Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

I double checked the information when it was revealed a while back. It's the same discs as before for the Japanese BD-BOX, so the TV series will have English dub and subtitles (for the main 27 episodes) and the Movie will have the English subtitles. I believe the rest including Parallel Works have no English support (and as you mentioned, AOA didn't add any of the on-disc extras outside of the textless songs with their release).
Thanks! That helped my decision. Looks like I'll be getting the Japanese BDs then (if it's still in print).

Last edited:
Not really a defect, but I did find something misleading. I recently bought Sony's Yuri on Ice BD/DVD combo, and just for the sake of it, compared the BD to the DVD, even though I knew the differences, and discovered that the DVDs were not PAL (despite what the DVD disc covers say), they were NTSC (I didn't notice any speed-up with the music during comparison, nor any of the old NTSC-PAL conversion with the video).

Not really a defect, but I did find something misleading. I recently bought Sony's Yuri on Ice BD/DVD combo, and just for the sake of it, compared the BD to the DVD, even though I knew the differences, and discovered that the DVDs were not PAL (despite what the DVD disc covers say), they were NTSC (I didn't notice any speed-up with the music during comparison, nor any of the old NTSC-PAL conversion with the video).
I wonder if that was because the DVDs were always 1/2 In the American release

Also the Funi and Sony BDs are broadcast masters. Easily indentifiable by the cropped image on the right and left Diff.pics - Untitled
Surprised this is being bought up now as I posted those yonks ago (back when the USBD came out), but it doesn't mean that broadcast masters were used. More than likely they were given HDCAM masters for the show which are stored at 1440x1080. Sentai's release of K-On! Season 1 was the same. I can't confirm though as in all honesty, despite having owned it since release, I've never watched the BD.