Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Not really a defect, but I did find something misleading. I recently bought Sony's Yuri on Ice BD/DVD combo, and just for the sake of it, compared the BD to the DVD, even though I knew the differences, and discovered that the DVDs were not PAL (despite what the DVD disc covers say), they were NTSC (I didn't notice any speed-up with the music during comparison, nor any of the old NTSC-PAL conversion with the video).

Not really a defect, but I did find something misleading. I recently bought Sony's Yuri on Ice BD/DVD combo, and just for the sake of it, compared the BD to the DVD, even though I knew the differences, and discovered that the DVDs were not PAL (despite what the DVD disc covers say), they were NTSC (I didn't notice any speed-up with the music during comparison, nor any of the old NTSC-PAL conversion with the video).
I wonder if that was because the DVDs were always 1/2 In the American release

Also the Funi and Sony BDs are broadcast masters. Easily indentifiable by the cropped image on the right and left Diff.pics - Untitled
Surprised this is being bought up now as I posted those yonks ago (back when the USBD came out), but it doesn't mean that broadcast masters were used. More than likely they were given HDCAM masters for the show which are stored at 1440x1080. Sentai's release of K-On! Season 1 was the same. I can't confirm though as in all honesty, despite having owned it since release, I've never watched the BD.

Junjo Romantica is 2 BD25s, approx 15GB on each. I'd have preferred they just use one BD50 so I don't have to switch disc.
They do it to trick you. They think putting it on 2 discs would sell better than 1, even if the files are identical. It's basic human nature- bigger looks better, even if it really isn't.

I have about 200 titles now after changing my old illegal pirating ways. This thread really makes me wonder why I ever stopped.

I have about 200 titles now after changing my old illegal pirating ways. This thread really makes me wonder why I ever stopped.
The bargains thread is all forgiving - it is also all consuming. Just look at the poor zombified faces of those before you... if it saves them a couple of quid, here's where all those lost souls end up

Edit: on the disappointing thread though, it's not that often... just the bargains thread

In the Aniplex alternatives thread there was a note about Occultic Nine not being good in UK/AUS. But sounds like second hand information and was only about the file size, not what the PQ ended up being with it.
Can someone confirm the quality first hand?

In the Aniplex alternatives thread there was a note about Occultic Nine not being good in UK/AUS. But sounds like second hand information and was only about the file size, not what the PQ ended up being with it.
Can someone confirm the quality first hand?

I was actually debating this myself, as I actually own the UK release, considering the subtitle font is the exact same as most Aniplex of America releases, and it doesn't have Manga's usual issue of flashing subtitles when multiple lines overlap (Manga's discs cannot show more than one line of captions at the same time), considering that Madman Australia's release used the UK discs with the BBFC logo and Manga logo on the disc art (the ACB logo and Madman logo are absent). While I had specifications from the Aniplex Japan release, I can't say for certain about the Aniplex of America release. Most Aniplex of America release use the exact same masters from the Aniplex Japan release, but there have been exceptions, and if AoA's release of Occultic;Nine have the same specifications as the UK/AU release, I may change it to green on the thread.

If any of the moderators feel that my comment should go to the Aniplex Alternatives thread rather than this one, feel free to move it if you wish.

looked at the last couple pages to see if it had been mentioned but couldn't see anything, the links in the OP that contain posts on this website go to this post Yokai Rental Shop Volume 1 Review i tried around 15 links and the only ones that worked were ones that linked to ANN or other news/websites

I'm glad I don't know what banding is coz I thought Castlevania looked great. 😬 (if someone explains it I'll prob not read it as I don't think I wana know if its gona affect my enjoyment!)

Back