Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

BlackCondor93

Student Council President
Based on that information, I'm guessing that the UK release of Mirai was authored locally using the same authoring house as the last few UK authored releases (e.g. Amanchu, Silver Spoon, etc.). If that's the case, this is probably the second release authored by them to have unlocked subtitles (the first being Amanchu).

Iluvatar

Student Council President
It's pretty sad for the Mirai UK release especially when you compare to the French branch of AL who got a big chunk of those extras.

-Interview with Director Mamoru Hosoda (1080p, 37:39)
-Mirai at Cannes Film Festival (1080p, 7:39)
-The New World of Mamoru Hosoda (1080p, 21:05) ("Making-of" name in the french release)
-Visiting Studio Chizu (1080p, 5:51)
-Mamoru Hosoda Visits Toyama Prefecture (1080i, 17:58)

+ the exact same packaging, months before UK.

Gun Gale Online player incompatibility.

Tried on 2 Panasonic decks, I got corrupted graphics and text on the main menu screens. Trying it on VLC, the menu bar failed to load at all. The disc content is fine though

SpaceDandy

Dandy Guy, in Space
Gun Gale Online player incompatibility.

Tried on 2 Panasonic decks, I got corrupted graphics and text on the main menu screens. Trying it on VLC, the menu bar failed to load at all. The disc content is fine though
How you're describing it suggests like files got corrupted in the authoring. Weird that they didn't notice or test on enough players.

Hanners

Anime Limited Representative
Industry Representative
How you're describing it suggests like files got corrupted in the authoring. Weird that they didn't notice or test on enough players.
If it was corrupt it would occur on all players. We actually investigated this on our side when we heard this report (although we're using Aniplex USA's master, so it's out of our control anyway), but for reference this was the feedback we received:

"The player doesn't appear to be honouring the graphic assets themselves. For instance on the Chapters screenshot I noticed that its displaying Prologue as 'loguePro' with the e and P touching, but the asset used for the Active state of Prologue is one image with no breaks in it.

It looks like the player is adding an offset to the X,Y coordinates and then doing a wrap of the image itself. It seems to have left shorter graphic assets intact, such as those for 'Part A' etc."

The feedback has also been passed onto the developer of the authoring software used for the release in case it's something that can be rectified there, but it's likely to be a player-specific issue that's outside of their control.