for early 2000s.

The Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere: Season 1 issue, I believe is on the US BD as well. I am sure I have read about it some where. If you look here under additional screen captures, 8th image down you will see some jagged edges.

I pretty sure the UK version is just a clone of the US version, come via Madman.

Thought I would add this just in case anyone was thinking of getting the US release, thinking it wouldn't have the video issue.

That's what I meant; I can't see any evidence that the US problem with Horizon has made its way into the UK release (I have the US disc). As soon as there is a hands-on report about the UK release it will go on the list, but reporting every US issue as a confirmed UK problem will just confuse people. In Horizon's case there was the problem with the series' title being changed for the UK and the BBFC kicked up a fuss as a result, so it's entirely possible that the discs were tweaked.

There was a clear opportunity for Madman and/or Manga to get it fixed before pressing their batch if either company cared about their customers enough.

Added Nightwalker. Gah, MVM, stop using grotty PAL transfers from Australians who don't seem to check their own discs.

R

Back